New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default No Feats for Psicrystals?

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who believe that psicrystal's get feats as they "advance". I could be wrong on this, but I just don't see anything to suggest this is the case.

Under psicrystal basics it says to "use the statistics for a psicrystal, but make the following changes" The only things mentioned are - saves, abilities and skills. Feats are not mentioned here. There is no advancement line for psicrystals, so they never advance on their own. The HD are equal to the owner, but they do not actually advance except where it says differently.

The common sense test (IMO) is that they would have specifically mentioned feat acquisition if it were true. As a point of comparison, the psicrystal is very similar to a familiar as opposed to say an animal companion (which does get feats). Familiars of course do not get feats.

Am I missing something?
    Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: No Feats for Psicrystals?

You are.

Psicrystals gain hit dice. Ergo, they gain feats.

Familiars do not gain hit dice. Ergo, they do not gain feats.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This is the difference:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Familiars
    For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Psicrystal
    A psicrystal’s characteristics depend on its master. Its Hit Dice are equal to its master’s Hit Dice (counting only levels in psion or wilder)
    Basically, the familiar is "treated as" having HD equal to the master's class level, whereas the psicrystal actually gets those HD (and all the benefits thereof).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The HD are equal to the owner
    It's that line. Unlike familiars, which only have effective HD for purposes of spell interactions, psicrystals get real HD. And HD bring certain benefits just by acquiring them- BAB, skill points, save bonuses, HP, feats, and ability score increases. Saves and Skill points are specifically referred to because they differ from the norm- psicrystals use the master's saves and ranks instead of their own. They don't have to mention feats specifically, because they don't have to mention things that already operate by standard rules.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-05-26 at 10:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

No, you're not missing something. Psicrystals don't get feats. People who say otherwise are like lawyers who follow the letter of a contract instead of the spirit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    No, you're not missing something. Psicrystals don't get feats. People who say otherwise are like lawyers who follow the letter of a contract instead of the spirit.
    We're following the rules. You're not.

We even quoted them, directly from the SRD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

If they wanted familiars and psicrystals to be exactly the same, they would have written them exactly the same.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post

As soon as someone quotes the place where full monster advancement is granted to a psicrystal, I will believe them. The text goes into quite a bit of detail regarding what psicrystal's specifically get. No mention of feats anywhere.
    Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    As soon as someone quotes the place where full monster advancement is granted to a psicrystal, I will believe them. The text goes into quite a bit of detail regarding what psicrystal's specifically get. No mention of feats anywhere.
    I believe it's the part where it mentions Psicrystals gain hit dice.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As a player and a DM, I would not allow the psicrystal to gain feats. As Scipio points out, the psicrystal is apparently supposed to act like a familiar (with different wording to prevent HD-dependent effects from always affecting the psicrystal first) and the monster entry does not give it any extraodinary feats.

Of course, others may play with allowing feats for psicrystals, so you can take this as my houseruling, if you'd like. I just find it odd that the psicrystal entries do not mention feats, when every other similar entry (Druid's campanion, Paladin's mount) does.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post

"letter of the contract, not the spirit."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Now, I usually don't get into these discussions, but, if I may ask, what makes you think that what you believe was the spirit, and not the inverse? I actually hadn't thought of the possibility that Psicrystals didn't advance until I came here and saw people arguing about it. It just seemed pretty evident.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    They don't have to mention feats specifically, because they don't have to mention things that already operate by standard rules.
    this.

it´s like when a creature has the outsider type, they don´t have to mention that they get darkvision

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

And how pray do you know what the spirit is?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Now, I usually don't get into these discussions, but, if I may ask, what makes you think that what you believe was the spirit, and not the inverse? I actually hadn't thought of the possibility that Psicrystals didn't advance until I came here and saw people arguing about it. It just seemed pretty evident.
    I saw it the exact other way. After all, they are psion familiars, and the greatest disadvantage of familiars is their vulnerability.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    I saw it the exact other way. After all, they are psion familiars, and the greatest disadvantage of familiars is their vulnerability.
    Except they aren't familiars, and if they were... Psions would just get a familiar instead of having this whole new mechanic.
    Last edited by jokey665; 2010-05-24 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Jokey beat me to it. I was being snarky anyway, so it's probably better this way.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2010-05-24 at 05:43 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

19. - Top - End - #19

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mugiwara Luffy View Post
    it´s like when a creature has the outsider type, they don´t have to mention that they get darkvision
    Actually, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    For me, it has been:
    Wizard and Sorcerer familiars say nothing about feats.
    Paladin mounts specifically say they gain feats.
    Druid and Ranger companions specifically say they gain feats.

Psicrystals say nothing about feats, and they share a number of features with familiars. Furthermore, the two examples which gain feats (mounts and companions) have a specific HD advancement on their tables. Psicrystals do not.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

*Checks self* Nope, not a lawyer.

I say otherwise.

