New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Messed-Up Faerun #3.5 FR#

In my upcoming Forgotten Realms campaign, the Weave has gone to hell in a handbasket. Spellcasters are forced to literally cast spells with caution to the wind. All they get to pick is the spell's level. So I need something that meshes well with either Orc, Half-Orc, or Goliath. We are gonna be 2nd level

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Messed-Up Faerun #3.5 FR#

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    In my upcoming Forgotten Realms campaign, the Weave has gone to hell in a handbasket. Spellcasters are forced to literally cast spells with caution to the wind. All they get to pick is the spell's level. So I need something that meshes well with either Orc, Half-Orc, or Goliath. We are gonna be 2nd level
    What is wrong with a Fighter!?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    What is wrong with a Fighter!?
    fighter's a joke class. It sucks without SERIOUS screwing with

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Play a Warblade then?
    BEEP.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Play a Warblade then?
    DM said no ToB

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

DM said no ToB
    Play a PsyWar? This class suggestion thing goes faster if you tell us what houserules and disallowed books you're working with.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-05-25 at 12:25 PM.
    BEEP.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If the spellcasters can't decide which spells they cast, isn't fighters being underpowered a non-issue? But if you don't want to play a core fighter anyway, try a fighter fix like Ultimate Fighter.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Truenamer... For once, their kind of magic will be more reliable than that of the real casters.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Play a PsyWar? Or some other psionic class.
    Psionics are the same as spellcasting. Any form of casting (including Incarnum) is now 100% randomized

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Psionics are the same as spellcasting. Any form of casting (including Incarnum) is now 100% randomized
    Psionics doesn't use the Weave, actually.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-05-25 at 12:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

hmm... non-casting Ranger (CWar)? Archery path, use a greatsword for melee combat.

Don't forget you can draw weapons as part of a move action.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm gonna reiterate my edit then. TELL US ALL THE HOUSERULES AND BOOKS ALLOWED SO THAT WE DON'T PLAY THIS GAME OF GOTCHA.
    BEEP.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Although really, if casters are crapped on like that, you're far better off not being a caster. Most of the power of spellcasters pretty much evaporates if you have no control over what you cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I would think that this would be the perfect time to be a fighter with the spell casters in such disaray.

Also, I don't think they suck, you just need to pick your direction and stick with it in your feat selection. At lower levels they are better than most classes in my opinion. At higher levels, the casters tend to rule, but you do not have that issue. Unless you see this wild-magic time coming to an end soon...

Maybe you look at the Mage Slayer feat tree to totally mess with the casters. Now you cannot cast defensively around me AND you are not sure what you will be casting!! Brilliant! Win one for the meat shields!

15. - Top - End - #15

Planetar

Does being a wild mage confer any advantage?
    Does anybody in your group plan on playing a caster?
    What about spell-likes?
    What happens if the chosen spell isn't legal for that target?
    "I cast a first level spell at the orc." "You identify him."

All of this sounds like a very roundabout way to say "It's actually FR low magic, and I want you to play non-casters."

So I would do just that. Barbarian, Dungeoncrusher Fighter, Rogue... take your pick.

16. - Top - End - #16

All FR books, All Complete, ect. And all forms of casting are randomized

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the mental gymnastics required to classify incarnum as spellcasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

If "all magic isn't working" rather than "the Weave isn't working" then psionics is included (since it's a form of magic)- if it is only the weave that's messed up, psionics is fine.

Players Guide to Faerun:

Unlike spells, which derive their power from Faeun's Weave (or Shadow Weave), psionic power taps only the inner reservoirs of the manifester. In a sense, each psionic creature is its own Weave, using the magic of its own lifeforce and mind to create psionic effects. Mystra and Shar have no ability to deny psionic creatures access to powers, and they do not control the promulgation of psionic lore and ability throughout Faerun.

While psionics does not require the Weave to function, psionic powers are magical in nature.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Swok View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the mental gymnastics required to classify incarnum as spellcasting.
    He said that's how it works, since you draw from the Incarnum, which in his book, is interconnected with the Weave.

And there are "Calm Areas" where the Weave isn't a Charlie Fox, if you speak phonetic...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

As written in MoI, sometimes incarnum seems to come from within- it's the character's own personal soul energy) and sometimes from without (incarnum wielders can manipulate ambient soul energy.)

Either way, Mystra shouldn't be able to deny an incarnum wielder their powers- but if "magic itself" (rather than just the Weave) is going haywire, then incarnum wielders might be affected too.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-05-25 at 12:43 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

So... Goliath Barbarian?

Or are you totally bent on not playing a martial class despite the obvious advantages it has in your current campaign?

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    As written in MoI, sometimes incarnum seems to come from within- it's the character's own personal soul energy) and sometimes from without (incarnum wielders can manipulate ambient soul energy.)

Either way, Mystra shouldn't be able to deny an incarnum wielder their powers- but if "magic itself" (rather than just the Weave) is gong haywire, then incarnum wielders might be affected too.
    in this case, they are. Magic as a whole is on Wheel of Fortune mode, inless you happen to be in a calm zone.

Hence why I want something that makes an Orc in the Party not look like some bdb (Big, Dumb Brute), which we have in an Orc Barbarain

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

Well, you could have said that earlier. You asked for something that meshes well with 3 rather melee focused races.

What about a Knowledge-Devotion rogue, then? At higher levels, you can still UMD in the areas where magic works.
    Last edited by Aharon; 2010-05-25 at 12:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Well, you could have said that earlier. You asked for something that meshes well with 3 rather melee focused classes.

What about a Knowledge-Devotion rogue, then? At higher levels, you can still UMD in the areas where magic works.
    Well, actually was looking at Knight (to play against the Orc-Stereotype). Is knight all that good?

25. - Top - End - #25

I'd suggest not playing. This just screams "The DM is a control freak, and will abuse this houserule to make your life a living hell."

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    I'd suggest not playing. This just screams "The DM is a control freak, and will abuse this houserule to make your life a living hell."
    Opposite. He wants spellcasters to be on the same par as melee. In his idea, the spellcaster must make do with what he gets to pull victory from the jaws of defeat

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Sorry, can't help you there. I never looked into the class all too thoroughly. JaronK puts it at Tier 5, the same as fighter and paladin, in his Tier system found at BrilliantGameologists. As usual, they can be higher with optimization. All I can do is point to the Knight handbook on the same site.

Also note that this houserule really, really makes martial characters less useless. Even a normal fighter might be viable, despite it normally being considered weak.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Be a class with a small spell list, like a Warlock - that weights the odds of getting what you want heavily in your favor, and because you never run out of "ammunition" you can just keep spamming until you get what you need.

Binder too - since what you get is based on what you bind (and it is also unlimited use) randomizing it won't help him very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Psionics doesn't use the Weave, actually.
    No, but because it interacts with the Weave, you could feasibly stretch Weave instability to affecting psionic powers.

(For external effects, anyway. Self-powers should probably be unaffected.)
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-05-25 at 12:59 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Sorry, can't help you there. I never looked into the class all too thoroughly. JaronK puts it at Tier 5, the same as fighter and paladin, in his Tier system found at BrilliantGameologists. As usual, they can be higher with optimization. All I can do is point to the Knight handbook on the same site.

Also note that this houserule really, really makes martial characters less useless. Even a normal fighter might be viable, despite it normally being considered weak.
    ok. Knight or Warlock (who ironically isn't affected) SLAs and Sup. aren't affected

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, actually was looking at Knight (to play against the Orc-Stereotype). Is knight all that good?
    As a dip its okay, but for the long run its not better than a fighter. Knight is also PHII, which wasn't on your allowed list, neither was MoI, so can we please know what is allowed and what isn't. In UA there is a wildhsaping ranger, is that randomized as well? What about binding?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself