Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default improvised weaponry

Is there any class or strategy to make a character very skillful in improvised weapons and doing serious dmg with it?
    Drunken master is excluded.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: improvised weaponry

Hulking Hurler?

*is defeated by ninjas.*
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-05-21 at 04:12 AM.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Hulking Hurler and Drunken master are your best bets in official material, but I'm sure I've seen a class or two that got to use improvised weapons better in third party material.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ask your DM to homebrew the feat "Improvised weapon master" which lowers the penalty by 2.
    can't remember how much of a penalty improvised weapons have... if they have -4 then ask him to ALSO make the feat "improvised weapon grandmaster, master of throwing trash" wich negates all the penalties
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

The Justiciar uses manacles as clubs and masterwork manacles as light flails, but it ends there.

In our group, we use the Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Name of object) if you want to use a specific item (say, a shovel for a stylish bludgeoning weapon or a 10-ft pole bludgeoning weapon with reach). I guess you could allow a feat to reduce the penalty for all improvised weapons, as Shademan suggested.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I tend to focus on the dmg and not in the attack bonus. A idea i had was to make a super strength war hulk(miniatures handbook) with a feat to reduce the attack penalty on improvised weapons. Thus, he will be able to lift 50lb objects easily and do massive amounts of dmg due to the weight of the object.(see complete warrior chapter 4 for dmg for improvised objects). for some reason, drunken master does only his unarmed dmg+ some more from improvised mastery, he does not add the dmg of the object itself(for example barrel of 50lb does 2d6dmg)
    any other suggestions?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It's Pathfinder rather than 3.5, but there's always the feat Catch Off Guard, which gives melee proficiency with all improvised weapons (assuming I remembered it correctly). You're still stuck with poor damage though, so usual leap attack/power attack shenanigans probably come in here.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Theres a couple of homebrew feats in the Netbook of Feats (Anything Goes Combat, Improvised Weapons and Stone Thrower) that might help - if homebrew is allowed.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...7XUQdr42ekbwBw

10. - Top - End - #10

There's a Ravenloft feat called Brawler, which makes a weapon of appropriate design be treated as proficiency (such as a bottle or a sapling)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kosutasu View Post
    Is there any class or strategy to make a character very skillful in improvised weapons and doing serious dmg with it?
    Drunken master is excluded.
    Brawler in Dragon #295. It's a 3.0 class, and has annoyingly difficult requirements, but a 1-level dip removes the -4 improvised penalty entirely (the only 3.x method to do so), and a 2-level dip allows you to apply weapon-specific feats such as Weapon Focus/Improved Critical to improvised weapons.