Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

1. Ruto
    2. Toph
    3. Tanith
    4. Aquamarine
    5. Ala
    6. Jewel
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

1. Nuriko
    2. Erika
    3. Aquamarine
    4. Ala
    5. Jasmine
    6. Stephanie

Nuriko and Stephanie have not had nearly enough screentime! And I feel that Jasmine and Stephanie could have a very interesting relationship within the theme of "supply and demand".

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

1: Stephenie
    2. Jasmine
    3. Erika
    4. Dusk
    5. ...the Lapras
    6. Leafe

Edit: OH! And I updated Erika's Sheet and added the effects of some quirks.
    Last edited by Squiggly-Thing; 2011-01-06 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Belkar certainly lacked empathy, but the best ranger alive couldn't control a paladin's mount.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY
    http://youtu.be/fR7EAdPUqvQ

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Erika
    2) Leafe
    3) Ala
    4) Nuriko
    5) Pixie
    6) Jasmine

5. - Top - End - #1055

1: Eda
    2:Chun Li
    3:Pixie
    4:Belle
    5:Jasmine
    6:Helga

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, as it turns out... I have a lot of pokemon (Hey, Deme of the past -- your idea of using Nuzlocke rules to decrease the number of characters? You're an idiot). This is gonna take a while, just to get them up to level 35.

For a moment there, I considered backing out, or making this the last (as opposed to second-to-last, or the third-to-last) of these big training segments. But then I figured "I've managed a consistant, if not occaisonally changing, schedule for about 6 months. That's earned me some update good will. I can afford to spend some of it giving the sort of updates people like." And so that's what I'm doing now.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ettin in the Playground

Mhm, good to see that not all gym leaders are Evil. A nice change of motives.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I feel for ya. I've learned that despite using Nuzlocke rules, that doesn't stop me from catching a single Pokemon in EVERY route I come across. I end up with a lot of extra allies in my PC.

...Except my difference is I don't have epic training segments with the Pokemon I have in reserve. I'm thinking maybe I should get on that.
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyFoxMan View Post
    Yeah, I feel for ya. I've learned that despite using Nuzlocke rules, that doesn't stop me from catching a single Pokemon in EVERY route I come across. I end up with a lot of extra allies in my PC.

...Except my difference is I don't have epic training segments with the Pokemon I have in reserve. I'm thinking maybe I should get on that.
    Don't! You fool! Foolish fool whose foolish mind fools him into embarking on foolish plans dreamed up by a fool! (/Von Karma)
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yeah, I've got a hard mode on my HeartGold right now, I've got 8 or 9 I'm actually using. ( Plus two I used that were useful for a single gym, then stopped being useful. Namely, Nidorina for Whitney and Raticate for Morty)

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Troll in the Playground

Given the length of this, I think I've decided something: Starting tommorow morning, until the training session (or, at least, the up to 35 bit) ends, I'll be doing a daily update with whatever I did that day or the previous day. Otherwise, the chapter'd just be waaaaaay too long... And, also, it makes everything much less overwhelming for me.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-01-07 at 11:09 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

We'll see how my idea of making it less overwhelming by breaking it into parts gets.

Chapter 49: Trainathalon, Day 1
    Spoiler
    Show

"Look at that. Just...look at it."
    "It is not a flattering photo, but it does capture your energy and..."
    "I meant the badges. And the map. Just two left -- we're in the home stretch now."
    "Yeah! Let's keep at it!"

Well, anyway, I guess it's time to start really training everyone. No slacking now.
    "I guess the question is...Who first?"
    "...Hey there, Miss Seed."
    "Angel! There you are! I was getting worried...What happened?"[/color]
    "I... I panicked. I couldn't do anything....I couldn't even tell him 'thank you!' Miss Seed...I'm such a coward."
    "...I'm sorry. Well, you can still hitch a ride with me; I'm bound to see him at the Elite 4!"
    "Y-you think?"
    "I know so! All you need is courage!"
    "Miss Seed...Can you please make me stronger?"
    "?"
    "I want to be a stronger pokemon! So when I see him...I'll be stronger inside, too."
    "Sure thing. I'll add you to today's roster, Angel!"

But first, for some grass-type fun.
    "I actually figured out a way for you guys to get type advantage!"
    "Really?"
    "That's a surprise. What is it?"
    I hold up the super rod.
    "Fishing!"

