New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing VoP.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Fixing VoP.

Possible with a bigger selection of Exalted Feats that don't suck?

e.g. Wings of Glory [Exalted]
    Just walking on water is for lamers.
    Prerequisites: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Stigmata, Nimbus of Light
    Benefit: You may use a standard action to grow wings of light, and gain a flight speed of 60 ft (good). These wings are a Supernatural effect, and shed light as the Daylight spell, possessing a caster level equal to your character level. Any effect which dispels or suppresses Daylight has an identical effect on your wings of glory, which are functionally similar to a third-level spell. If this light is removed or suppressed by any means, then you cease flight and begin to float to the ground as if under the effects of a Feather Fall spell. You may fly for a maximum of 10 minutes per hour.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2010-05-22 at 06:34 PM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fixing VoP.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Possible with a bigger selection of Exalted Feats that don't suck?

e.g. Wings of Glory [Exalted]
    Just walking on water is for lamers.
    Prerequisites: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Stigmata, Nimbus of Light
    Benefit: You gain a flight speed of 60 ft. Maneuverability is, of course, good. Seriously. When flying, you grow wings which shed light as the Daylight spell. If this light is suppressed by any means, then you cease flight and begin to float to the ground as if under the effects of a Feather Fall spell.
    You don't fix VoP by further unbalancing character choice options. The problem with VoP is that it can be used by classes who already compensate for not having the ability to use the magical items in the first place.
    If you wanted to balance VoP you'd make it so VoP doesn't stack with the rules that intentionally accomplish the same thing.

But I do like that feat, I'd change it so it had to have at least a standard action to start it as a (Su), limited times per day, and you need to maintain concentration to keep using it for 5m/level tops.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-05-22 at 06:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

The thread is 'fix VoP'

The thread is not 'fix stupid classes I don't allow without nerfing anyway, and Incarnum, because I'm too lazy to learn how that works/spend the money on a book for it.'

:P

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, a Druid with items is still better than a Druid with VoP. And Monks are utterly screwed by VoP sadly. VoP is difficult to balance because there are a lot of things that demand items in order to survive. DR is one of them. Also, it is very difficult to explain why a VoP character would be venturing into a dungeon with a load of loot frenzied people...

It's a decent feat idea. It means that a level 2 spell doesn't punk a level 20 non-caster with VoP.

5. - Top - End - #5

The thread is 'fix VoP'

The thread is not 'fix stupid classes I don't allow without nerfing anyway, and Incarnum, because I'm too lazy to learn how that works/spend the money on a book for it.'

<3 [Link Removed by Lev]
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-05-22 at 06:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

My interest is purely in the idea of making VoP an interesting option, one that actually grants abilities widely associated with being holy. Every single Tier 1 and half of the Tier 2s I ban or nerf considerably, same for T6 and half of Tier 5. VoP's issues there are not VoP's issues; they are an artifact of D&D's particularly strained conceit of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    <3
    1) Delete that, it's illegal and not allowed here.
    2) I've read through Incarnum before enough to know that it bores me, not interested, not going to deal with it.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2010-05-22 at 06:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a bad idea, Lev. I'd remove that link post-haste.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So can the daylight spell be dispelled to end the flying? If so what is the CL? Character level?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

9. - Top - End - #9

Changes made to opening feat. Danke.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    That's a bad idea, Lev. I'd remove that link post-haste.
    Understood, thank you.
    I've always been on the side of sampling a product before buying it, no insult intended.

11. - Top - End - #11

Maybe give VOP the Winged or Half Celestial templates at a given level (7-9?) it would give them wings, reasonably handy.

But yes. I think with more good Exalted feats it's doable.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2010-05-22 at 06:27 PM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

12. - Top - End - #12

Understood, thank you.
    I've always been on the side of sampling a product before buying it, no insult intended.
    Understandable. It's just not something that adds to the game for me; I have taken a look before, and didn't find the concept interesting, which immediately sinks any interest in the mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Maybe give VOP the Winged or Half Celestial templates at a given level (7-9?) it would give them wings, reasonably handy.