And back up your claim that the 'spirit' of the rules means that psicrystals don't get feats. Otherwise, you're not really interested in either the letter or the spirit.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Psicrystal is a similar ability to Familiar, Animal Companion, and Special Mount. Animal Companion and Special Mount specifically mention getting feats. That mentioning is curiously left out of Familiar and Psicrystal. Maybe they don't get feats?
    Further evidence, the psicrystal in the monster section of Psionics Handbook only has one feat, it's bonus feat. It doesn't have any feats for it's HD.
    The psicrystal is meant to be like a familiar. The familiar doesn't get feats, why would you think the psicrystal does? The psicrystal gets HD, so that it can have a higher BAB, not so it can get feats.

EDIT:
    "Like a wizard's familiar, psicrystals are a psion's companion."
    Last edited by Anxe; 2010-05-24 at 05:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Actually, they do.
    Actually they don't:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubty...m#outsiderType

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2010-05-24 at 06:03 PM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Psicrystal is a similar ability to Familiar, Animal Companion, and Special Mount. Animal Companion and Special Mount specifically mention getting feats. That mentioning is curiously left out of Familiar and Psicrystal. Maybe they don't get feats?
    If you're attempting to argue that they don't gain hitdice by the rules, you'd be wrong. If you're attempting to argue that they don't get feats because the text doesn't mention it... what? Does the Ogre entry mention that bigger Ogres should gain more feats for every 3 hit dice? I mean, seriously.

Further evidence, the psicrystal in the monster section of Psionics Handbook only has one feat, it's bonus feat. It doesn't have any feats for it's HD.
    The psicrystal is meant to be like a familiar. The familiar doesn't get feats, why would you think the psicrystal does? The psicrystal gets HD, so that it can have a higher BAB, not so it can get feats.
    WotC has specifically said that when stat blocks contradict the rules, the rules are always right.
    Homebrewer's Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Psicrystals gain HD as their masters advance. They are not treated as having HD equal to their master's level.

Psicrystals are not familiars.

They do not have some sort of 'special hit dice' that only advance some things and not others. The entry says nothing about what their hit dice advance. Ergo, they are normal hit dice in every way.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-05-24 at 05:51 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    I dunno, I never saw them as being anything like familiars. Perhaps it's because of the way it's fluffed. A Familiar is something external, unimportant, more or less a pet with a couple tricks, something designed from its very inception to be a little independent sidenote. The way psicrystals are explained, they always seemed much more than that to me, more part of a character than the familiar. Hence, them having advancement together with their master just seemed far more intuitive.

To this add the fact that quite a few powers and feats in the very same book give the feeling that completely unlike familiars (at that stage. Decent familiar-enhancing spells came later), Psicrystals were very obviously at least supposed and designed to be actually useful to their owners, or at least mildly capable of assisting in some ways, instead of little useless fluff-balls, and the logic knot was made up in my mind. Simple as that .

EDIT: Multi-ninja'd. Teaches me to go get a sandwich in the middle of writing a post.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-05-24 at 05:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    You, er, just linked to your previous post.

Although perhaps I was misunderstood. Every outsider creature entry I can find lists Darkvision as a special quality. Every single one which I can find in the SRD. It seems strange that they would be so redundant in something like darkvision (which is stated elsewhere) and yet leave the psicrystals-gain-feats clause implied yet unspoken due to seperate monster creature rules found in another book.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

They never say in any other monster entry that they gain feats when they increase their HD.

Never.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Alertness *is* the Psicrystal's 1HD feat. The (Ex) Alertness ability grants the feat to its master; it says nothing about the Psicrystal itself, and the feat on the statblock lacks the superscript B that would mark it as a bonus feat. The only place that feat can come from is the crystal's HD.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Curiously, familiar is the worst comparison for the psicrystal because unlike the familiar, the psicrystal gains actual HD, which is more analogues to Companions and Mounts. Maybe the Psicrystal is like them?

The psicrystal listed there isn't 'finished'. Its also a non-advanced Psicrystal, suitable for a 1st level Psion(evidenced by the lack of higher psicrystal abilities, such as a Deliver Touch Power). Interpreting that to mean it doesn't get additional feats for additional HD would also mean it wouldn't get additional abilities, such as the aformentioned Deliver Touch Power.

Where is this statement supported?

Not a primary source. For rules related to Psicrystals, the XPH 'wins' all arguments.

You, er, just linked to your previous post.
    Fixed

It seems strange that they would be so redundant in something like darkvision (which is stated elsewhere) and yet leave the psicrystals-gain-feats clause implied yet unspoken due to seperate monster creature rules found in another book.
    The existence of reminder text does not imply that reminder text is required.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2010-05-24 at 06:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Alertness *is* the Psicrystal's 1HD feat. The (Ex) Alertness ability grants the feat to its master; it says nothing about the Psicrystal itself, and the feat on the statblock lacks the superscript B that would mark it as a bonus feat. The only place that feat can come from is the crystal's HD.
    This is most disturbing... I am wrong! You are correct.

And as for Godskook, you're saying Wizards of the Coast isn't a primary source?