New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

Chapter delayed due to frothing rage at photobucket. I'm still working on it, but with the addition of a second computer and aforementioned frothing rage.
    And don't talk to me about Imageshack. It has also incurred my wrath.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Behind Every Monster Is a Person in a Cute Costume: Let's Play Moemon Leafgreen!

Take your time, Deme. Perfection can not be rushed!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Switching computers made the whole image uploading process about 60 times easier, allowing me to post this chapter!

Chapter 22: Managing
    Spoiler
    Show

I sit down and I sort things out. A few TMs I sell, for good cash, but Brick Break looks like it'd suite FISTICUFFS well.

And as for Cut...
    "Mellow, why don't you come with us and use it?"
    "Us? Really?"
    "Really." I'm sure if I get used to her, she'll be less creepy to me, right? She's like red wine or something, one of those acquired tastes...
    "Keep your mysteries close. A wise strategy, Mistress."
    "It WiLl Be PuT tO gOoD uSe. We'll gladly help you with it!"

I sit at a desk in the pokemon center, everyone let loose while I work. I have my notes on everyone, so it's just a matter of sifting. Using that, I can try to come up with a good strategy for Surge. I've heard tell (and my internet research agrees) that he uses primarily (and by 'primarily,' I really mean 'exclusively' electric types, suggesting that the overall universe likes bad puns. He's a military man, and works with speed and power.
    Which means I want to be a little on the defensive, so that my pokemon could survive his pokemon getting first strike, which involved playing to the places electric couldn't hit strong.
    I glance at Mellow, who is experimenting with cutting on little bits of paper, making them into paper snowflakes with all the holes in the shape of little mushrooms.
    No.
    I think about Leafe. As a grass type, she's naturally resistant to electric types for some unfathomable reason. But then again... She doesn't actually have any good attacks, so if she survived, it wouldn't matter.
    No.
    And Belle, of course, has the same problem, though maybe a little less severe. It'd be trouble, but...
    No, it'd be trouble.

OK, switching lines of thinking: Spike still has dig, which'll hurt a lot. But when he comes up, he'll get hurt badly. And then I'll be in trouble, since I'd get trapped in a loop where I would have to heal, and couldn't attack for a while. No good.
    "Maybe if I get a Diglett? I mean, I'm gonna get one anyway, but use it as the main weapon..."
    "Or you could let me have the stone."
    I turn and see Spike standing there with a determined look on his face.
    "Oh, yeah... I kinda forget it's there sometimes. This would be the right time to use it, wouldn't it?"
    "Maybe. I guess you could say I've been...Putting it off a little. I mean, I knew the time was right. I guess I shoulda told ya sooner."
    "Is this what...you've been so worried about? Because you don't have to if you don't --"
    "See? You say that, but that's why I gotta do this. Because I'm getting too comfortable; if I don't do it now, I'll never have the guts. You're too darn comfy; everything's so nice that it makes you forget your edge a little."
    I don't think anyone has ever told me I was too nice before.
    "Gimme the stone. Thing's'll change a little... But that's destiny, it's life. Thing's'll change. But I'm a man."
    He grins and sounds like he's talking to himself more than me. Azula grins, watching the little spectacle.
    I dig the stone Phoebe gave to him out of the bag, and put it back into the center of his palm.

He takes it in both hands and focuses. The stone glows. It cracks audibly as the glow increases, wrapping Spike in a blinding, expanding pool of light.

He looks down at the broken shards of moonstone in his hand and crushes them into a fine powder with his fist.
    "...Not what I was expecting. Not bad, though..."
    I noticed a large percentage of my pokemon were as red as a whole crop of killer tomatoes.
    "Ooh, goodness... That is butter-melting hotness right there. BaH. PuNy PsEuDo-BeAsTs, WiTh YoUr HoRmOnEs..."

"I think you got a new technique from that, Spike. Want to go test it out?"
    "Yeah, do I ever!"

