New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Detailed Maps of Settlements (For a zombie game)

I'm planning on running a short zombie-survival game soon, and hopefully tactical placement within the city will be important. Unfortunately, all the town maps I can find are either not detailed enough or too modern, and I doubt my map-making skills are up to the test.

I need a map (or three) that is detailed enough to show the individual streets and buildings of different sizes. I only need one, but an additional two would be nice as well.

They're smallish towns, maybe large villages. One is on the coast, and the other two are on grassy flatlands or large hills. The surrounding area is unimportant, as long as the innards of the map are detailed enough.

(I realize this is kind of a specific request, so feel free to drop any conditions you feel are unnecessary or too restricting, the detail is the most important part.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Tennant was an angsty war vet, whereas Smith is a lunatic in a fez.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Detailed Maps of Settlements (For a zombie game)

I suppose I'd be willing to draw up some maps if you like. They'd be pencil and paper work, and generally speaking I'd like to avoid each map taking more than a single sheet of paper, but fictional cartography is something I thouroughly enjoy, and I believe I do a decent enough job of it. If you're interested send me a PM with a little bit more detail about the composition of the towns, and I'll have something back to you in 2-3 days.

Alternatively, there are a lot of small towns in Europe that are virtually identical now to what they were 300 years ago. One could, for example, take a map of Sensine, France, rename the streets and label a couple important buildings and have something approximating a medieval town.

Finally, there's a few decent stock maps available. For example:
    Falcon's Hollow
    Sand Point
    Koppolex

These are all, of course, far prettier and higher quality than anything anyone will make custom for you. Especially the Paizo maps...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I really wasn't looking for a custom map, though having one would be cool. I definitely wouldn't expect someone else to do that much work on my behalf, if I didn't need to. I was mostly just hoping for stock maps, like the three you pointed out. Unfortunately, those don't show the levels of detail I was hoping for, nor did anything else I could find. The modern maps of small towns is a good idea, and I may get a Google Maps printout of some.

If nothing else works, I'll let you know, Daedalus. Thanks for the offer!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Given that I too am working on a short zombie survival game, I'll let you know what I come up with when I finish drawing. :P
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, that'd be great. I meant to link to your thread, actually, but I forgot.

I'm definitely inspired in part by your thread.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
    Hey, that'd be great. I meant to link to your thread, actually, but I forgot.

I'm definitely inspired in part by your thread.
    D'aww, shucks. But THAT means you're partly inspired by SilverClawShift, since some of my inspiration came from her epic epic of epicness.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, SCS is definitely an inspiration as well. That was an epic campaign journal.