New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default (IC) Murder of Crows

The city of Whiteshore. It was named after the long white sandy beach it was built next to. It started as a small hamlet, but the large traffic it enjoyed demanded an expansion. Better roads, better ports, better trade, better everything. Some of the oldies still remember the days when they were young and used to pass their warm afternoons at the beach, chasing crabs and riding seals. They sometimes curse the day when the leader, what's his name? getting a bunch of stupid meddling wizards to redecorate. Now, instead of a beautiful shore, their border with the sea was made out of a long chain of ugly, smelly, good-for-nothing harbors. Shipyards, taverns, markets, what a waste.

No one cares what the oldies think.

A little of everything, something for everyone. That's what they say. They're right. Mostly. Whiteshore is pretty safe, but it's not crime free. And if someone wants you bad enough, well, tough for you.

You were contacted about a gig, a nice paying one hopefully. One of many, if you will do it well. The messenger that contacted you told you only the basic stuff, what you already knew yourself. Suddenly, bodies of dead crows started to show up. People said they were beheaded, featherless, legless, whatever. Everybody reported something else. When one of the city guards came to examine the evidence, it was gone. The reports came at different times of the day and the crows were left at varying points at the city for a random time, but never to be spotted by the guards.

You were directed towards a two floors house in one of the less fortunate neighborhoods. Inside, in an almost completely bare room, sits a small halfling, wearing a brown cape, a brown cap on his head, smoking from a brown pipe, and wearing a brown-tinted monocle.

He spins on his stool a couple of times and slides off, a bit dizzy, and turns to you lastly. "Hey, you must be the goons that-" he doesn't get to finish his sentence as he scurries off from something behind you.

As you turn, you see a large half-orc coming down the stairs from the second floor. The links of his chain shirt are apparent under his blue long sleeved shirt, featuring a silver hawk on it's front. A hood made of chains covers most of his scalp, creating a glaring contrast with his dark-greenish face. His body is slim, compared to other half-orcs you know, but he is still muscular looking, and his hand is calmly resting on the hilt of his longsword, as he looks at the halfling coldly.

"Excuse Rodvik" Says the half-orc "He likes fooling around whenever he finishes his current duties. I'm Rodrik. Our mother didn't care much of names, so she just named us similarly..." He looks around the bare room "This is just a hideout that was used by Black Fang, we are trying to find anything that might lead us to his current wereabouts, or at least reveal his current plan." he turns back to you, noticing your puzzled expression. "Oh, yes, me and Rodvik are brothers. Twins, actually. He just had an unfortunate encounter with a short-tempered sorcerer some time ago. Got cursed. Now he's a damn halfling and he is mentally damaged but... Well, some around joke that it's because he's a halfling."

After a short awkward pause, he sighs "Anyway. We made a list of names and locations for you, people that might know something... We can't really do it ourselves because... Well, they know us and don't want to speak. Afraid. We also don't want to make it too obvious, if whatever does it will know we are investigating, it will go in hiding and we will never catch it." Rodrik pulls an envelope and a small pouch "We'll give you some silver, and a bit of gold, to cover any expenses during your investigation. You will have to pay for your own stay at nights tho, and keep your encounters with the guard to a minimum if you want to minimize the risk of being detected. There is a badge inside" he pokes the envelope "so the guards will know you are with us. Just in case... Any questions?" he asks as he reaches out the envelope and pouch.
    Last edited by Sliver; 2010-05-29 at 02:28 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: (IC) Murder of Crows

Aicanique Nárcala
    "Uh, yeah, I have a question: Who's Black Fang? And you two are with the guard? Sorry, the directions I got were pretty vague about this whole thing."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm with the guard. Rodvik, not so much. I just watch him so he won't get into trouble. He is harmless, and isn't much of a bother as long as he is occupied." Rodrik says, his voice sad as he speaks of it "Black Fang is a troll, but much more cunning than normal trolls. He's bad news, but he has nothing to do with this case, of that I'm sure. Don't bother with him, and try to not get in his way if you can." Rodrik finishes.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
    Daeric speaks up, "You said something about silver?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Rodrik shakes the outreached pouch, the sound of the metallic coins, clashing as they hit each other, rings through the house.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Osidi Copperscale
    Osidi stands apart from the others, clutching the bandage on the side of his head with one hand and his shoulder with the other.