So it's time to go exploring the area outside Vermillion.

"...Uh...win?"
    I notice the little cup and dice at his feet. Oh, a gambler... Hey, there are kids at this field! What is this world coming to?

The title on his trainer card fools no one!

"Ok, Spike, let's give that new technique a try!"

"GAAAH!"
    "oooh, nice!"
    and then he just keeps going, slamming his arms right into the next pokemon the "gamer" brings out, bludgeoning her with the spines on his body. He roars.

"Spike, that's enough!"
    And he is not listening. I think I see a splatter of blood on his hands.

He looms over the Gamer, eyes glowing bright red. Is this what he was scared of?
    It feels like I'm drowning in syrup. He raises his armored arm. I have exactly half a second to find something to say.
    Maybe only a quarter second.
    "SPIKE! DON'T YOU DARE! I AM YOUR MISTRESS, AND YOU ANSWER TO ME!"
    I clutch his pokeball in my hand and squeeze. He turns, lashing his raised arm to strike his own body.
    But the pain drains the glow from his eyes. He looks down.
    "...What'm I...Doing...?"
    I put him back inside his pokeball, saving his questions for later.
    I turn to the "gamer."
    "I'm terribly sorry about that. I didn't --"

Oh. I guess he's not bothered...Shouldn't he be?
    “Anyway, I’m sorry about your Horsea. I hope it gets better.”
    Gambler: ”Oh, a trip to the Pokecenter and it’ll be fine. It’s the risk of the roll of the dice.”

I let Spike out again when we're a good distance away. He looks woozy.
    "You knew this was going to happen."
    "Na...Not exactly. I thought...It'd happen right away, or maybe... it wouldn't, you know? I had ta..."
    "Why didn't you warn me?"
    "Had ta...step up 'r go home..."
    "Spike. Take a minute and get your head back under you, then talk."
    He takes a minute, examining the self-inflicted cut, the blood on his arm, and not saying much.
    "I think it was that attack... Something like that...The adreneline started, and I just couldn't stop.” He glanced down at his hands, then up again. ”It won't happen again. I promise."
    "Are you sure?" He looks sorry; really sorry. I don't think Spike's a monster. Not unless evolving really changes things all that much.
    "I'll play it safe. It's all about control... Trust me. Please."
    He puts his only clean hand in my hand. I could go back to my 'get a diglett plan,' and he'd understand. I feel it in his hand. It's so passive, so still. It's not a fist.
    "Ok. We'll try it that way... It's not like we need that move right now, anyway... And if I see trouble, I'll stop you. I won't let you be a monster."
    I smile. A toothy grin crosses his broad face like a flight of migrating pidgeys that blankets the sky.
    "OK, let's get back to the plan, then."

And now that that little bit of melodrama is over, I get to go back to finding free stuff.

Youngster: "The shorts do not allow cheating!"
    "That's great...I guess." At least it's an honest cult.

Ok, now to watch Dig in action more closely and figure out when Spike will be vulnerable (to non-electric attacks, teehee), and when I'll be able to do something about it. And to watch Spike, and make sure he’ll be with me when the time comes.

Dig goes to attack first, leaving him protected. But those electric types may be faster, so I can't guarantee... Still, I think I can take some confidence that Spike can get underground quickly enough.

And Dig comes up first, leaving him vulnerable to a counter-attack.
    Well...if there was a counter-attack, anyway.

"...Have you been...talking to those guys at the bridge?"
    Youngster: "Ah, has my brother-in-shorts spread our word even there?"
    I wonder if maybe Team Rocket was the real threat here.

Now to browse the grass for wild pokemon...
    ,, and Spearow lived there.
    Oh, but while I was looking...
    Spike got maybe a little more into it than he used to, but he didn't go on a rampage again.

"Hey there...Not to interrupt your drama and training, but I found something you might like..."
    "Oh, yeah? What?"
    She offers a little disk into my hand.

