Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    You should get a Pikachu, name it Chuchu in honor of Yellow's Pikachu, add it to your team and then put Helga in reserves because having a Butterfree and Beedrill in your party is rather redundant.
    As much as I dislike Pikachu, your mention of Yellow just makes me so happy that I have to support this.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

You dislike Pikachu? One of the best tanks I ever trained was a Raichu. Yeah, I'm still not quite sure how that happened.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Fun Fact: I totally lost my pictures for the first half of this chapter. Most of them were easy to re-make, but catching ChuChu and her level 3 introduction shot are gone forever now. But it also meant I effectively paid 100 pokedollars to go get those screenshots in that gosh-darned museum.

Chapter 9: The First Gym Battle
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, as nice as it would be to ditch the forest, we still had to catch a pokemon there.

She was a pretty hard catch, taking all of my pokeballs before I caught her, but eventually I did. I named her ChuChu, since she got sent to the box before I could ask her.
    ...yeah, the box. I guess it's time to start worrying about that, isn't it?
    "OK, guys, time to talk about...composition. When we catch more pokemon, they're going to end up taking space in the box, to be ready when we need them...And other are going to be on the team."
    Team:
    "So we need to talk. I think ChuChu will be a great member of our team. We need someone to take out water types, and a greater type diversity overall."
    "I didn't take the mistress for the tactical type."
    "It's basic sense. So...There's the question of who goes into the reserves."
    "I'll do it. For the team."
    "Helga, I...."
    "I don't mind. It's not that different from being in a pokeball."
    "You sure?"
    "Yeah. Two bugtypes makes us more vulnerable, right? So...I gotta step out. That's just how it is. But you're only getting the easy way out once, OK, Boss Lady?"
    "Alright. Thanks, Helga. We'll call you if we need you."

"OK, ChuChu, welcome to the team!"
    "Wow. I've never been on a team before! OK, I'll do my best to work well with all of you."
    "And me, too."
    "You understand me? Delightful!"
    "Yup. Let's keep the recap short and get to training you up a bit."

It wasn't a long training session, and it got FISTICUFFS a bit stronger, too. After that we were ready to explore Pewter City.

Yeah, they're pretty weak -- they don't even evolve their own medapods -- they only know harden! Who actually catches a wild medapod!

"I'd hope not; he does it for a living."

"Hopefully nothing illicit or creepy?"

"Oh. Do pokemon usually lurk in tall flowers?"
    Gardener: "Well, no...But that's because my repel initiative is working!"
    "I... hope so?"

That's...not what they mean by pokemon training.

"Where did you hear this rumor, exactly? Because, really, most people who claim that pokemon are actually something supernatural, like space aliens are...umm..."
    "What'samatter? You just stopped talking to the nice lady."

"...Um. Yeah. The truth is..you know. Out there...I guess."

"I'm not a child! I'm 16. Ish. I need a student's ticket!"
    Museum Receptionist: "OK, 300."
    "...You know, I was lying about my age. Here's 50."

It is here that I begin to suspect that this was not worth my pocket change, and that Pewter City is just kind of boring.

"So you agree with me, then."
    Well, there's only one good thing in this town, and it's time to go do it.

Gym time. Showtime.

...You know, I think someone took the idea of a "gym theme" and went a little over the top. What's their decorating cost?

"That's the idea... far as I know."

So we have a guy, no clear proffession, hanging around at the front of gyms and telling me he can help me win, huh?
    "What's your catch?"

"Your catch, please."

What do I have to do, shake him until he tells me what he wants?

That Guy: "By changing the order of Pokemon, you may gain an advantage. Try different orders to suit your opponent's party."
    "Whatever you want, I am SOOO not paying you for that."

"Uh, no I'm not. I'm maybe a couple of fe --"

Well, in a few minutes you'll realize how dumb you're being. Guess I have to beat you first, though.

Oh, sonuva!

Much better.

Isn't this a rock-themed gym? Doesn't that make using a pure ground-type kinda cheap...?

Yeah, see? Toldja.

...Is that why you hang around his gym and act as his flunky? Because you're hoping one day he'll look the 'ten thousand light-years' that seperates the two of you and realize that what he's always wanted is right there, waiting for him? That you'll be the short-shorted Robin to his surly Batman? Then he'll take off your little cap and run his strong, rock-hardened hands through your hair and...
    "INAPROPRIATE!"
    Oops, got a little slashfick-y there, didn't I?

"Seed. Nice to meet you."

"Can we stop talking about how rock-hard everything about you is?"

"That's much better phrasing, right there."

"Holy Haberdashers, Brock-man! You're right, I should just go home...Not. I'm going to fight, and win."

His opener was geodude -- tougher than anything I'd faced before, but Fisticuffs focused her strength and took it out before it could do more than curl up in a defensive little ball.

His real power was the onix, though. For a moment, I was spooked -- she was so much bigger than FISTICUFFS. But it's rock tomb attack -- probably its best move -- was just worthless against FISTICUFFS, and its tackle wasn't much better. I knew we could do this.
    "Finish her, FISTICUFFS!"
    "GLADLY."

"VICTORY!"
    "You did it, FISTICUFFS! Good job!"

"Are you really going to ruin FISTICUFF's and my moment with a rock pun? Really?"
    Brock:"Yeah, sorry...It's a bad habit. Anyway..."

"Wait, really? How much of a bonus is it?"
    Brock: "It's...Mainly a morale thing."
    "Oh."

"...Well, the badge is pretty, anyway."

Brock: " A TM, technical machine, contains a technique for pokemon. Using a TM teaches the move it contains to a pokemon. A TM is good for only one use. So, when you use one, pick the pokemon carefully. Anyways... TM39 contains ROCK TOMB."
    "oh, yeah. Your onix tried, desperately but uselessly, to use it to hurt FISTICUFFS."
    Brock: "It hurls boulders at the foe and lowers its speed!"

Brock: "And your mankey's not bad, either. GOOD LUCK."
    "Wait, what was that?"
    Brock: "I -- I was just wishing you both luck...Umm..."

"OK, then..."

"Good job, Mistress. Your guidance has earned our team the crest of stone."
    "Yeah, I guess it did! Good job, FISTICUFFS. Let's hope Misty will be just as easy, huh?"
    And so we continued our journey.

Gym 1 -- complete! Losses -- 0.

"We maybe have a shot at this, don't we?"
    "We can hope. Someone who's up to the real challenge doesn't come along every day..."
    "Just because she can see our true forms doesn't mean she's really up to it, does it? We have to help her, not just to fight, but to stay strong, too."
    "Hey, hey, we can do that! We're a great team -- we can do anything! Straight to the top!"
    "YES!
    "It will be done. This may be our only chance, ladies... Failing our task is absolutely not an option."

I'll be putting up a cast list on the first post.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-06-19 at 11:52 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Great update, might want to adjust ChuChu's text color though, it's almost impossible to make out without highlighting it.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it's a tricky one -- I adjusted it about three or four times already. I'll fiddle around, see if I can't find a better one.

edit: There. How's that one?
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-06-19 at 11:52 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Yeah, it's a tricky one -- I adjusted it about three or four times already. I'll fiddle around, see if I can't find a better one.

edit: There. How's that one?
    Much better. I know it's tough. Man, when are they going to make an LP subforum already?
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hasn't been a problem so far, but... You're doing a "if it faints it's dead" game, aren't you? I can't remember.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Not "dead" exactly, but certainly unusable for the remainder of the game. Azula's immune until such point as she isn't, and there may be a few other places where I drop the rule -- I'd need to get a sense from the story as to where exactly those places are, though. The rules are less there for difficulty, and more there for story purposes. Otherwise I would catch maybe 10 or 12 pokemon and just use those constantly, like I do in all other pokemon playthroughs I do.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-06-20 at 12:07 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ah. I'm playing a Nuzlocke of Crystal, and am at the final grind before the Elite Four, with only one casualty. I kept my Feraligatr immune.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 10: Trainers say the Darndest Things
    Spoiler
    Show

Now it's time to leave Pewter City, aka, the city that is dull and grey.
    But first, shopping. I pick up a little of everying, just to be safe. I also teach Rock Tomb to FISTICUFFS, in case she needs to get fliers off her back. It's not a great move, based on what I've seen -- I guess I just didn't want it to sit in my pack all day, wasting its time, and I didn't want to sell it. Also, anything's better than leer in my book.

Don't ask me how it works -- I just sort of held up the disk and hope FISTICUFFS would know what to do with it, which she did. One point in the favor of my current course of action is that everything was crazy before I got here.

"Oh, hey, you're one of Professor Oak's aides, right? You started working last month --"

Oh, here we go again... Why do people assume I have to be told absolutely everything? That I don't remember a guy I last saw less than a week ago? It's like they can't help but assume I'm stupid.
    Oak's Aide: "I've been asked to deliver this, so here you go. I could be doing important research with my PHD, but no -- I'm making deliveries to teenage girls."
    "...I feel your pain, man. I feel your pain."
    I looked in the package. Running Shoes, huh? I guess I could use them. I kinda prefer the shoes I have on, they're comfier and all, but you know...Nice.

Oak's Aide: "We'll probably meet up again. 'work for Oak,' my mother said...'it will be a grand opportunity FOR SCIENCE!' my mother said...Sciene means giving teenagers new shoes, huh?"
    He walked off, grumbling about his lot in life.

"I thought you might need these -- such an impulsive girl, and I saw a nice ad reccomending this brand."
    Mom, you can't keep buying everything you see in an ad or infomercial...
    "'You can run, but you can't get anywhere -- not without Doduo Runners! It was very entertaining."
    Mom, I've seen that. You don't have to tell me about commercials that I've seen you watching!

Yeah, is that...wrong? Is eye contact the key cause of plague these days or something?

Well, anyway, time for ChuChu to strut her stuff! And what is her stuff?

That's right, universe!

Second verse, same as the first, I suppose.

I WAS NOT STARING! I WAS LOOKING CASUALLY AHEAD, YOU CRAZY BROAD!

Yeah, I might have seen him. Hard to tell -- all the bug-catchers sort of run together to me. One guy with a net, two guys with nets, it's all the same.

yeah, like I said: these guys faint like any others.

The next guy...The next guy was so creepy there aren't even words. "What sort of opening line is talking about your pants?"

Youngster Ben: "That's why the majesty of shorts must be spread!"

Youngster Ben :"The Shorts have forsaken me..."
    "No. If that happened, I would be clawing my eyes out."

Next up was another bug catcher.

Oh, another one-shot!

Ok, this is just sad. Really, really sad. I'm going to need to round these guys up and teach them a few things about raising a good team...This is actually getting depressing.

oK, sad's gone. The happy's back.

OK, happy's gone. Angry's in! "No! No! The problem isn't the pokemon! It's you! You're over-specialized to a relatively weak type! Diversify!"
    Bug Catcher: "So...if I had new pokemon, I would have won? Like I just said?"

"Oh, yeah? You're not wearing a mini-skirt! What's wrong with you?"
    Youngster: "I'm enlightened through the short-legged path. Join us!"

"Seriously, though. Why so obsessive?"

Youngster: "That should be everyone's policy. Everyone's. The world shall know the glory of shorts."
    OK, it's time to put the running shoes to use.

"Listen, no matter what you've heard from local bathroom stalls, I don't swing that way, OK?"
    But what she really means is that she wants to fight me.

Or, rather, she wants my team to pummel her team into a pulp.

"You challenged me!"

Lemeeguess, more bugs?

Yup. More bugs *sigh*
    "Listen, try expanding your team. It's fun to catch pokemon of different types. Maybe try a nice geodude, to handle fliers and fires...And let your freaking metapods evolve!"
    Bug Catcher: "...I'll think about it."
    Progress!

"Why is everyone accusing me of molesting other girls? Why?

"And then fighting me? Why is everyone accusing me and then fighting me?"

I see that this Jigglypuff and I will not be getting along. It's a slower fight than usual, but it ends the same.

"Well, you should have brought more Pokemon. And not accused me of molesting you. That's...Not something you joke about, OK?"
    Lass: "B-but I wanted a reason to battle you..."
    "Then just say 'hey, want to fight?' like that polite bug catcher up there!"
    Lass: "Ok..."

There's some tall grass in the area, so I figured I would see what sort of Pokemon are around. In addition to Pidgeys, Makeys, and Spearows, there are
    , , and...

Wait, Nidoran(male), as in...a male pokemon? I haven't seen one in...forever!
    "Are you actually a guy?"
    Nidoran(male): "Uhh...yeah. Is that Ok?"
    "Yeah, yeah. That's totally awesome!"
    Nidoran(male): "Uh, listen...Could I just...you know, fight your pokemon or something?"
    "Oh, sure, yeah. Wow, I mean, Wow. I was starting to think that they just didn't exist anymore!"

Nidoran(male): "Maybe if I just play dead, this creepy human chick will go away..."

Anyway, after that total making a fool of myself, I went to go rest up at the Pokemon center that had been erected at the base of Mt. Moon. The resident guy reading the newspaper said it was all more Team Rocket stuff -- I've never gotten what their deal was. Pokemon for crime? Gee, every petty burglar uses that, but they don't get to be called a fancy name.
    And in the corner was...this man. He leaned forward and whispered in my ear...

"Hell no, I'm not helping you make an 'art film,' or anything like that. My name is not 'sweetie pie,' and if I hear about you calling a teenage girl you don't know that ever again I will end you. got it?"
    Salesman: "I didn't mean it like that, miss! I'm not some pervert, really. Just a wandering salesman!"

"Magikarp, huh? You're seriously trying to sell those?"

...Hm. If I started training a magikarp now, it could turn out to be useful. To someone else, this'd be a scam, but I'm a real pokemon trainer now...What should I do?

(oh, and and happened, so that's pretty cool.)

OK, so a couple of votes:
    First, what pokemon on this route should I catch, should it go on my team, and if so, who should it replace?
    Second, should I go for the magikarp, with all of the above secondary questions applying. (I do, by the way, have some good ideas as to how to train it with relative speed, at least for the first 15 levels. Jirachi gives a pretty big chunk of exp even after it's been divided in 2)
    Nicknames ideas are always good.
    Also, if anyone has suggestions over what moves to learn/what TMs to use on who as time goes by, please tell me. I've only recently started actually thinking about my pokemons' movesets as important, so I'm kind of a novice at it.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm, get a jigglypuff for adorableness and a male nidoran for gender diversity.

(No idea about names and movesets or even what types they are.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

One Pokemon per area, but I'll count both votes seperately anyway. This Magikarp only avoids that because you buy it, not catch it, which makes it a "gift" pokemon in my book.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Right, then get that, keeping it in the "incubator" (offscreen) until it evolves into something gooood.

(That plus the male nidoran. Should make for some nice party interaction.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Get a male Nidoran (name him Spike), and buy the Magicarp (Mr. Tuna?)
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Get a male Nidoran, perhaps making it that you find that one male nidoran you defeated before. Casting him as the nidoran who wants revenge against female oppression...

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Get a male Nidoran, perhaps making it that you find that one male nidoran you defeated before. Casting him as the nidoran who wants revenge against female oppression...
    This. And Magikarp, named Badass.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Or a cross-playing girl who likes to troll people looking for male Pokémon.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground

See, at least Touhoumon is decent enough to have a total of THREE male characters for you to choose from! (Unzan doesn't count.)
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, if we're assuming that all-male species will still always be male in this game (an assumption we can make tenuously, at best -- my test file got deleted before I got to the second), we can assume 3 more pokemon that will be male: Tauros, Hitmonlee, and Hitmonchan...
    Yeah. Not great numbers. None of you, though, have tried to answer the secondary questions: put these guys on my team (the Magikarp will require training, of course), and if so, who should they replace? It's a tough choice, actually. If no one says anything, I'll just put them both in the boxes, which is sad since the Nidoran's leading in votes for potential characterization (which I agree with. He is like a goldmine).
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-06-23 at 07:11 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I vote for Nidoran to replace TopPercen, at least until Magikarp evolves. Then, you *could* swap them. At least, Magikarp should be evolved and kept as the HM slave, even if it never sees actual use.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lilly, though useful, isn't anywhere near as powerful as Nidoking or Gyarados. Even Nidorino is stronger.

Of course, if you want to replace her with another Psychic user, you'll have to wait until you get past Nugget Bridge so you can grab an Abra.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I think there'll be an extra "bonus" chapter up ahead for training the Magikarp, so voting on party composition can continue until after that. What I suspect is the best early grinding spot in my game is on one of the "magic islands."
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Lilly, though useful, isn't anywhere near as powerful as Nidoking or Gyarados. Even Nidorino is stronger.

Of course, if you want to replace her with another Psychic user, you'll have to wait until you get past Nugget Bridge so you can grab an Abra.
    While this is true, she has special attack, while the other two are physical. Stat-wise, anyway.

As for Abra, would you be able to evolve it to Alakazam?

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    As for Abra, would you be able to evolve it to Alakazam?
    Even if she can't, Abra has more Special Attack than Butterfree. It has more Special Attack than either of the fully evolved Kanto Starters not called Charizard. In FR/LG, Kadabra's SpAtk is nearly unmatched... Gengar, Mewtwo, and Alakazam are the few available that have higher SpAtk.

Furthermore, Nidoking has higher Special Attack than Butterfree, as well as a far superior movepool. It's a rather versatile Pokémon.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-06-24 at 10:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Even if she can't, Abra has more Special Attack than Butterfree. It has more Special Attack than either of the fully evolved Kanto Starters not called Charizard. In FR/LG, Kadabra's SpAtk is nearly unmatched... Gengar, Mewtwo, and Alakazam are the few available that have higher SpAtk.

Furthermore, Nidoking has higher Special Attack than Butterfree, as well as a far superior movepool. It's a rather versatile Pokémon.
    Okay, admittedly, I didn't look at stats. Go for Kadabra! ...I just know that my Graveler in my current Crystal Nuzlocke is near worthless.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 10+ : While the Mistress is away, the Pokemon will play (with guest narrator Azula)
    Spoiler
    Show

The Mistress bought the Magikarp. I wondered -- were we sincerly meant to bear that dead weight, that useless load of a pokemon? It's not right. It's not fair. That she will be carried on our backs... No, no weakness.

"OK, let's take her with us. Could you sit out for a while, Perci?"
    "Y-you're not getting rid of me, are you? You made me a promise!"
    "Perci, I'm not deciding these things yet. Let's get everyone strong, and then we'll talk about it, Ok?"
    "You expect..." I pause and search for the name of our expensive companion.

"Rya, I think. Like Ryu, but feminine."
    "Rya, huh? It's, well, a very pretty name I suppose. Thank you for purchasing me, new trainer!"
    "You're welcome, Rya."
    "Oh, you have the gift?"Her face lit into a great smile.
    "As I was saying, Mistress, you expect Rya to be a part of the team? She can't even defend herself! She can't fight!"

"I-I can try! I can do it, really, Mistress!"
    Puppy eyes. I had a suspicion that the Mistress was, for all her bluster, very weak to such tactics.
    "Well, let's train you up with someone else for a while first, OK?
    Azula, can I speak to you for a moment?"
    "Gladly, Mistress."
    "Don't disrespect her. I know she's weak now, but she's an investment for this team. Which means she's a part of this team, and you do not disrespect team members."
    That is true, but I... It wouldn't be fair. I spent years in the dark of a pokeball, because I was too weak to serve my Master. Why should I have to endure, when she is pampered?" I looked away, for once unable to meet my Mistress's gaze.
    "Azula, listen. I know strength matters a lot to you. So you have to help her become strong. She's...She's your little sister now, and you have to take care of her." The Mistress's face goes somewhere far away -- a memory of a tall man flickers behind her eyes. A tall man, a hint of a little hand... Then she turns away from it. "You have to protect her."
    "I think I understand, Mistress. She is not worthy of your team...I will make her worthy." And the Mistress smiles.

"OK, before we start, I have one thing to do in the grass beforehand."
    She walks out into the tall grass, searching for a pokemon to catch. And all the while, as pokemon she does not wish to join us come to fight us, she leads with Rya, who raises her fists as if she truly believes she is going to try and fight them -- and then is exchanged for Lila or ChuChu or someone like that. She looks dissapointed. But she begins to grow stronger, all the same.
    And then we met the Nidoran(male) again.

"You guys again?"
    "Oh, you're the guy from earlier, huh? Want to join the team?"
    "This is a gender diversity thing, isn't it? Some sort of equal-opportunity quota buisness?"
    "uhh...No?"
    "I can't blame you. Much. Very few of us have specifically male forms; It's a precious part of the system... Yeah, alright. but only if YOU STOP WITH THE GUSHIN! I can't respect a trainer who's going to gush over me like a toy."

For the time being, we took Spike with us to grow stronger, and left Lila in reserves. Then our Mistress retired to sleep in the Pokecenter...but the rest of us... I gathered us all up; and while ChuChu and Phoebe piled themselves on top of Spike, who rolled his eyes, I spoke to Rya.
    "Little Rya, would you like to very much impress our Mistress?"

"Oh, yes! I can do whatever you need me to do, really."
    "Well, I reccomend we all go train on our own tonight, to help Rya and Spike catch up. I reccomend... The Islands of Magic."
    "Magic Islands? That sounds...kind of cheesy."
    "VERY."
    "Hey...I gotta ask. Why aren't you swooning like these girls here?"
    Phoebe and ChuChu giggled and hugged him more.
    "UNINTERESTED."
    "Aaah. You and I are going to get along, I think."
    "Focus. If we leave now, we can perhaps be done before dawn."
    They nodded, and we went, all the way back, taking our journey thusfar in reverse.

Until we reached the entrance to Navel Rock.[/color]
    "Oh, yeah. That's actually...yeah. Pretty magic, there."
    We entered. the Celebii roamed there, filling the air with the sound of rustling leaves and the peals of bells.

"Oh great spirits of time, please offer us assistance. We have among our ranks newcomers in need of strength. I entreat you to let us test ourselves against your might." I looked around me and gathered things of ritual -- a leaf with 7 veins, a scrap of Spike's hair, a scale off of Rya's raiment -- and each one, I burned from my own flame.
    "I entreat you with the forest, set into my essense. I entreat you with their lives, set in my essence. I entreat you with my role as Charmander, in this flame. I entreat you with a song from the stones and a fist from the sea. I entreat you with a fear of the dark and with my own true name. I would burn these all for you, and let their smoke drift through your forests."
    The Celebii laughed, and waved us onward.
    Phoebe began helping Rya battle them as they arose, while Spike, for now, handled the remainder. I held back; this was merely the start.

We grew a little stronger there, but it wasn't enough. No, it was time to switch to stronger opponents.

"We need to go to the other island."

"Fine by me."
    "He's so cool..."
    "So manly..."
    Spike:

And so we went to the island of Birth. It seems much more still -- but the air is cloying. The starlight is almost as bright as daylight here -- compared to it, the lightbulbs of the boathouse are dim flickers. The whole island hums, just underneath the human range.
    "Spirits of the evening star," I called into the night air. Clutched in my claws are another hair, another scale, a bit of dew caught on a blade of grass. It was a petty offering -- I should have brought something solid; a glass bauble, maybe. A piece of crystal. But if I held it in the light of my flame, it twinkled -- it would do. "I entreat you. I entreat you with a star on earth, in my esse --"
    One Jirachi, clad in a gentle silver glow, appeared and stopped me.

Jirachi: "No, not like that. We won't do it for that."
    "I have come, and am entreating you by the rites. You will."
    Jirachi: "We want more than rites."
    "What do you want?"
    Jirach: "Nothing."
    "I ... I want to be stronger! I want to be able to make everyone glad I'm a part of the team! My mistress spent her money so I could be great -- I want to be great, since she gave me that chance." She looked at the Jirachi with her hands on her heart. It seemed to me a hand too small to cover herself like that. "You are the spirits of wishes as well as stars -- so I entreat you with my wish."
    The Jirachi and its kin flitted through the tall grass, motioning us onward.
    "Did I do well?"
    "You did. Let's keep going."

