Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Ranger, Sword of Arcane Order, and Seeker of the Misty Isles <3.5>

Hey y'all! My first build on this forum, and I have a question:

My group in a FR campaign has a pretty balanced party, but needs a pseudohealer

I'm a Tallfellow Halfling (which is treated as both an elf and as a halfling for PrCs, Spells, Domains, ect.) who is considering headed to Seeker of the Misty Isles.

However, with the "goofy" prerequisites, Can a Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order qualify for Seeker of the Misty Isles around 5th/6th level?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Ranger, Sword of Arcane Order, and Seeker of the Misty Isles <3.5>

Be a Mystic Ranger. Seriously, be a Mystic Ranger.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Be a Mystic Ranger. Seriously, be a Mystic Ranger.
    but what about my companion or my Melee Proficiencies? I was gonna do TWF style

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    but what about my companion or my Melee Proficiencies? I was gonna do TWF style
    Animal Companion, pretty much, sucks. TWF does also, unless with various damage bonuses, like sneak attack.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Animal Companion, pretty much, sucks. TWF does also, unless with various damage bonuses, like sneak attack.
    I was aimed to do both ends of the tracks, Focusing on TWF and taking the archery feats on the side to make me not a one-trick pony. If anything, I'll take the Obtain Animal Companion feat

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Two weapon fighting is just fine, awesome in fact if you like quarterstaves and have a cleric friend with Brambles and/or a Spell Storing item.

To hit the 2nd level spell requirement for Seeker, you'll need to be Ranger 8 or blow two Feats (one on Sanctum Spell, and one on a metamagic prerequisite). Personally I'd say wait until Ranger 8. Or if you don't mind the BAB hit, Ranger 6 and Ruathar 2. Ruathar (Races of the Wild) fits your theme and gives some decent bonuses including better vision, skill boosts, and extra will save (which you're otherwise not getting from anywhere).

But I concur... skip Animal Companion and take the Distracting Attack feature instead. (PHB2)
    Last edited by gbprime; 2010-05-21 at 11:54 AM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

To Qualify for Seeker ot Misty Isle
    Mystic Ranger 5, Druid 5, Cleric(Travel Domain) 5, Spirit Shamen 5 .. or Ranger 8
    There are multiclassing options which require 3 levels of the spell casting class and then 2 levels of Ranger. You cannot mix the two types of ranger.

The Cleric is a poor options since SofMI 1 gives you Travel Domain

Weapon options
    Best to go for two handed fighting, with reach if you prefer, and take the Ranger Archery style.

TWF can work but THF is generally better.
    Archery feats are all poor value.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I say Mystic Ranger into Ruathar and then Seeker. That way you get proficiency with some martial weapons for TWF and some elf flavour.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

You know... I had never heard of Mystic Ranger until this thread. HOW did I miss that one? Life just changed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

10. - Top - End - #10

I can only take 1 PrC (hate the DM), so Ruithar is out. However, the Mystic Ranger is a cool. Distracting Shot seems underpowered. Besides, my plan is to utilize combat and low-level spellcasting, carrying a Bone Bow and a pair of Scimitars to fight through an Orc and Goblin horde to save a Dwarven City

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

whirling dervish could be fun for that

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    whirling dervish could be fun for that
    But I want to use SotMI, because it matches the flavor. Granted, not optimal, but he's a Tallfellow Halfling who is a Noble in Elven Society

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

a pair of Scimitars to fight through an Orc and Goblin horde to save a Dwarven City

I agree with taking Mystic Ranger, you can take TWF feats on your normal feats, get archery feats for free (if a bit later) and can take Animal Cohort for your black panther.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post

I agree with taking Mystic Ranger, you can take TWF feats on your normal feats, get archery feats for free (if a bit later) and can take Animal Cohort for your black panther.
    okay! okay! I understand. and I was actually going with a dire boar for my companion

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

okay! okay! I understand. and I was actually going with a dire boar for my companion
    Then forget TWF and get a lance! DIRE BOAR CAVALRY, CHAAAAAARGE!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

16. - Top - End - #16

Then forget TWF and get a lance! DIRE BOAR CAVALRY, CHAAAAAARGE!
    Uh. No. Not proficient in Lance. Not burning a feat for that...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Uh. No. Not proficient in Lance. Not burning a feat for that...
    It's just -4.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

It's just -4.
    Then I can't hit anything short of a wall. I'll stick with Scimmys (DM said Tallfellows get Elven Proficiencies)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Then I can't hit anything short of a wall. I'll stick with Scimmys (DM said Tallfellows get Elven Proficiencies)
    Charge is +2 to hit, so just -2 penalty. TWF is the same, and you don't do much damage on the rounds you have to move, unless you have pounce (which you should get).

I don't know about FR, but default elves don't get Scimitar proficiency.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Charge is +2 to hit, so just -2 penalty. TWF is the same, and you don't do much damage on the rounds you have to move, unless you have pounce (which you should get).

I don't know about FR, but default elves don't get Scimitar proficiency.
    DM ditched Rapier for Tallfellows for scimmys

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

DM ditched Rapier for Tallfellows for scimmys
    Scimitars are not light weapons, meaning they suck for TWF.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

So you use a dagger in your off hand. No biggie.

Or skip the whole thing and use a quarterstaff. Brambles or Spikes, your choice.
    Last edited by gbprime; 2010-05-21 at 02:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

...You're a ranger, aren't you? Lances are martial weapons. Rangers are proficient in Martial weapons. Where's nonproficiency coming from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    ...You're a ranger, aren't you? Lances are martial weapons. Rangers are proficient in Martial weapons. Where's nonproficiency coming from?
    Mystic Ranger? They lose all non-ranged martial weapons.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

If one really wants to TWF with a Mystic Ranger... one could take EWP for the dragonsplit. 1d6, critical 19-20 or x4, your call and you can Power Attack with it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I still say quarterstaff. No feat required, just add Brambles or Spikes. And if your party doesn't have a divine caster that wants to bother, maces work great and come in light varieties.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

If one really wants to TWF with a Mystic Ranger... one could take EWP for the dragonsplit. 1d6, critical 19-20 or x4, your call and you can Power Attack with it.
    You can PA with all double weapons.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

You can PA with all double weapons.
    Yeah, I never said you couldn't.
    Quarterstaves are easily sundered and deal low damage on criticals, though. I'd rather have a more resilient weapon.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quarterstaves are easily sundered and deal low damage on criticals, though. I'd rather have a more resilient weapon.
    As a DM, I'm not prone to sundering the PC's magical equipment. If yours is, that's an even better reason to not spend a feat on a specific kind of weapon.

Grab a weapon augment crystal of your choice, and throw a magic weapon or a spikes spell on whatever you have on you. sunder be darned.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and DFTBA.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Grab a weapon augment crystal of your choice
    Like a crystal of adamant weaponry.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show