"Hidden Power?...That sounds really complicated."
    "Well, you can make money off of it. Nice, right? Enjoy."
    And she slips away before I can argue. I think I'd need data I don't have to really use it well.

After that, I figured it was time to train up some of the other pokemon, who had trouble finding opponents on the ship.
    "At last! Thank you, Mistress... I wasn't concerned, though. I had every confidence you'd remember us all in time, Mistress."

"Well, let's see what you're made of."

"Not a bad move, actually." Azula's lowered accuracy meant it kept her at bay for a while.
    Not forever, mind, but it also meant I had to switch Azula out.

This one's easy; but it shows good variety, even with limited materials.

"No, not yet. But give them some trust...and they'll grow."

Hm. That may be useful for Lt. Surge. I'll save it.

"Hey...Got another little present for you."
    "You're getting a lot of these. Where are you getting them all from?"
    She waggles a finger at me.
    "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies, boss lady."

"Didn't I just sell this?"
    "Well, now you can sell it again. More money for everyone. It's not stealing, I promise."
    ...Well, the extra money will come in handy, right?

I glance around.
    "There aren't even power lines here..."
    Engineer: "Not that you can see."
    And now we're back in cryptic-land.

It's like a glomp-pile, but no one's at the center...Or is someone? Maybe a scrap of iron or something...

It takes maybe a little extra effort, but down she goes.

And Azula levels, so it's all worth it.

...Work mostly looks like standing around. Maybe he's on break.

More Gamblers. Guys like this get to me; they parade as gamers, but gamers don't sit out in fields with their dice! Sunlight and nature are the natural enemies of all stereotypical gamers!

It's a very short match, though.

"No, I suppose not." I wonder how prominent that philosophy is; depending on what he means by ‘coward,’ it may be very popular.

Again, I glance around. I see nothing resembling a cable.
    "Do these actually exist?"
    Engineer: "They're stealth cables."
    I rather want to repeat my question.

I decide it's time to try FISTICUFFS' new move.
    And that move is…

...Is this another cult?

...Poor guy. I wonder how many of the people here are perpetual losers?
    ...I wonder how many of the people I met are that way, too? But then someone would have to win, right? Someone besides me, presumably…

And I'm...Not going to be helping.
    But now that I've asked, I'm stuck wondering.

D'AAWWWWW! That is a winner in my book!

And so is Rya, as little comfort as that is to the questions in my mind.

...I'm...I'm sorry, mister illegal gambler...

Oh, free stuff. Distract me, free stuff!

I approach a young man. He looks like he's in the short cult, but I have to know.
    "Excuse me, but have you ever actually won a battle?"

Oh, that's a relief.

What makes him better than the other cultists, exactly?

Ah. He has a Raticate.

Not that it makes a huge difference.

"Hey, could you and the guy with the Vulpix exchange luck a little?"

A chance to try Dig on an electric type: excellent!

Also excellent. I guess this is his first real loss... Heh...

"Hey, go fight the guy up there; it'll be an easy win."
    For the other guy.

Ooh, new extra-nice pokeball! Excellent!

I'm not sure what I'm expecting here besides Diglets.

Oh, that's handy!

Ah, what a surprise... /sarcasm.

But that actually is a surprise. Do her hair buns have...faces?

Well, I have a badge that lets me use it (by the way, I find this notion worrying, and want to store it away for a later rant...), but I don't have the HM itself...

"Mellow, if you will?"
    "Of course."

She rips it to bits with her claws, allowing us to pass.

Hey, it's one of Oak's Aides!

"I do recall." I just said so in my internal monologue.

Wait, he's actually checking?!

"Of course…"
    I show him my Pokedex.

That is oddly convenient.
    "Tell him thank you for me."
    I turn to go, but then I remember the old man on the boat.
    "Hey...I have a question...Do you know why the Professor stopped training pokemon?"
    Aide: "No, I don't. I think one of the senior aides may know, though. Ask them; we've been doing field work, and are holding supplies for you and Beau."
    "Oh...Alright. Thanks."
    No questions answered here.