Many of the opponents we faced were much like the ones at the earlier island, save for the Jirachi themselves: Those, ChuChu and Fisticuffs fought until I, too, stepped back from supervising to fight. Rya watched us intently, cheering us on -- after she was removed from the line of battle. Even though she knew it was impossible for her to fight, you could see her aching to try at the start of each match.

Jirachi: "She's a very slow learner -- are you sure she's worth your time?"
    "My Mistress commands I help her. My Mistress --"
    Jirachi: "I don't care about what your mistress wants. She's human, bound to her flesh, and to this world. What about you?"

Why did I want this...? So our team would not be weakened by the Mistress's impulsive wish. That is what I have said I wanted.
    "So our team..." It tasted wrong on my lips -- like sea water, like fruit gone past its prime. Rya was still watching me with sad blue eyes, waiting to hear me condemn her weakness. As would be right, for this world we live in.
    "Because she is a part of my team -- she is a pokemon chosen by my Mistress, chosen by ones with greater power than you... that means we are sisters. I will fight for her."
    Beneath a final burst of flame, the Jirachi retreats.

I turn and offer her a narrow smile. Then I feel the world shift to accomodate something -- like a rush of air, and light. My raiment shifts -- and I have already shifted to meet it. My body eases into a more predatory stance. I was taller -- fuller. I had new power, a new place in the world.
    Everyone applauded -- FISTICUFFS with both fists clamped, Spike with Phoebe and ChuChu hanging off of him and making him clap (he gave me an apologetic look), Rya quickly and earnestly.
    "Back to buisness. We can celebrate with the Mistress in the morning."

Training resumed -- after a few more insect foes, Spike became more able to offer his aid, thus we combined the two of their practices more thoroughly.

The night oozed around us like dark, thick honey. Through it we worked, to teach Rya the principles of battle so she could be ready. I think before, I would have considered it hopeless. Now? Now I showed her the strength of my claws, my white-hot flame. We each showed her a little something -- Spike his speedy kicks, Phoebe's wing-raised rushes of air, FISTICUFFS' splitting blow, ChuChu's surging shock.

Until, as dawn stirred around us, she nodded.

"I think I understand it now! You just run at it and charge with all you've got!"
    "HUZZAH."
    "Something like that."
    "Wouldn't it be better to...you know? Use water?"
    "How do you do that? I mean, you'd have to make the water, and I'm not sure..."
    "We'll work on it."

We headed back, with little Rya leading the way. The Mistress will be pleased with our progress.

"Azula? What in the name of sweet raptor jesus on a bicycle happened to you?!"
    "...Teamwork, Mistress."

Now, technically, those Jirachi may still be the best levelgrinding for her I have, but there's reached a point where my patience goes snappity-snap, and there it is. So we'll keep raising her, and I think the concensus is for TopPercen and Lila to be put in the reserves while Spike and Rya are a part of the team until suchtime as they are not.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    So we'll keep raising her, and I think the concensus is for TopPercen and Lila to be put in the reserves while Spike and Rya are a part of the team until suchtime as they are not.
    That sounds about right.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Next update may take a while -- no reason in the gameplay itself (for my knowledge), but rather because I'm thinking of putting this on hiatus until there aren't quite so many Pokemon LPs around. There's a pressure to having a lot of other LPs on the same basic game ongoing right now that's not very fun for me. But I'm also feeling pretty depressed in general right now, so my judgement may not be what it is when I'm feeling less down over-all. We'll see.
    Ending it permanently is not on the menu at all, though, and if I do put it on hiatus, I'll probably start thinking about another LP project from a series that isn't being pounded into the ground right at this moment, maybe Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (or one of the other GBA or GB Harvest Moons) or the GBA version of Azure Dreams. Or maybe some sort of monster-driven perspective of the original Monster Rancher Advance. Or something completely different.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-06-26 at 09:33 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

But...but...I like this one...

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    But...but...I like this one...
    Yeah. It's got cute people and costumes and a good narrative and characters and... and...

Don't stop that now.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show