"Black Fang? Troll? Not sure why Troll would do this, no no." Osidi scratches his forehead, "Why find Black Fang? He know something about the crows?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure he knows nothing. It's a different case, and not one you should care about. Leave that to us."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Aicanique Nárcala
    "I must say, you've confused me too. If he's not connected to this case, why should we find his whereabouts or current plans?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"What? I didn't tell you to do that. It's a totally different case that I mentioned off-handedly, that we, the guard, are handling. Not you. The only people that we know that might be relevant to the case are written here" he waves the envelope he is still holding in front of you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around the room Shageki is glad to see some familiar faces. It's always been a pleasure to work with Daeric, and that girl he racognizes from Jewels Peaks caught his interest with her unusual nature.
    "I see we meet again... Aicanique was it? As for the case at hand, I would be interested in looking at that list. I've been interested in this case since hearing of it, and this seems as good a place to start as any."
    With that Shageki reaches forward to take the envelope.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-09-06 at 04:23 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Aicanique Nárcala
    At the guards:
    "Oh, OK. It definitely sounded like we were investigating this Black Fang character. I get it now." Unbidden, she can't help but think of all the stereotypes about Half-Orcs and their weakness with words; she tries very hard to ignore these thoughts, trying to be 'better than that'.

At Shageki:
    "Hey Shageki; nice to see you again. I followed that Necromancer you told me about, but the Guards had already gotten to him before I found him. You remember Emily?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Rodrik hands the envelope and the pouch. "Anything else?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Aicanique Nárcala
    "Well, we haven't had a chance to read what's in the envelope yet... You'd probably know better than us, do you know anything that's not in there?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Anything we know about the people is there. Can't really add anything about that."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll try looking into the information on this list. I should be able to find something out soon, given my profession."
    Having said such, Shageki turns back to Aicanique and Emily.
    "Ah yes, I do recall meeting her briefly. Emily, I seem to remember you using some kind of sign language. I would be interested in learning it if you could find the time to teach me. You never know when it could be useful to know how to communicate without making any sound. That said, it might be useful to learn where everyone here is staying. It seems pertinent to be able to reach each other as needed."

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Osidi Copperscale
    Osids shifts uncomfortably from side to side, "You going to check on us? Watch us?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"You are expected to inform us of any progress you will make. How can we know when to send the militia with you when you finally figure it out? if worse comes to worst, anyway." Rodrik turns back to see the halfling running around with an old looking chamber pot on it's head. He frowns "Oh Rodvik! Put that down!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Emily Crest and Nightwing
    Emily nodded, forming several signs. The raven perched on her shoulder translated.
    "That makes sense to us." he said. "We'd be perfectly willing to teach you as soon as we get a free moment."
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #19

Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
    Daeric looks nervous when Rodrik mentions the militia.
    "Call in the militia? Wait a second. Why would you need the militia involved, if these are the actions of a small group? And even if we did contrive a means of contacting you, how soon could you arrive?
    How dangerous do you think these bird-killers are?"