But at least I get free stuff.

"Hey..."
    "Let me guess: more TMs?"
    "Nope. Something different this time. Here you go."
    She puts a berry in my hand with a sly smile.

I make my way back to Vermillion: we're about ready for the gym, I think. Provided Spike doesn't lose it again, we should be good.

By the way, I gave Flash to Mellow, since I like loading up my HMslaves with all the HMs I can.
    Also, I'll be working on cast updates.

And it's voting time:
    what should I catch at route 11, what should I do with her, and what should I name her?
    The same applies to Diglett's cavern.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-08-23 at 10:42 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

If you didn't already have one Avatar reference, I'd say to name the Diglett/Dugtrio Toph. It's those cute buns.

Of course, I meant in her hair, not... There.

I'm going away now.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think you should catch a Drowzee, for the simple fact that you already have Pidgey, (Pidgey>Spearow) and you're already getting a pure Ground type in Diglett cave. (Dugtrio>Sandslash) I want to see how you handle a Drowzee's characterization.

Also, I really like Jasmine's dialogue. And Mellow's line after Spike's evolution was amazing.

And another thing, is there anywhere where you can get more Brick Breaks or Digs? Or can you find unlimited Earthquakes through either Game Corner or Shopping?
    Last edited by Penguinator; 2010-08-23 at 11:34 AM.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post

Also, I really like Jasmine's dialogue. And Mellow's line after Spike's evolution was amazing.

And another thing, is there anywhere where you can get more Brick Breaks or Digs? Or can you find unlimited Earthquakes through either Game Corner or Shopping?
    Thank you, thank you.

As for where I can get more TMs... Both Dig and Brick Break can be purchased en masse Celadon, but there's only one Earthquake, according to Bulbapedia. That is somewhat annoying.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-08-23 at 11:50 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ah, good. Azula and Chuchu would have insane power with Dig or Brick Break.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

I wonder why Magneton is still three Magnemites, but Dugtrio is a Diglett with hair buns... Anyway, I'd go for Diglett rather than Dugtrio, because I always prefer to manually evolve my pokemon. As for the other route... Eh... Abra's better than Drowzee, Pidgey's better than Spearow, and Diglett's better than Sandshrew. I'd say don't bother unless you really want one.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by originalpimp View Post
    I wonder why Magneton is still three Magnemites, but Dugtrio is a Diglett with hair buns... Anyway, I'd go for Diglett rather than Dugtrio, because I always prefer to manually evolve my pokemon. As for the other route... Eh... Abra's better than Drowzee, Pidgey's better than Spearow, and Diglett's better than Sandshrew. I'd say don't bother unless you really want one.
    It'll help with getting 30 pokedex entries to get the itemfinder, as well as having a spare pokemon in case of emergencies. I'm debating on whether I should do things the legit way and double back for the itemfinder later, or if I should 'catch and release' a pokemon or two for the 'dex...
    Or maybe I'll do a bit more reserves leveling after the gym.

Edit: Clearly that thing with the Dugtrio will have to be answered for one day. I'll think of a few reasons, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-08-23 at 12:48 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd like to see you get a Drowzee purely for the characterization.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. Drowzee that has a creepy infatuation with Terra (because she sleeps the most, apparently), complete with tons of Lesbian subtext.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2010-08-23 at 12:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pidgey's better than Spearow,
    Pidgey may be better than Spearow, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a serious Pokémon player who says that Pidgeot is actually better than Fearow. Drill Peck and higher Speed and Attack just leaves Pidgeot in the dust. Dodrio is better than either one, though.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

...I like that creepy idea of yours, Herpestidae.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

I'm probably not (since I don't read) the first one to say this, but I loved the dialogue with Jasmine the Meowth. :3

I am probably the first one to say that I picture pretty much every Meowth speaking like Maddie Blaustein which made the dialogue a lot funnier. xD
    Last edited by FantasyFoxMan; 2010-08-23 at 01:18 PM.
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Pidgey may be better than Spearow, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a serious Pokémon player who says that Pidgeot is actually better than Fearow. Drill Peck and higher Speed and Attack just leaves Pidgeot in the dust. Dodrio is better than either one, though.
    Well, I don't like Fearow. Pidgeot is just plain cooler.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    ...I like that creepy idea of yours, Herpestidae.
    The readers have spoken. Let it be so, Lady Deme.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

You totally have to get a Diglett/Digtrio and a Magnetron. :D

(The former being shy of light and possibly constantly getting surprised when someone uses Dig, crashing into her tunnels. The latter being a collective or a single entity spread over three bodies. )

Also: SPIKE evolved into BISHI. Yay?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

18. - Top - End - #318
    Firbolg in the Playground

"We are Magneton. We are many. We are unstoppable. Resistance is futile."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    "We are Magneton. We are many. We are unstoppable. Resistance is futile."
    Better yet:
    Porygon = /b/

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

The readers have spoken. Let it be so, Lady Deme.
    I also like this idea, actually. I was having a few other ideas for the Drowzee, most of them involving Terra in some way... But that's a pretty neat one. Figuring out Terra's reaction to that will be fun in and of itself...

Wait.
    Wait.
    Thought occurs.
    Eating dreams...that's a sort of intellectual rape, now, isn't it?

No, no, don't get concerned looks. I'm actually just thinking about also using the Drowzee to reference a character who refers to herself as an "intellectual rapist." I don't know if I will or not, or if anyone will recognize it, but it's a neat idea and moderately flexible, so I may include some small reference. Certainly, if gives me a name to use.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

21. - Top - End - #321

I am in full support of any plan that involves the term "intellectual rape".

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am in full support of any plan that involves the term "intellectual rape".
    Listen to this person, he is wise indeed.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Well, in the context of the character that the Drowzee will be, in name, referencing...

It's actually a wee bit dissapointing, and does not involve as much mindrape as one would think. But I'll mainly be taking the "everyone's just here for my stimulation" from the character, and maybe use a few of her catchphrases.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #324
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nihilist would make an easy role for little development.
    Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
    This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
    Cadimus Concordia.
    United We Fall.
    Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
    Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I also like this idea, actually. I was having a few other ideas for the Drowzee, most of them involving Terra in some way... But that's a pretty neat one. Figuring out Terra's reaction to that will be fun in and of itself...

Wait.
    Wait.
    Thought occurs.
    Eating dreams...that's a sort of intellectual rape, now, isn't it?

No, no, don't get concerned looks. I'm actually just thinking about also using the Drowzee to reference a character who refers to herself as an "intellectual rapist." I don't know if I will or not, or if anyone will recognize it, but it's a neat idea and moderately flexible, so I may include some small reference. Certainly, if gives me a name to use.
    Well, according to Pokecanon, Drowzees actually do sneak into people's houses to eat their dreams. It says that every time you wake up and cannot recall a dream, that's because a Drowzee is nearby.
    Some people have actually woken up to find a Drowzee standing right next to their bed...
    So, yeah.

And their evolution isn't any better.
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures:

26. - Top - End - #326

Yeah, the evolution goes so far as to KIDNAP CHILDREN...

They're both just damn creepy.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Considering Hypno has one of the biggest Nightmare Fuel sections of the Pokemon portion on Tv Tropes? Yeah. There's even a creepy song for it.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah...The creepiness abounds.
    Thinking about Terra's reaction to all of this is going to be the hard part for me when I really get working on it (right now, I am not, since I've got a new laptop that needs setting up): I have a few ideas I'm toying with, trying to decide exactly what tone I want to take with her.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Just wait until you get Snorlax...

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Bugbear in the Playground

I could see Snorlax and Hypno getting along just fine.