New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Seeking Undead CR 0-5

Good day Playground. I was wondering if you can help me out. I am running a undead heavy game and am looking of a more diverse set of foes. Are there any ideas for undead CR 0-5?

Also is there a good way to make an undead spellcaster at low levels?

Also any undead templates are welcome.

Please attach page numbers and book if you know them. Or a web reference. I want to be able to find and use what you suggest.

DND 3.5. I'll look at homebrew.

Thankyou Playground. Have fun!
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2010-05-25 at 10:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Seeking Undead CR 0-5

Make it all Shadows and Allips.

Ow! Stop throwing your dice at me! Why do people hate when I DM?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

If you don't want to use run of the mill Zombies and Skeletons, an Incarnum Zombie (Magic of Incarnum) is an excellent twist on the template. A Wight is a dangerous opponent for a party that can't deal with negative levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Make it all Shadows and Allips.

Ow! Stop throwing your dice at me! Why do people hate when I DM?
    As a fellow hated-DM-at-least-in-real-life-though-not-as-much-on-PbP-from-what-I-see:

protection from arrows (which, incidentally, functions equally well against d4s).
    Thelas

Ambiguously aligned Domain Wizard (Divination) 9/Iot7V 7 at your service.

If I am playing in or running a game and I don't seem to be showing up, PM me. Please.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You should have a look over on the Crystal Keep Lists site. There are several monster lists there. Take a look at the Template list also as there are lots of quite interesting undead templates.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Crystal keep isn't bad, but Here is by far my favorite monster finder.

If found bloodhulk fighter amongst lot o' other things. I love those bloodhulks.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2010-05-25 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I just tried bobvosh's link and I must say it is an excellent monster finder indeed. I found plenty of low CR undead using it that should keep you players busy until they can face the higher level stuff. Of note, however is what I like to call Rank and file vs. boss guy. I made an undead adventure recently for my players using only the MM and had a hard time finding low CR guys. So I made the tomb where the adventure took place in 3 distinct encounter zones. In the first one the trusted warriors(read Skeletons) of the evil king who was buried in this tomb were buried and rose to attack the PCs. In the second zone were the courtiers(read Zombies. I used zombies for the courtiers due to their lack of weapons or armor). And the final zone contained the evil king himself(second level fighter with the ghost template). basically the skellies and zombies would have been too low level(adventure was intended for 3rd level characters) but they were meant to be the dungeon fodder. Also I increased the EL of the encounters by sending waves of them at the players(kind of in keeping with the general theme of undead anyhow). However, the ghost had a high enough CR that it was ok that the players hadn't been challenged much on their way to him(i.e. he was the boss) since they would need their strength(and turn checks/cure spells). When running undead you have to ask yourself one question though. "is there a cleric?" if the answer is yes and especially if he's a good cleric, you can usually get away with larger CRs. It's like how you can send the players against high level fire elementals if they all have frost weapons and fire protection gear.

8. - Top - End - #8

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Also is there a good way to make an undead spellcaster at low levels?
    A Ghast Sorcerer 4 is only CR 5, using the non-associated class rules for CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron0224 View Post
    When running undead you have to ask yourself one question though. "is there a cleric?" if the answer is yes and especially if he's a good cleric, you can usually get away with larger CRs. It's like how you can send the players against high level fire elementals if they all have frost weapons and fire protection gear.
    Don't count on this though - remember that Turning is based on HD, and undead increase HD to CR at a 4-1 ratio. A good cleric will allow you to throw larger groups of low-HD undead (which would be a higher CR), but won't necessarily be of help against a single high-CR undead, who will have many more HD.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A Ghast Sorcerer 4 is only CR 5, using the non-associated class rules for CR.
    Necropolitan works as well. Note that for undead with class lvs, the class lvs' HD is not automatically upgraded to d12s. So a ghast sorc4 rolls 4d12+4d4 for its hp, not 8d12.

Alternatively, you can give them SLAs via evolved or spellstiched templates, but bear in mind that some of the SLAs can prove too powerful for their cr (for example, a ghoul can access cloudkill).
    Last edited by Runestar; 2010-05-26 at 12:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You want more challenging undead? Stick with simple skeletons, but add magic. Boost your CL and cast Extended Haste on bunches of them for more speed and more attacks. Or, if you want to get really nasty, cast Unliving Weapon (Book of Vile Darkness, page 108) on some of them. They'll explode for up to 10d6 damage either when hit, or at a predetermined time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Undead Caster: Make a Necropolitan (Libris Mortis). I prefer Wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Dragons also make for very challenging low-cr zombies/skeletons, given the right conditions.

Look at the stats of a very young white dragon skeleton. 9 dragon HD, 6 natural attacks, cr2. Throw on awaken undead and you make that darn crab look like some kobold commoner1.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Completely Unrelated, however, I just have to say it.
    Thank you so much BobVosh for this Monster Finder. It is indeed awesome.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Necropolitan works as well. Note that for undead with class lvs, the class lvs' HD is not automatically upgraded to d12s. So a ghast sorc4 rolls 4d12+4d4 for its hp, not 8d12.

Alternatively, you can give them SLAs via evolved or spellstiched templates, but bear in mind that some of the SLAs can prove too powerful for their cr (for example, a ghoul can access cloudkill).
    Sort of depends on how the thing became undead. Template seems to change all HD, current and future, to d12. Non-template undead seem to generally have d12 for racial and class HD for class levels.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.