"There, see?"

This could not be going entirely well...
    Well, a few potions later, and the EXP was worth it...

What on earth. Just...what.

Well, they're easier to fight than that gyrados.

"Hey, Belle... I was wondering... Can you say something that's not a question?"
    "What?"
    "I mean, I don't think I've ever heard you *not* asking a question."
    "Why does that matter?"
    "Doesn't really... It's just something I was wondering about."
    "...How...do you use words in other ways?"
    "What?"
    "How do you use words in other ways? Why don't I know that?"
    "Uhh..."
    "SOME POKEMON DO NOT ADAPT WELL TO YOUR LANGUAGE. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT."
    "Is that why you talked the way you did, before you evolved?"
    "PARTIALLY. MY WORDS REFLECTED MY HEART."
    "I see...So a very curious heart produces nothing but questions?"
    "Is that the way it is?"
    "I guess so."
    "Why are all humans good at words?"
    "Not all humans. Some are worse than the worst pokemon is."
    "Are humans more or less varied than pokemon?"
    "We're about the same... We're varied on the inside. But we just don't show it as obviously, because humans have genetics."

We chat like this as we train, and it's kind of soothing.

"What happens if I evolve?"
    "Hm. I'm not sure. FISTICUFFS changed the way she spoke, but she wanted other things."
    "Would it be alright if I tried?"
    "Sure."
    I take a spare leafstone out of my bag and hand it to her. She stares into it like a crystal ball, trying to see something I couldn't; something beyond the glittering stone, and into a heart of leaves.

"Ooh, this feels funny... Hey! That was a declaratory sentence! With a period and everything!"
    "Excellent!"
    "Now I can learn a lot more about you funny human creatures this way, and tell other pokemon."
    "'funny...'?"
    Eh, well, it's for the best, one assumes...

"Ok, you're next, Leafe."
    "OK. I've had my peptalk today, so I'm ready."
    "Peptalk?" Isn't that my job?
    "Wee-eeelll...." She looks away and hides her face in her flower. "It worked so well, last time, so Helga and I..."
    "Aaah.... Say no more."

"These enemies are really easy! That peptalk must have really worked!"
    "I think it's more that you've gotten stronger. And, of course, the enemies are better suited to you. It's a combination of factors."
    "I suppose... But I like my version better!"
    "If you say so..."

Either way, our training grows very smoothly.
    "I mean, I'm nothing special. I know that. But I put my heart into it; that's what pulls me ahead!"
    Again, dear, if you say so...

"Remember when we first met, and I decided it'd be better to be with you than be bullied?"
    "Yeah?"
    "I'm glad I did that. I don't think anyone would have the guts to bully me now... Maybe I wouldn't even care now."
    "You sure? Those're fighting words."
    "Helga, I'm sure. After all, I've got somewhere safe. I don't think any bully really has that."
    "After-school specials teach us that."

"Well, it's progress, anyway..."

"What was that, Helga?"
    I ask her, as we're cycling down the bridge to the next training spot. With Helga, having available grass-types helps.
    "That girl is just so stubborn about it! What's wrong with saying a nice, humble, self-affirming, 'Because I'm a great person and a strong pokemon and I'm as awesome as Helga at not giving up'?"
    "That's kind of long for private conversation..."
    "Ok, you got me there, Boss Lady, but... Geeze. It's OK to take personal credit, is all."
    "You do it all the time?"
    "Hey, I take credit for the good and the bad. I'm not physically the toughest, but I got guts, so I've got to take credit where I can. It keeps guts up."

"Venonats giving you a bit of trouble, eh?"
    "I'm good."
    "No, seriously. I trust you, so I want you to tell me how you're doing; makes life easier for everyone else."
    "Ok, yeah. A little."
    But she puffed up with pride, knowing I trusted her to tough it out the most.
    "You know, A life-coach, I did not expect you to be."
    "Well, someone has to do something! You're out having adventure, so it's up to me, as the reserve with seniority, to give you a hand!"
    I don't recall having told her that... Well, she's happy, right?

And we've even found good enemies for her to fight.

And she eventually even learned a new technique.
    "Well, let's give this a spin!"