Sense Motive (1d20+3)[12]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Osidi Copperscale
    Osidi turns and stares directly at Daeric, "Bird killers not as methodic. Wouldn't leave piles, just randomly kill birds but not pile them together. Probably wouldn't do so much with bodies." The Kobold chews at the tip of one of his claws and looks down at the ground, "Not normal. More than just large collection of bird haters. Has to be. Not normal."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Emily and Nightwing
    "Maybe the birds aren't the targets." said Nightwing, translating for a furiously signing Emily. "Maybe it's a side effect. Magic of some kind? Ritual, maybe?"
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Aicanique Nárcala
    "That was my thought; crows are birds of death, carrion eaters. Often associated with Necromancy. As are corpses, and especially the removal of the feathers speaks of preparations for animation. And desecrating even the bodies of small birds is heinous, and speaks of darker evil besides."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking a trifle upset at hearing crows described in such a manner, Shageki ruffles his feathers and interjects.
    "I take offence at that description."
    Having said as much, he calms down at once however, making it hard to tell if he was honestly upset.
    "Still, there is merit in what she says. I could easily see one using crows for some dark art."

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-05-29 at 09:13 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Aicanique Nárcala
    "I would think you are rather different from a crow... but then, I also think you misunderstand me if you think I mean anything ill of the birds. I consider them very important."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Osidi Copperscale
    "Not 'ritual'. Probably not, probably not. Could be a distraction, fool us, slip by while we follow bait." Osidi shrugs and glances around the room, "Guessing. All guessing. Should get to work."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Aicanique Nárcala
    "Well, anyway, what do the notes have to say?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"While it is true I am different then my lesser brethren, I am still in part crow. As for what the notes say, let us have a look."
    So saying Shageki opens the envelope and takes the note out for everyone to see.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Look" Rodrik says, looking at Daeric "We don't know who they are, or why they're doing it. Our best guess is that it is some kind of a cult. Sometimes we had simultaneous reports from across the city. I'm just making sure you know we back you up in case it's bigger than it seems."

The list:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Walsham Taillour, son of the seamstress working for Lord Edwin.
    • Caryl, currently housed at The Drunken Light, an orphanage.
    • Elrad Savant, a servant at The Lost Habitat, a boarding house.
    • Ray Lathe, an apprentice at The Slice, a butchery.
    • Musty Moe, a beggar. Frequents the docks.
    • Theda Gamman, wife of The Reeking Cot's innkeeper.
    • Neva Barley, owner of The Naked Deal trade... House.

Assume you can find the named places without trouble.

29. - Top - End - #29

Daeric 'Derry' Skaed
    Daeric nods, and offers his response.
    "I see. I think I might have a way of getting the attention of the militia. Please, allow me to demonstrate." Daeric does a series of motions with his hands and utters a few words, and then puts out his palm.
    Floating above it is a flashing luminescent arrow, with the words 'COME HERE' written on its surface. He speaks as the arrow rotates in his palm, "I can make one of these, except fifty feet tall and thirty feet across at the base. If we are in mortal danger..." he concentrates, and the color of the arrow shifts, ".. the arrow will be bright red. If the situation is under control, it will be blue."
    He dismisses the spell before turning to the others.
    "I don't know that this trick will work for all of us, however. Given the number of leads we've been given to investigate and the nature of the crime, some of these people may be coordinating. If they become aware of us, and see us moving as a group, they'll certainly take steps to interfere with our investigation and obscure evidence... or worse.
    Therefore, I suggest we split our group into three discrete pairs so as not to raise awareness.
    Here are my suggested pairings:
    Shageki and Osidi - not to be of offense, but your appearances will draw attention to you wherever you go. Being meat-lovers, perhaps Ray Lathe the Butcher would be a good bet?
    As for the rest, pairing off the men with the women sounds like a good idea. People will ask fewer questions that way.
    For myself, I favor dealing with Neva Barley of the Naked Deal Trade House."

He finishes his monologue, "How does that sound to you all?"
    Last edited by Chrono22; 2010-05-30 at 02:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"The plan makes sense, Though I might try getting some other information about the suspects. Also while I may stand out, I'm not completely incapable of subtlety. Such a thing could mean death in my profession."
    Turning to the others, Shageki simply asks,
    "So then who will the other partners be and where will they go? Also how shall we meet afterword to discuss our findings?"

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew