Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Energy Project(3.5)

Aha. Now, that makes sense.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Aha. Now, that makes sense.
    I know, right?

Think we could start choosing which kind of powers belong to each stream? Seeing as we have the basic chassis for the system now.
    Please read and evaluate the changes I'm trying to smooth out in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154036

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Right.

Arrgh, my feet hurt. I was swimming yesterday and my entire front feet and toes are raw now...

Aaand I have to go for a while. I'll be back as soon as I can be.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Right.

Arrgh, my feet hurt. I was swimming yesterday and my entire front feet and toes are raw now...

Aaand I have to go for a while. I'll be back as soon as I can be.
    Ah allright, good luck. I'll, uhm, wait.
    Please read and evaluate the changes I'm trying to smooth out in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154036

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, how about a basic block for each Power?

Maybe:

Power Name[power type;mental,offensive,etc.]
    Level: X
    Energy Point Cost:
    Target:
    Range:
    Effect:
    Duration:

Fluff.

Description

Charging: For each additional X points you spend on [power name], [effect].

?
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-06-02 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think you should have the 'augment' cost flow, how are you going to make that work well with Backflow? Though I'm kind of tired now, so I can't think of another system quite as fast.

And no, I didn't think of anything while at work this time, was thinking of my upcoming d&d session.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Maybe we should have Charging a Power cost Backflow instead of normal Energy. Interesting idea.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm. Maybe we should have Charging a Power cost Backflow instead of normal Energy. Interesting idea.
    No, never ever do that. Bad design.

What you just proposed was the total annihilation of a quick battle if you can't use your powers to the fullest from the start.

But to augment powers, hmmm... You know, you don't need to be able to augment them, just let them scale by level.

Augmenting/charging can be done by 'metachannel' feats, I suggest that you gain 1 backflow for every 2 flow you spend on a 'metachannel' feat.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I see.

Sure, that sounds good to me. How much should we raise the costs, though? 1 per +1d6 for damage, 2 for +1 DC for saves....?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrin View Post
    No, never ever do that. Bad design.

What you just proposed was the total annihilation of a quick battle if you can't use your powers to the fullest from the start.
    Popping in to say: wait, what?

"Quick battle" does not mean "rocket tag".

If I'm understanding the system at all, you have points. When you spend 2X points on a power, X points go into a pool of sorts for you to regenerate slowly, and the other X points come back later (per day?).

Spending the pool to boost your powers lets you have a sort of "power charging" mechanic, where you get "broken in" to the fight and you get a sort of feedback loop, where using things lets you make those things stronger until you burn out.

You go nova, but you have to charge up to that point.

That's really what I think of when I hear things about "energy" and "pools" and whatnot. Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Though that would really just delay rocket tag. Limits on augmentation via backchanneling (maybe even make it a feat series?) are necessary, with some sort of penalty for overchanneling.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-06-04 at 03:46 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe you can only spend a certain amount of points per power?

OR you can spend more than X points, but you need to make a Will save or have more energy "sucked" into the power and potentially end up rather drained.

Maybe for every Y points over X you go, you make a Will save at DC (15?20?)+Y or lose (1d4?1d6?Y?) more points into the power?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

With quick battle I mean having your options open from the start, as with every other class. It's more of a balance issue. And you can't nova if you have to spend several rounds charging up.

But I thought about it with a clear mind, and it does work. But it requires the backflow change I suggested earlier: Backflow is added when a powers' duration ends, for a 'fireball' it owuld be right away, but for buffs it would be at the end of the duration. You could make buffs that you discharge. You can easily get backflow that way at the start of a combat.

So allright, Backflow to augment is pretty sweet when you think about it. Good thing I'm not the one designing the system!

We need to figure out how the backflow augment will work for all levels of powers.

If you would just say that you can't spend more flow and backflow on a power then your channeler level + 1 it would mean that the lowest powers cost a tremendous ammount of backflow while the higher ones would still give more backflow then you can spend.

If it said that you can't augment for more then channeler level(rounded up) it would make lower powers obsolete due to the higher powers being far more effective, both action and power-wise.

Other options include letting the powers scale by level like spells and having backflow augments only give more versatility to a power, like increasng targets or radius, or some other effects like casting as a swift action or move action.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Looks good. However, I'm still not sure about the numbers themselves. I'm thinking that maybe there can be a base effect/Charging(totally unlike, 100% different than "Augmentation" ) and you can take MetaPower feats to allow for new stuff. For example:

Widen Power
    FLUFF YEAH
    Benefit: For any Power you Channel, you can spend an additional X points to double its Area of Effect(single target spells have an AoE of one square). Remember the x2/x3/x4 rule(two uses of this feat on a 5' AoE Power result in a 15' AoE, not a 20' AoE), and for each doubling, add X to the cost to double again.
    Normal: You can't do that. So uncool.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

With quick battle I mean having your options open from the start, as with every other class. It's more of a balance issue. And you can't nova if you have to spend several rounds charging up.
    Alright, then it's more of IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZER.

And having more backflow available than you can spend is potentially a good thing; there should be some way to recharge your initial pool, aside from going into sleep mode.

Although being able to spend it all does give you options. Do I dump all of my energy into this one attack, at the risk of not being able to do ANYTHING later, or do I let some of my energy recharge?

Backflow should definitely NOT be used to initiate powers in the first place. Not that anyone suggested that, but a word of caution. Letting backflow take the majority of energy costs to use a power either a) reduces the options available at the start (like Ferrin says) or b) reduces the tension of low flow pool with high backflow (can't use anything, but if I could it'd be SO EPIC).
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

Red: Offensive, damage-dealing.
    Blue: Defensive, healing.
    Grey: Neutralizing of other disciplines.
    Other associations that might fit;

Red: releasing energy into the world, destructive power, in a stereotypical setting could be considered 'male' or bright / hot / active Yang energy
    Blue: absorbing energy non-destructively, infusing energy non-destructively into another person (as a 'buff'), could be associated with 'female' or cold / dark / reactive Yin energy
    Grey: altering energy (or matter), tinkering with stuff, divination effects, knowing and understanding and changing things, in a Yin/Yang system, could be considered the line between them, or to represent formless transcendent spirit, instead of a material gender

The correlation between White Wolf's Wyrm (destruction), Wyld (creation) and Weaver (shaper/architect) or the Hindu Trimurti of Brahma (creator), Vishnu (preserver/architect) and Shiva (destroyer) seems cool.
    Last edited by Set; 2010-06-05 at 06:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Alright, then IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZER
    ...I agree with the post, especially the 'spend all energy on super-attack' thing.

Also, can I sig this?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

...I agree with the post, especially the 'spend all energy on super-attack' thing.

Also, can I sig this?
    Any ideas on how to make the "I'MA POWERING MA LAZERS!!!1" work? Besides the easy way out, which is just saying that you don't need to regenerate your backflow if you dont want to.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Any ideas on how to make the "I'MA POWERING MA LAZERS!!!1" work? Besides the easy way out, which is just saying that you don't need to regenerate your backflow if you dont want to.
    I just assumed that you regenerate backflow when you rest or when you do a one-minute ritual, and you can just not do that if you can to keep your Backflow.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

I just assumed that you regenerate backflow when you rest or when you do a one-minute ritual, and you can just not do that if you can to keep your Backflow.
    Ah allright, thought it was the regenerate/round. Which would be quite a bit better to be honest, I'll explain:

Encounter 1: Spend 60/100 Flow, 1 minute rest gain 30 flow.
    Encounter 2: Spend 60/70 Flow, 1 minute rest gain 30 flow.
    Encounter 3: Spend 40/40 Flow, 1 minute rest gain 20 flow.
    Encounter 4: Spend 20/20 Flow, 1 minute rest gain 10 flow.
    Encounter 5: Spend 10/10 Flow, 1 minute rest gain 5 flow.
    (Numbers should be assumed to be higher)
    This is assuming you only use prime powers, and no more then 60% of your total. This would give the raw equivelant to 215 power points. A level 9 channel power would cost 18 power, as such you could only use it a maximum of five times before you need to rest 1 minute if you blow everything. Hmmm, I'd like to see some example powers of how you envision it, because this might actualy work. Though instead of needing one minute for everything, how about Channeler level + Primary stat mod/round?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm...Maybe you can make a DC X(20?) Concentration check to regain your Channeler level+Primary stat mod Backflow in a round as a move action, and out-of-combat you can Full Recover, bringing in as much or as little Backflow as you want...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm...Maybe you can make a DC X(20?) Concentration check to regain your Channeler level+Primary stat mod Backflow in a round as a move action, and out-of-combat you can Full Recover, bringing in as much or as little Backflow as you want...
    That would make sense, yes.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, then. Do we have any more mechanics to smooth out or should we start looking at Power lists?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, then. Do we have any more mechanics to smooth out or should we start looking at Power lists?
    I think you can start working on the power list now and see what happens from there. I have a few night shifts and an upcoming game ahead of me so I cba to think much at the time. Sorry!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I see...Oh well, don't worry about it much.

Besides, you're 6 hours ahead of me, so we should still be able to continue this even if it doesn't go that fast...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Blast, Basic[Offensive]
    Level: 1
    Energy Point Cost: 2/3/4
    Target: One creature or object
    Range: Close (25 ft+ 5 ft/2 levels)
    Effect: One missile of energy
    Duration: Instantaneous

You gather the energy within you, letting it flow into a bolt of power, and you send it flying, powering through the target with a flash of light.

You must hit the target with a ranged touch attack, if you hit they take 1d6 points of Energy damage. If you wish, you can specify a specific damage type to deal, such as acid or cold.

Charging: For each additional point you spend on Basic Blast, it deals 1d6 more damage.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-06-07 at 10:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Blast, Basic[Offensive]
    Target: One creature or object
    Range: Close (25 ft+ 5 ft/2 levels)
    Effect: One missile of energy
    Duration: Instantaneous

You gather the energy within you, letting it flow into a bolt of power, and you send it flying, powering through the target with a flash of light.

You must hit the target with a ranged touch attack, if you hit they take 1d6 points of Energy damage.

Charging: For each additional 2 points you spend on Basic Blast, it deals 1d6 more damage. For 3 energy points you can make it deal a specific energy type of damage(such as cold, or acid).
    Charging should cost 1 point per die, energy type should be incorporated in the power itself(Specific or choice). Think about it; what makes this ability work? It deals damage! If you can't use it effectively to deal damage it's not worth using, it costs to much.
    Last edited by Ferrin; 2010-06-07 at 09:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I wasn't sure about the amount per die...

Ok, then, what other Powers to make...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, I wasn't sure about the amount per die...

Ok, then, what other Powers to make...
    Start with the basics, something that defines the entire stream while not giving to much versatility.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Shield, Basic[Defensive]
    Target: One willing creature
    Range: Touch
    Effect: Second "skin" of energy
    Duration: 1 minute per Channeler Level

As you concentrate, you bring your energy to the surface of your being, coating yourself in an invisible layer of energy which can deflect attacks.

You create an "Energy Skin" which gives several benefits. You gain a +2 Energy bonus to AC, and DR 1/-.

Charging: For each additional point you spend, the AC bonus increases by 1, to a maximum of [Channeler level+2]. For every two points you pay for this Power, the DR increases by 1.

Body Control[Physical]
    Target: You
    Range: Personal
    Effect: See description
    Duration: 1 round per Channeler Level

You pull your energy into your muscles and tendons, strengthening your body.

This Power gives you a +2 Insight bonus to either Strength, Dexterity or Constitution.

Charging: For each additional 2 points you spend on this Power, the bonus increases by +2, to a maximum of +8(?). For X additional Energy Points, you can increase the duration for X rounds, to a maximum of 2xChanneler level total rounds of duration.

Mind Alteration[Mental]
    Target: You
    Range: Personal
    Effect: See description
    Duration: 1 round per Channeler level

You send waves of energy deep into your body, and you strengthen your personality and clear your senses with a rush of power.

You gain a +2 Insight bonus to either Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma.

Charging: For each additional 2 points you spend on this Power, the bonus increases by +2, to a maximum of +8(?). In addition, you may pay one extra Energy Point to increase the duration by one round, up to a maximum of Channeler levelx2 total rounds.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-06-08 at 06:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Basics are up. Do they look good? I wanted to limit them, but I wasn't sure to what degree to do so.

Anyways, I think that Energy abilities and the like should give Energy bonuses or penalties, sound good?