"Hmm, not bad."
    "Yeah! It's been a while, huh?"
    "By the way...I'd been meaning to ask about you and Leafe... You seem to have gotten pretty close."
    "Yeah, I guess you could say that. She's got a lot of fight in her; she just doesn't know how to use it."
    ...Now, do I ask? Do I?
    "And I'm sure you'll teach her everything you know."
    "Darn straight! Besides...When she smiles, rare as it is for her to really smile... She's like a little happy flower, full of nectar."
    I wonder how close the animal-analogues are? I mean, Helga's more wasp than bee, but... Those are fighting words, as Helga'd put it.
    But hey: I bet all words are fighting words to pokemon. It's all down to what you're fighting for.

"No new caves yet, Miss Seed?"
    "None yet, Jewel. Time for a bit more training."
    "Another adventure begins!"

This is going slowly...
    "Ah! A doppleganger! Like the battle against that swarm of impersonaters in the Johtoan Dark Cave!"
    "You just made that up, didn't you?"
    "I am a gentlewoman (adventurer) of many talents and stories, Miss Seed."

...Dragonbreath? Like the breath of a dragon?
    "See, Miss Seed? Many talents."
    I try the move out.

"...Wow. That's pretty cool. So...Where'd that come from?"
    "Well, after battling the dragonite of Mt. McKinely..."
    "Ok, I'm calling foul."
    "Well, I didn't win. I eluded her with my full guile and heroic wit!"
    In hero-speak, I think that's 'I ran away as quickly as possible.'
    "They have several nice caves up there. And the underwater passageways, I learned, are lovely bolt-holes... Oh, I can't wait until you find something lovely -- maybe on an island? They're hard to get to, but the volcanic caves..."
    "Gotcha, gotcha..."

Everyone's learning a lot of moves, really.

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything...

"Well, at least this way you'll have more stories to tell."
    "Yes, but it'll need a finer title. And more caves."
    "yes, yes..."

"Eve, you're next."
    I'm actually kind of doing this randomly.
    "Aaah, excellent! Well, I suppose I'll present myself to this little crowd..."

Wow; Confusion’s a very tough move for her, but she took it well.
    "Don't look so shocked. I'm not just all talk."

Really? You’re not?
    Flash-forward to another fight…

I wonder what'll happen if I...

Eve danced in place, her unseen hands folding and unfolding gracefully, showing their tips from within her clothes. She moved like a boliwood dancer.
    "That was...interesting. You dance, Eve?"
    "I do. Not...umm... In front of other people again yet, b-but..."
    "Again?"
    "I tried once. But those prima donnas said I wasn't good enough.. Hmph! Fools. Still, at least I'm a perfect combatanent!"
    So you decided to out prima-donna them, huh?
    But when she said that, she looked like a sad little girl. I guess we all have our hurts.
    "It was very graceful. I bet the others would like it, when you want to show them."
    [color=purple]"T-thank you. Not that I care about your approval."
    I give her a little pat on the back and roll my eyes.

Of course, not all of these new moves are winners, huh?
    "Still, I think you really should show them your other moves. I bet I could download some MP3s to my PC and it'd let you use them; it's all data, right?"
    "Y-you'd do that?... You're impressed by my cool demeanor, righ --"
    "No."
    She pauses and looks at me.
    "But I think we'd be better off if you were happy."

[color=purple]"Thank you, Mistress..."

Ok, ok, who's next...
    "Have you forgotten about me, Miss Seed? I said 'make me stronger'! If I'm stronger outside, I'll be stronger inside!"
    "...How does that work?"
    "It does, OK? Strength translates to courage.... At least, that's how it was when I was a raticate."
    I think back to Top Percent, who always was at her fiestiest after a training session...
    "Yeah. I can see that."
    "So get to work, Miss Seed!"
    "Ok. We'll be fishing for you, since you can't effect normal-type pokemon, and having a whole bunch of pokemon you can't fight is good."

"Need a bit of work on that move."
    "I'm still learning how to use my gastly powers. I tried to bite it, but it didn't work at all!"
    Yeah, I saw that... the fight started and she made chomping noises around the pokemon. Scared them silly, but effectively did nothing.

"But I'm learning, OK!"
    And learn we do, putting her through her paces. She's not a bad pokemon, but I don't think she's used to a trainer who tells her to have a pattern and adjust it as need be. Beau apparently micro-manages, and is less about all-out offensive.
    "That makes sense from the fights we've had."
    "Master Beau's style is really great."
    "I'm sure it is." No I'm not, but I'm not picking that fight.

