New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] spellsword build

This is somewhat a consolidation of these three threads.
    So yeah.
    I'm making a spellsword character, and I need some help. Here is what I have so far:
    Human
    Battle Sorcerer 15/Abjurant Champion 5
    Ability scores:
    Strength 15
    Dexterity 17
    Constitution 14
    Intelligence 12
    Wisdom 10
    Charisma 18
    Feats:
    {table=head]Level|Feats Gained
    1|Born Hero, Negotiator, Dodge, Mobility
    3|Eschew Materials
    6|Improved Toughness
    9|Combat Casting
    12|Battle Caster
    15|Arcane Strike
    18|Empower Spell[/table]
    Any other suggestions?
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-05-26 at 02:15 PM.
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] spellsword build

Are those your starting scores? Also your going Fighter first level for the bonus feat/hit die increase right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I...but...you're doing it....ARGhgoaigpaokwobgnaow..........

Find a happy place, find a happy place, find a happy place.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Why do you have more than one level of Spellsword? Loosing 4 caster levels is not worth anything you could possibly gain...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I...but...you're doing it....ARGhgoaigpaokwobgnaow..........

This is very likely to be the general theme of most responses you get. Are you willing to tweak your build slightly while still maintaining the martial caster theme? Because, you know... Abjurant Champion, etc.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Why do you have more than one level of Spellsword? Loosing 4 caster levels is not worth anything you could possibly gain...
    I am building my character to do some combat and some spellcasting, as well as wear armor without spell failure chances. And it is better to give up 4 caster levels than to lose all of them by switching to fighter, and I don't like the eldritch knight.
    -Xavez
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would you be willing to only take one level of Spellsword, switch around a bunch of your feats, and feel the Pwnage that is Abjurant Champion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Eronai_Jantig View Post
    Are those your starting scores? Also your going Fighter first level for the bonus feat/hit die increase right?
    As well as weapon/armor proficiencies for the spellsword.
    -Xavez

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Good, okay, unlike some of the others I fully understand why you'd hit the spell sword as a choice, let me see if I can whip something up, also I do need to know if those are starting or final scores, and whats up with the commoner thing? I'm assuming the Born Hero is a bonus feat?

Edit: Though I fully admit, going spell sword is suboptimal, it can be fun.
    Last edited by Eronai_Jantig; 2010-05-25 at 05:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My advice: Go Full Elf or Human, instead of half-elf, as this will make a lot of things easier for you. Class progression should go something like this: Sorcerer 4/Eldritch Knight 3/Abjurant Champion 5/EK+7/Whatever 1

Feats
    1st: Otherwordly
    (H: Power Attack)
    3th: Sanctum Spell
    6th: Combat Casting
    9th: Extend Spell
    12th+: Something along the lines of Persistent Spell or something that'll boost Power Attack for fun and profit.

This is pretty standard gish stuff. You could go the Sorcadin route, going Paladin 2/Sorcerer X, where X is enough to meet the spell requirements of Sacred Exorcist/Sacred Exorcist Y/Abjurant Champion 5. Grab a devotion feat or two and enjoy yourself.

Now, if you must have Spellsword on the table, I recommend using the first build stub, grab some Dodge-variant feat and use the Otyugh Hole to get Iron Will, take a level of Dragonslayer to qualify for Spellsword, then take no more than 3 levels of Spellsword.

Will link a handbook later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Would you be willing to only take one level of Spellsword, switch around a bunch of your feats, and feel the Pwnage that is Abjurant Champion?
    What is Abjurant Champion?
    -Xavez

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    What is Abjurant Champion?
    -Xavez
    Short answer: Awesome.

Longer answer: A five level long PrC from Complete Mage that is 5/5 casting, Good BAB, d10 HD, and class abilities that boost AC granting spells.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    My advice: Go Full Elf or Human, instead of half-elf, as this will make a lot of things easier for you. Class progression should go something like this: Sorcerer 4/Eldritch Knight 3/Abjurant Champion 5/EK+7/Whatever 1

Feats
    1st: Otherwordly
    (H: Power Attack)
    3th: Sanctum Spell
    6th: Combat Casting
    9th: Extend Spell
    12th+: Something along the lines of Persistent Spell or something that'll boost Power Attack for fun and profit.

This is pretty standard gish stuff. You could go the Sorcadin route, going Paladin 2/Sorcerer X, where X is enough to meet the spell requirements of Sacred Exorcist/Sacred Exorcist Y/Abjurant Champion 5. Grab a devotion feat or two and enjoy yourself.

Now, if you must have Spellsword on the table, I recommend using the first build stub, grab some Dodge-variant feat and use the Otyugh Hole to get Iron Will, take a level of Dragonslayer to qualify for Spellsword, then take no more than 3 levels of Spellsword.

Will link a handbook later.
    Because of campaign-specific rules, first 10 levels must be one class. And my character is somewhat based on negotiating, so I want my half-elf.
    -Xavez

14. - Top - End - #14

Abjurant Champion is a PrC found in Complete Mage. It has 5/5 spellcasting, full BaB and a d10 HD. It also gives you some nice abilities, like casting Abjurantion spells as a quick action.v It's a must for any Arcane Gish, really.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Because of campaign-specific rules, first 10 levels must be one class. And my character is somewhat based on negotiating, so I want my half-elf.
    -Xavez
    Okay, then give me a minute to find a link to something that can actually work with 10 levels of Sorcerer while retaining at least 16 BAB pre-epic.

Truly this is something to fear.

EDIT: As for the negotiating, I can only give one word: spells.
    Last edited by Thrice Dead Cat; 2010-05-25 at 05:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I am building my character to do some combat and some spellcasting, as well as wear armor without spell failure chances. And it is better to give up 4 caster levels than to lose all of them by switching to fighter, and I don't like the eldritch knight.
    -Xavez
    A mithral Breastplate is wearable with 0% spell failure at Spellsword 3, if you can't manage to get one of the armor templates to take that other 5% off for you. There's no reason to take Spellsword any higher than that unless you're obsessed about getting 0% failure full plate, and honestly, with Dex as your highest physical score you probably will do better with the breastplate. That'd open up 6 levels to use on.. probably Abjurant Champion, since you're already considering taking Combat Casting.

If you're ok with saccing that many caster levels, tho.. have you considered Swiftblade?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

-Xavez
    Try a Sorcadin.

Base: Sorc 4/Pal 2(any order, really)

Prestige: Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8

You can replace Sacred Exorcist with any other decent full-caster prestige class, but good luck finding a better one.

Notables:
    -9th level spellcasting by L20
    -16 BAB, enabling all four BAB attacks by L20, losing BAB twice during sorc levels and twice again during SE levels(When you're gaining turning and high level spells, so oh well)
    -Cha to saves
    -Arcane Preperation gets you Greater Luminous Armor, which is 1.Full Plate, 2.An Abjuration, 3.Gives a -4 to melee attacks against you.
    -Turning for divine might or travel devotion
    -Ability to get Cha to AC with 2 feats(Improved unarmed strike + Ascetic Mage). Since you never actually wear armor(GLA for the win!), this stacks.
    -Possibility of persistent Mirror Move, for up to four free fighter feats from core(So you can qualify for a Heroics(Shock Trooper) without spending feats on Power Attack).

Ok, I'm done.

Adds a bit of holy warrior to the mix, but if that's the only problem with it, I can find other, non-Sorcadin gish builds for you to look at, ones that do gish well.

-Xavez
    Ok, I missed this. This sucks. Your DM has gimped gish builds into near-dust. However, the above build still 'works', just with 6 levels less of Sacred Exorcist, which were entirely pre-epic filler.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2010-05-25 at 05:50 PM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    A mithral Breastplate is wearable with 0% spell failure at Spellsword 3, if you can't manage to get one of the armor templates to take that other 5% off for you. There's no reason to take Spellsword any higher than that unless you're obsessed about getting 0% failure full plate, and honestly, with Dex as your highest physical score you probably will do better with the breastplate. That'd open up 6 levels to use on.. probably Abjurant Champion, since you're already considering taking Combat Casting.

If you're ok with saccing that many caster levels, tho.. have you considered Swiftblade?
    First: I really want somebody to give me a link for the Abjurant Champion. I've only gotten a generic description so far, and I don't think the DM will let me by with that. But you have a good point. Until I get Mithral Breastplate, I'll go with studded leather.
    Thank you for your input,
    Xavez

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Try a Sorcadin.

Base: Sorc 4/Pal 2(any order, really)

Prestige: Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8

You can replace Sacred Exorcist with any other decent full-caster prestige class, but good luck finding a better one.

Notables:
    -9th level spellcasting by L20
    -16 BAB, enabling all four BAB attacks by L20, losing BAB twice during sorc levels and twice again during SE levels(When you're gaining turning and high level spells, so oh well)
    -Cha to saves
    -Arcane Preperation gets you Greater Luminous Armor, which is 1.Full Plate, 2.An Abjuration, 3.Gives a -4 to melee attacks against you.
    -Turning for divine might or travel devotion
    -Ability to get Cha to AC with 2 feats(Improved unarmed strike + Ascetic Mage). Since you never actually wear armor(GLA for the win!), this stacks.
    -Possibility of persistent Mirror Move, for up to four free fighter feats from core(So you can qualify for a Heroics(Shock Trooper) without spending feats on Power Attack).

Ok, I'm done.

Adds a bit of holy warrior to the mix, but if that's the only problem with it, I can find other, non-Sorcadin gish builds for you to look at, ones that do gish well.
    First: what is gish?

Second: I have to take my first 10 levels in one class because of campaign-specific rules.
    -Xavez

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Half-elf? Really? I mean why not go human: you get bonus feats and more skill points as opposed to half-elves who just get some skill bonuses you could easily compensate for with your extra feat and/or skill points.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

First: what is gish?

Second: I have to take my first 10 levels in one class because of campaign-specific rules.
    -Xavez
    1) Gish is a 'does both fighting and magic' build, leftover from a mis-prounciation of 'Gith' referring to the fact that 1e Githyanki and Githzeri did both magic (before they were psionic) and fighting very well.

2) What if it is only a five-level prestige class? Can you go Sorc/Fighter/AbChamp5/Spellsword1?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

-Xavez
    Less likely to work option:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dragonwrought Wyrm Of War Desert Kobold
    Sorcerer10/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 4

Wyrm of War to avoid Loredrake controversy, though your DM has to be okay with Dragonwrought kobolds qualifying for Sovereign Archetypes for this to work. Wyrm of War grants full proficiency with all martial weapons and all types of armor, and gives you a bonus fighter or draconic-themed feat every 5 levels.

More likely to work option:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Changeling Wizard 10/Fighter 1/Runesmith 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 3

Changelings have to be the best face characters ever. I highly recommend playing one over a *shudder* half-elf.

Take the feat in Races of Eberron that allows you to qualify as a member of whatever race you choose to emulate. Emulate a Dwarf. You now qualify for Runesmith without being an ugly Dwarf.

Wizards work much better than Sorcerers with a Runesmith, but you could play a Sorcerer if you really wanted to.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Half-elf? Really? I mean why not go human: you get bonus feats and more skill points as opposed to half-elves who just get some skill bonuses you could easily compensate for with your extra feat and/or skill points.
    I'm going for a character who is good with defeating foes, but even better at gaining allies.
    -Xavez

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Less likely to work option:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dragonwrought Wyrm Of War Desert Kobold
    Sorcerer10/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 4

Wyrm of War to avoid Loredrake controversy, though your DM has to be okay with Dragonwrought kobolds qualifying for Sovereign Archetypes for this to work. Wyrm of War grants full proficiency with all martial weapons and all types of armor, and gives you a bonus fighter or draconic-themed feat every 5 levels.

