Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Under-optimization...

To ensure that nothing is optimized, I use a random dungeon generator found at mythweaver...

It is a group of 4 level 4 characters and they have been having a lot of trouble with the monsters inside... (Mainly kobolds)

I was wondering if there is a grade that I could go by to see how/if they are under optimized they are...

Example: by level 4 you should have about a +_ to hit... a specialized character will have a +_ to hit... etc
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Under-optimization...

Thgis will be a lot easier for us if you tell us their race, class, role in the party and state generation method.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-05-23 at 12:34 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh, and the game system (DnD 3.5, DnD 4 or something completely different?)

4. - Top - End - #4

Sorry about that

Edition of D&D [3.5]
    Party:
    • 4th level Half Orc Barbarian: Main Damage Dealer
    • 4th level Human Duskblade: Main Damage Dealer
    • 1st level Rogue, 3rd level half-elf Bard: Utility and support
    • 3rd level Catfolk Fighter [2 weapon fighter]: Combat Support, Protects against Flanking

Generation of characters: Elite Array [I have gotten tired of explaining the 32 point buy system...]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My 2cp:

Level 4 characters, assuming standard wealth by level (WBL), should each have access to an appropriate magic weapon and/or wand and suit of magic armor and/or bracers.

With decent rolls or a minimum of standard point buy, I'd expect any full BAB character to have at least +10 to hit, even if it's only with one weapon. I'd expect even a marginally optimized melee character to be able to dish out more than 20 HP damage consistently.

Casters should easily be able to have at least one spell with a DC of 18 by this point.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    Generation of characters: Elite Array [I have gotten tired of explaining the 32 point buy system...]
    Just toss 'em a link.

If you've got a lot of spare time (and their character sheets), you could run a simulation to see how tough the combats are. Pretty work intensive and not foolproof though.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I see no one who can heal or really do ranged combat. I think that may be the problem.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It looks like all of the characters in the party are focused on dealing damage in the front lines except for the bard. Since your party lacks any spellcasting classes, the entire group lacks versatility to deal with a threat in more than a few mundane ways.

I'm not sure what to suggest to you other than having enemies that use little spellcasting and spell-like abilities and focus more on mundane threats like ogres and trolls.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sorry about that

Edition of D&D [3.5]
    Party:
    • 4th level Half Orc Barbarian: Main Damage Dealer
    • 4th level Human Duskblade: Main Damage Dealer
    • 1st level Rogue, 3rd level half-elf Bard: Utility and support
    • 3rd level Catfolk Fighter [2 weapon fighter]: Combat Support, Protects against Flanking

Part of the problem looks like no dedicated primary caster, and extremely limited restorative abilities. No Druid or Cleric makes the Rogue 1/Bard 3 the de facto healbot at a time when the party might actually find a healbot useful.

If the Rogue/Bard didn't spec for ranged, as well, that leaves two typical niches under-represented in this group. That leaves them vulnerable to a wider array of threats than a more well-rounded party would be.

EDIT: Me speak Engrish gud.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-05-23 at 01:26 PM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Get the rogue/bard to start UMDing wands of Cure Light/Lesser Vigor, and healing will be taken care of. Drop them some more wands/scrolls and the rogue can be utility caster as well. He'll have to max UMD for this though, and it wouldn't hurt to give him some Masterwork Tools of UMD and/or a Circlet of Persuasion.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I was wondering if there is a grade that I could go by to see how/if they are under optimized they are...

Example: by level 4 you should have about a +_ to hit... a specialized character will have a +_ to hit... etc
    Optimisation by the Numbers
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-05-23 at 02:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Get the rogue/bard to start UMDing wands of Cure Light/Lesser Vigor, and healing will be taken care of. Drop them some more wands/scrolls and the rogue can be utility caster as well. He'll have to max UMD for this though, and it wouldn't hurt to give him some Masterwork Tools of UMD and/or a Circlet of Persuasion.
    He's a Bard. He doesn't need UMD to use wands of spells that appear on the bard list. This includes cures.