I didn't think that Gyrados would bite her like that... But we end up winning by pressing though.
    "That was really dangerous..."
    "Yeah, but I figured you'd pull through. You're a tough cookie, right?"
    "Your style sucks! Sucks, sucks, sucks! How can you keep winning?"

I watch her carry on for a while and say, very quietly,
    "I don't know. It's ok for you to miss him; I kind of miss seeing the big lug every day myself."
    I pat her on the head in sympathy. I actually mean it, which I didn't know until the words were out. There was a time when it was me, him, Daisy, and Sage; we were all the company each other had in the world. And it was a great time. Oh, sure, we still fought... But we had to; we had to be each other's bullies, and each other's friends, and each other's rivals.
    ...Like everything else, it couldn't last.
    "...You know... You're not a bad trainer, though..."
    "?" I snapped out of my revererie.
    "You're letting me come along, for no good reason. I could just be spying on you for him."
    "And? What'd he get out of that?"
    "And you made Azula act like a normal person, and Aqua was always saying what a cold fish she was back at the lab..."
    Aqua must be Beau's squirtle...I guess.
    And she is kind of a cold fish. Just a nicer one.
    "And you try and be nice to me even when I say you suck."
    "I'm not an evil harpy," all the time, " You know."
    "I guess what I'm saying is, if I didn't have Master Beau... I think I'd be happy to be with you."
    "Aw. That's really nice, Angel. I guess I feel flattered."
    Time for the mental victory dance; score one over Beau!
    "Ok, enough sap! Back to work... Mistress Seed."

[color=#330066]"W-what? Hey! That was not a change of heart, ok, stupid mantle! Master Beau is still my first master! Stupid Haunter form..."

Well, even if she can complain, I can't. Thanks, stupid mantle!
    "There, there... I know you still love him most."
    And once she calms down, we test it out.

Ghost. Attacks . Suck.
    Well, other than Shadow Ball.

Well, maybe it only sucked because of the level difference. Maybe if we tried again?

Not great, but acceptable.

And it makes Angel's training go by so much faster!

Well, we'll see if this works at all without a sleeping pokemon. My vote? No. Still, it's not like I was using Spite.

Well, frabjous.
    Still, Shadow Punch suffices. For now.

LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You thought Dream Eater might work on a not Sleeping Pokemon?

Anywho, good chapter. As was the last one. I cant wait to see how Blaine will turn out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    You thought Dream Eater might work on a not Sleeping Pokemon?
    I've never actually used it, considered it, or even thought about it before. I doubted it, but I figure "Pokemon is a funny, counter-intuitive game sometimes. May as well confirm what I know."
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I've never actually used it, considered it, or even thought about it before. I doubted it, but I figure "Pokemon is a funny, counter-intuitive game sometimes. May as well confirm what I know."
    Dream Eater only works if the enemy pokemon is sleeping. Since Gastly/Haunter can learn Hypnosis and Nightmare (at a much later time), so it can be a combination worth considering.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yes, it is a nice combo... in Ruby or emerald ( I don't remember which one) I had a Gengar with curse, hypnosis, dream eater and nightmare... quite fun, first open with hypnosis then a little curse, restore HP with dream eater and finish with nightmare.

Also I forgot to tell you at the end of last chapter, but I really liked that you made Sabrina a likeable character, she is portrayed as a bitch in all other media (specially in Pokémon special).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Orc in the Playground

Personally, I would have kept Screech on Eve. Arbok doesn't have the best moveset (especially taking Stockpile into consideration :I) and Screech can be really useful alongside good STAB moves like Sludge Bomb. Plus, considering further that Poison is a physical type in this game...

But then again, that's just my opinion. Take it as you will. ;3

On a related note: Yay, Haunter! I love the wicked grin on its face.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Titan in the Playground

"That was not a change of heart, stupid Mantle"

Loved that line
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Dream Eater only works if the enemy pokemon is sleeping. Since Gastly/Haunter can learn Hypnosis and Nightmare (at a much later time), so it can be a combination worth considering.
    Yeah, I'm kinda hoping that Angel still knows Hypnosis.

..I kinda doubt it, though.
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2011-01-08 at 09:35 PM.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty sure she never knew it; At least, not when I owned her. But I'll need to check her profile picture for that...

Edit: Nope. Apparently not.

Edit 2: Today's training is done, and'll be up in the morning. I've got 9 pokemon left to do, and then the 6 to level 40. Unfortunately, school is looming up -- I start Tuesday -- and I'll be on the road for most of tommorow, so we'll see.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-01-08 at 10:00 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm pretty sure she never knew it; At least, not when I owned her. But I'll need to check her profile picture for that...

Edit: Nope. Apparently not.
    That's what I figured, Hypnosis is one of the first things a Gastly learns, and having been wild, it would have just forgotten it in favor of something else.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Orc in the Playground

You might be able to re-learn it if you get a hold of some mushrooms.

Wait, are you doing the whole "Sevii Island" subplot? :3

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Troll in the Playground

You might be able to re-learn it if you get a hold of some mushrooms.

Wait, are you doing the whole "Sevii Island" subplot? :3
    Seed becoming "Champion of this world and the next" means that she has to beat the elite 4... But also that she has to beat every available legendary pokemon. I'm pretty sure that subplot is required for getting to Mewtwo, yes?
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-01-09 at 08:59 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Troll in the Playground

Trainathalon, Day 2
    Spoiler
    Show

It's the start of yet another day of training.

Now, I admit; I'm less than excited about this next bit...
    "Training me, honeypie? How cute. But the only training I need is to work my walk!"
    Ugh... how to reason with someone so...
    "Style like mine, you can't train; I have a natural talent found in a select few..."
    So Nuriko. Look at him. He's doing the finger-waggle at me and everything!
    "Listen, wouldn't you like to try on the clothes of a lot of different pokemon?"
    "Well, I suppose... But I'd like a little company while I work."
    Hmm, who'd be a good fit...
    Well, if 'good' means 'funny,' we could always do Spike... Naah...
    "I know just the person. Hold on just a second."
    I come back with Pixie.
    "Hey there! I thought I'd see this famous 'cosplayer'... You're not as good-looking as I'd hoped."
    "Not as -- I'll show you!"

"See? As a point of comparison... And my attacks are prettier, as well."

"I've seen more beautiful. Beauty is the most important thing in the world -- its name can't be taken lightly."
    "Taken lightly? Beauty is my god! Beauty is me, to my core. It should be appreciated at and marveled at -- especially when I'm involved! Come, little girl..." Nuriko brings himself to his comfort zone by running a hand across Pixie's cheek.
    "Why don't you sit tight and see an art exhibit -- the marvelous art of my cosplay!"

This may be the most brillaint training plan I have ever had.

...And yet, oddly purposeless.
    "A simple setback, Sweetie."

"Much better!"
    "Omugod! That little bob looks sooo cute on you! And it rises into that little grass hair piece -- how lovely!"
    "I know; it's one of my better jobs! The color still needs some work, but..."
    "It's perfect; the little fault that makes the masterpiece so lovely!"
    Nuriko throws his arms around her in a bright hug.
    "What should I do next, darling?"
    "Oh, oh! A pidgey!"

"There; it's quite lovely. As are you, of course."
    "It's my heart's labor..."
    They try on different forms for Nuriko for hours and hours, until...

"Ok, Nuriko; your training is over."
    "But we didn't even start..."
    "Well, you've gotten stronger, so there we go."

"Well, Evangeline, you're next."
    "Come on, Charlegmaine! We have training to do!"
    Tri-Attack? What sort of move is that?

The. Heck.
    Wow!
    "What sort of move was *that*?"
    "That was what the three of us can do together; they're my friends, so of course we're better together like that."
    "Wait...Three of you? And you used 2 names at first... But you've got only one hair bun today."
    I could have sworn she had more than one before... Was I mistaken?
    "Well... F-Francoise said that... Because maybe I had friends here... I didn't need him anymore."
    "I'm sorry to hear that." Gosh. She's almost crying. I give her a little hug.
    "I-I'm Ok. R-Really. I mean... You'll be my friend, right?"
    "Of course." I mean, yes, that's kind of crazy, but... I can't blame her.
    We train for a while.

"There, see? You're doing great. You'll be fine."
    "Charlegmaine's saying the same thing...C-Charlegmaine? W-what do you mean, you're leaving? Charlegmaine..."

... She's going to be OK, and parts of her realize it... But not all of her.

Well, I'm just going to have to convince her.
    "Charlegmaine's gone..."
    "No, no he's not. Neither is Francoise."
    I point to her gloves.
    "They left you presents, to remember them by. And they made sure you were safe."
    She looks at the gloves, a little skeptically.
    "Really. Try your tri-attack. They're still in your heart, so the love of that move works just as well."

There, see? She'll be alright.
    "That really did work... OK, puppet-Charlegmaine, OK, Puppet-Francoise! Why don't we try and make friends with her pokemon?"
    She bob both hands up and down.
    I shake my head a little.
    "I'll stop eventually... But right now... Do you think I should buy another puppet! And I'll call her Mary-Ann!"

"Well, Perci, you're next."
    "Wooh-hoo!...Now, what's that I hear about you getting another Raticate?"
    "She's not another raticate. She's a Haunter that used to be Beau's raticate."
    "Well, as long as she knows I'm the top percent!"
    "Well, then it's time for you to show it off!"

Two hits. Not bad at all. Not amazing, but…
    ...But I've had a lot of drama today, so why don't I keep that a little secret.
    I swear, it's like having kids...

"It's ok, Boss. I'm not so over-emotional...Since I'm named Top Percent now, all my silly complaining is fulfilled!"
    "So, in other words, you'd be drama-ing it up if I had forgotten to rename you?"
    "Yes! Because you'd have broken your promise!"
    "...Glad to know that."
    Sort of.
    ...Well, I got it right, anyway. Eventually.

"Being in the top percent is something you have to pursue."
    "What does that mean, really?"
    "Every pokemon wants to be the best. Or they should. Our time here's temporary... So we gotta get ready!"
    "Yes, but what does 'being in the top percent' mean?"
    "Someone told me that; someone special. I don't even know who for myself -- I just heard it whispered when I was born."
    "Maybe your mother?"
    "I dunno; I don't have one, after all. But I believe that person... And, more important, I believe that being anything less than the best you can be is just wrong!"
    "Well, I'm glad to help."

"I-I'm next?"
    "That's right."

"Ok, then."

Toph battles in silence for a while. Then she asks,
    "You know, I really l-like fighting. Is that OK?"
    "Almost every pokemon likes fighting. Why wouldn't it be OK?"
    "Well, because I always thought of myself as being...you know."
    "Mousy? Unassuming?"
    "W-well, yeah. I mean... I-I can't be both, right?"
    "What on earth gave you that idea?"
    "W-well... Everyone I've met is one or the other, right? And everyong expects me to be just one, and..."
    "Screw them, then!"
    "W-well, Nuriko would like that..."
    "I don't mean literally! I meant don't listen to them! We're so nuts, our whole team is served regularly for airplane snacks!... My point is, you can be whatever you think your heart is."
    "...How will I know?"
    Why don't you have a nice dig and mull it over?
    She burrows off, and I start to see her burrowing up a few minutes later. It really didn't take very long.
    She begins to pop up, and...

"So you made up your mind?"
    "T-that's right..."
    She's stuttering; I guess she's still shy, even in a new body.
    "I want to kick butt and take names! Please. Ma'am."
    "Sure."

Toph's new form is a much stronger fighter, which makes sense in light of her decision.

She couldn't handle magnitude of that magnitude!

And once we start going, she really seems to enjoy herself. Now, if she starts calling her hair buns by name, we will have trouble, but there's not much to fear for the moment...

And she does seem happy.
    "Hey, Mistress, can we get some sun glasses for my hair buns? Their eyes are a little sensitive..."
    Gaah...

"Tanith, you're next."
    "Excellent! Once again time to chase down magnificence!"
    "Good enough to beat Phoebe, right?"
    "I never said anything of the sort!"
    ...OK, ok, fine...

As always she throws herself at her enemies. But since they're usually grass or bug types here, that works out.
    Except for the rate at which I burn through full heals, anyway.

"So what do you have against Phoebe, anyway?"
    "...I... No, no, it's good to admit these things. Right! Well, Ma'am, I just don't like that she's your first flying type for so long, and I wasn't."
    That is a terrible reason.
    "I mean, think about her... So bland. So very nondescript. That's the sort of nondescriptness that hides a deep smugness!"
    "...What? Phoebe is far, far, far from smug."
    "That's what she wants you to think! Her and her neutralness..."
    "C-can we get back to training?"
    [color#663300]"Of course, Mistress!"[/color]
    Wooh. Seriously, though, who hates a person for seering neutrality?

"Well, anyway, shouldn't you blame FISTICUFFS more? She's the first pokemon I caught when I could have caught a spearow."
    "...Sweet Spirit of Creation, you're right! I should be eking out my vengence on her!"
    "What vengence?"
    But she's already speeding off. Oh dear.

For Ruto, a change of venue is in order. And for that...
    "Ready to take me flying, Phoebe?"
    "Really?"
    "Totally! Fly me to the moon!"
    "Mistress, I think you're seriously overestimating my skills."
    "I meant Vermillion."
    I am not in the mood to explain Frank Sinatra.
    "Those two don't sound anything alike."
    "I know, I know..."
    "Well, ok..."

We land in Vermillion.
    "So, where are we going for this training? Can you tell me what I'm being conditioned to do, or is this blind?"
    "Listen, do you know what weight-lifting training is?"
    "Weight...lifting?"
    "Oh, right. Scientists. Well, the idea is that in order to get better at lifting weights, you have to lift little weights and then bigger weights and then bigger weights and so on."
    "I see...And you intend for me to lift weighted gear? I'm more of an experiment than a lackey."
    "No, no... I know. Why don't I show you."

I went with Diglett's cave because they're all weak to her water, and the levels are comparable to fishing.
    "Now, you use Body Slam on the Diglett."
    "Won't that hurt?"
    "It's ok. She picked this fight. We're just practicing to defend ourselves."
    "Ok..."

"And now do I get a treat?"
    "This isn't operant..."
    She looks at me with big blue eyes.
    "Ok, yes, treat."
    "Yaaay!"
    I give her a bit of cookie from my bag, which she scarfs down happily.
    Now that I've explained the concept, she learns well against the Digletts. The big guns aren't out and about today, though...
    "So this is why the scientists wanted to study me..."
    ?
    "Both because, as a pokemon born in this world and in their labs, I am relatively free of pre-existing understandings and am as close to a tabula rasa as could be achieved... But also because of these powers... I guess I always knew that I just never realized they were thinking about battle."
    She looks a little downcast.
    "If you'd like, I can let you go."
    "No... I'd like to understand more about these battles."
    She still is pouting a bit, but goes back to training.
    "So, when will you know if you 'training' experiment is a success?"
    It's ok, it's ok, we're making progress...
    "Not for a while."
    "I'll do my best! I've never been asked to be a part of an experiment before, so I guess you can say this is an experiment for me, too. I hypothesise I'll do my best!"
    Isn't that a self-fulfilling hypothesis...?

Just too darn dangerous...What if she tried to test it out? Those scientists need to learn to take better care of their pokemon.
    "Well, that means we can safely go back to Fucshia, now."
    "Ok! Let's head on out, then."

We fly back.
    "Why the sudden change in locale?"
    "You can fight here more effectively, since you have a strong move to cover up for your vulnerability. It'll be faster."
    "Is your control group doing this, too? I can't wait to compare results!"
    What sort of control would there be 'get stronger?'

"Oh, how neat!"
    "Yeah, see?"

And the rest goes by without even a little problem... Smooth as butter.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-01-09 at 02:31 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Bugbear in the Playground

Great chapter- just one problem.
    You have a coloring error between the end of Toph's training and the end of Tanith's training.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What makes a good Pokémon go neutral? Is it greed? Lust for power? Or was it just born with a heart full of neutrality?

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ok, as it turns out... I have a lot of pokemon (Hey, Deme of the past -- your idea of using Nuzlocke rules to decrease the number of characters? You're an idiot). This is gonna take a while, just to get them up to level 35.
    Oh no she isn't, you're just very cautious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Screw them, then!"
    "W-well, Nuriko would like that..."
    ...*snicker*

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter delayed. One of my keys is busted, so editing would be hellishly hard.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

30. - Top - End - #1080

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    What makes a good Pokémon go neutral? Is it greed? Lust for power? Or was it just born with a heart full of neutrality?
    Curses, you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    ...*snicker*
    Heheh, I did at that part too.