More likely to work option:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Changeling Wizard 10/Fighter 1/Runesmith 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 3

Changelings have to be the best face characters ever. I highly recommend playing one over a *shudder* half-elf.

Take the feat in Races of Eberron that allows you to qualify as a member of whatever race you choose to emulate. Emulate a Dwarf. You now qualify for Runesmith without being an ugly Dwarf.

Wizards work much better than Sorcerers with a Runesmith, but you could play a Sorcerer if you really wanted to.
    First: I don't think the DM will allow Kobolds or Changelings in a Commoner campaign. We eventually retrain our commoner levels for other NPC classes, and then retrain those in to PC classes.

Second: Half-Elves are a balanced race along with other races, but most PCs rarely use Diplomacy or Gather Information.
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-05-25 at 06:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

What does race have to do with being a poor-as-dirt Commoner?
    Homebrewer's Signature

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    What does race have to do with being a poor-as-dirt Commoner?
    Because I don't think a Dragonwrought War Wyrm Kobold would be living in a farming village. I'll ask the DM.
    -Xavez

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

First Abjurant Champion is from Complete Mage. Also a note on armor and such. I like wearing Full-Plate for reasons of awesome. It's kinda badass to be a caster wearing full plate with no issues. The way to do this in my outline is this. You get 10% reduced by being a Spellsword, then 10% from having it made from Mithril, then 10% from it being enchanted with Twilight (BoED, PH2, MIC), then enhance it with Thistledown Padding (5% reduction addition of Armor Check Penalty) which is from Races of the Wild if I remember correctly, it's also the easiest to get by your DM.

And yes, if the Book of Exalted Deeds is fully open, Greater Luminous Armor is the best thing for you, it's literally better than armor. However, you can use both for both awesomeness, and optimalness.

Fighter 1/Sorcerer 10/Abjurant Champion 5/SpellSword 1/Something that increases spell-casting and BaB all the way.

Reasoning behind this:
    The AC boost and no losing caster levels you will see from Abjurant Champion is worth more than that of your limited per day move action to channel spell ability. You gain that ability back by utilizing a Quicken Spell + Smiting Spell metamagic'd spell along with Rapid Metamagic. Yeah your expending high level slots, but its worth it, because now you can as a swift action, cast say, Combust (Spell Compendium) and do at least 10d8 damage by time you can cast it.

Since you'll be using the Shield spell (Which is not only lasts longer and is faster to cast, but adds more to your AC because of your levels in Abjurant Champion.) it becomes pointless to have a shield, thus I suggest a Great Sword.

I also suggest getting to 9th level spells, find some way to boost your caster level to 22, become a solar, and profit. As thats what I'm doing on my gish.

Ways to do this?
    Items:
    Ring of Arcane Might: 20,000 (Magic Item Compendium), +1 To arcane caster level.
    Orange Ioun Stone: 30,000, +1 To caster level.

Spells:
    Spell Enhancer: Level 4, swift action, +2 Caster Level

Other thoughts:

Useful spells:
    Dragonskin (Spell Compendium), +5 Nat AC by level 10, becomes redundant when you can become a solar, unless it stacks, I'm not sure if it does.

Orb of Force (Spell Compendium), bread and butter sorcerer spell, even if your not a blaster build. You can hit pretty much anything with 10d6 damage.

Dimension Door, hey, at later levels you can pop it as a swift at the end of your action if need be (At the end because after use, it will end your action, no Dim Door to flank full actions unfortunately.)

Combust (Spell Compendium) already mentioned it, its fire damage, level 2, and a good idea to arcane thesis(PH2 feat) to lower the spell level when metamagic.

I suggest getting items to enhance your ability scores going in this order: CHA, STR, DEX, CON

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Unlocking the latent powers of your heritage, etc, etc.

Changeling is, admittedly, easier to explain.
    Homebrewer's Signature

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

It's in Complete Mage. As such, it is copyrighted information. There is no authorized source that can be linked to.

Also, calm down.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-05-25 at 06:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Screaming
    I don't think it's available for free online, within the limits of the law.