But yes. I think with more good Exalted feats it's doable.
    That's kind of a forced thing. Not everyone should be granted flight automatically, esp. with permanent wings - there's a wide variety of things that could conceivably be covered.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Perhaps extend the benefits of the feat to a Paladin's mount?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14

Refresh my memory as I am not looking at my copy of BoED; is there anything glaring that would come up as a mistake if you made a feat that let mounts and animal companions benefit from your exalted feats? Removed from the issue of Druid Animal Companions being too strong; I'm thinking about the Ranger here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Refresh my memory as I am not looking at my copy of BoED; is there anything glaring that would come up as a mistake if you made a feat that let mounts and animal companions benefit from your exalted feats? Removed from the issue of Druid Animal Companions being too strong; I'm thinking about the Ranger here.
    Looking over the feats available:
    Stigmata could be problematic if the PC expects his animal companion to take the con damage.
    You should specify that it does not work in reverse, you cannot get a template meant for your animal companion.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

For vow of poverty, why not this fix. Seems to address most of the issues, while not giving players too much.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

VoP needs to be fixed quite a lot, including easing restrictions a bit (you can own nothing that costs more than 1 gp, except for class features that are worth money, such as spellbooks, which can be upgraded with 1 XP for every 5 gp they would otherwise cost; you can carry magic items without penalty, though not with the intent of using them for your own benefit; you may use magic items on another's behalf, such as feeding a healing potion to an ally, or using a scroll of heal on another; likewise, you can utilize magical items in times of dire need, such as to protect an innocent from certain doom, but only when other avenues of dealing with the situation have been explored and failed). It also needs some way to get the feat back if you've been forced to break the vow.

I wouldn't mind having the following exalted feat:

PURIFIED SOUL [Exalted, Incarnum]
    Your soul exudes purity, and you have learned to shape this pure energy outside of your own body.
    Prerequisites: Con 13, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty
    Benefits: You may take any [incarnum] feat that you qualify for, as well as any of the general feats listed in Table 3-3: Feats on page 36 of Magic of Incarnum (except for Necrocarnum Acolyte, which is forbidden) as exalted feats granted by Vow of Poverty.

In addition, once per day, you can invest essentia into this feat. For every 2 essentia you invest, you gain 1 point of exalted essentia that is indistinguishable from normal essentia, except it can be invested in another [incarnum] feat of your choice without remaining invested for the full 24 hours. In other words, exalted essentia treat [incarnum] feats (other than Purified Soul) as soulmelds for the purposes of investing, uninvesting, and reinvesting them throughout the day. Once the amount of essentia invested in this feat is chosen, it cannot be altered and remains invested for 24 hours.

You gain 1 point of essentia.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-22 at 07:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You don't fix VoP by further unbalancing character choice options. The problem with VoP is that it can be used by classes who already compensate for not having the ability to use the magical items in the first place.
    If you wanted to balance VoP you'd make it so VoP doesn't stack with the rules that intentionally accomplish the same thing.
    It doesn't. Endure Elements doesn't stack with the spell of the same name; Exalted Strike is an Enhancement bonus (and so doesn't stack with Greater Magic Weapon or Greater Magic Fang); Sustenance doesn't stack with Create Food and Water; Deflection doesn't stack with Shield of Faith; Natural Armor doesn't stack with the Barkskin spell; Mind Shielding doesn't stack with Nondetection, Mind Blank, or Undetectable Alignment; Damage Reduction doesn't stack with the spells that produce it (Such as Righteous Might); and so on. I'm kinda curious what you're looking at?

While you need to look carefully at balancing the feats for it, making feats to help with situations where certain abilities are necessary and normally come from equipment equipment (Silver, Cold Iron, or Adamantine DR; flying opponents; Plot Weapons; et cetera) is pretty much necessary for noncasters to make good use of the Vow of Poverty - and such feats are lacking in the existing ruleset.

But I do like that feat, I'd change it so it had to have at least a standard action to start it as a (Su), limited times per day, and you need to maintain concentration to keep using it for 5m/level tops.
    If it requires continuous concentration, it's kinda pointless, as it means that you can't fly up and hit the flying bad guy with an Unarmed Strike (as Concentration requires a standard action each round).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

i think that vop is perfectly playable with a good selection of homebrew exalted feats. i generally allow players to homebrew exalted feats that are very specialized to their individual vop characters, in order to make sure that they get something worthwhile.

here are two of my own exalted feats:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94571

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78632

pretty specialized, but i have found them to be handy.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The thread is 'fix VoP'

And further clarification, fix means to rebalance a feat which is otherwise too weak, not tone it down as it is deemed to be too powerful.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could go with the incredibly silly "sort-of-kind-of vague text trumps blatantly obvious table" reading.

The sentence goes something like (from memory) "At 1st level you get a bonus exalted feat, and another bonus feat at 2nd level and every even level afterwards". You claim that the part of the written line that says "and another bonus feat" is not referring to "a bonus exalted feat". You do have to take one Exalted feat at first level, but that one Exalted feat is often at least somewhat useful. (It's when you have three or more that they start getting pointless.)

In this way you end up with a boatload of feats. By 6th level you're +1 generic feat (in addition to the extra Exalted feat) over a non VoP in addition to all of the VoP benefits, and it only gets better from there. It shifts character optimization from "make the most of my WBL" to "make the most of my feats". Incarnum have even more of a field day with VoP, Psionics do pretty good as well, and even martial types who are normally slaves to their equipment can start getting somewhere with that many bonus feats. No really, with enough Sourcebooks feats are almost on the level of WBL, with the benefit of never being able to be stripped away.

Even with this incredibly stupid reading, money and items are still more breakable in the long run, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

22. - Top - End - #22

I've always through of fixing VoP by allowing it to provide the benefits of up to X gp of magical items, where X is a fraction of the WBL the player would normally have.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prodan View Post
    I've always through of fixing VoP by allowing it to provide the benefits of up to X gp of magical items, where X is a fraction of the WBL the player would normally have.
    I'm not sure how well that would work, simply because you still get necessities later than anyone else.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    I'm not sure how well that would work, simply because you still get necessities later than anyone else.
    Depends on what the fraction is.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    I'm kinda curious what you're looking at?

If it requires continuous concentration, it's kinda pointless, as it means that you can't fly up and hit the flying bad guy with an Unarmed Strike (as Concentration requires a standard action each round).
    I'm looking at a Gith-Z monk with maxed wis and dex going for apostle of peace which allows magic items as long as they further boost AC.
    That's more than 40AC btw.

The point would be you get to fly around at will as a feat.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-05-23 at 01:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Unlimited fly is good because it aids in combat maneuverability. Your version doesn't.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

27. - Top - End - #27

Meh, I never found VoP that bad. I never pictured it as a way to make your character good, but playable at all within the poverty-prone ascetic framework. Better Exalted feats would be the biggest improvement I can think of though--great place to work.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Unlimited fly is good because it aids in combat maneuverability. Your version doesn't.
    My version is worth a feat.
    Last edited by Lev; 2010-05-23 at 03:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

But it doesn't solve the issue with VoP that they're trying to fix, which is that the Vow makes you completely impotent against flying enemies.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SilveryCord View Post
    But it doesn't solve the issue with VoP that they're trying to fix, which is that the Vow makes you completely impotent against flying enemies.
    I guess the other solution would be to bribe your party wizard to cast fly on you when the need arises. Not every solution has to be provided by the individual players themselves. They are allowed to work as a team and help shore up one another's shortcomings, you know.