New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Question about entangling (3.5 D&D)

Well, I was wondering something. I seem to recall reading that if you use something to entangle a flying creature that they can no longer fly. However,I believe this only applies to creatures with wings or some other form of entanglable (Yeah I know it isn't a word.) limb.

Does this rule actually exist or did I make this up?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-05-31 at 01:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Question about entangling (3.5 D&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Well, I was wondering something. I seem to recall reading that if you use something to entangle a flying creature that they can no longer fly. However,I believe this only applies to creatures with wings or some other form of entanglable (Yeah I know it isn't a word.) limb.

Does this rule actually exist or did I make this up?
    If you didn't make it up, it's certainly not under the DMG description of "Entangled." Of course, creatures with lower maneuverability need to travel a certain distance each round in order to not fall, and entangling might make that tricky, but it doesn't inherently ground flying things.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

if the rule doesn't exist it makes a perfectly justified housrule. I always assumed entanglement cut off flight, as well
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I was asking because I planned on using entangling exhalation to get things to just drop out of the sky.

Also, can somebody point out where the rules for how fast you fall in a round are?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I was asking because I planned on using entangling exhalation to get things to just drop out of the sky.

Also, can somebody point out where the rules for how fast you fall in a round are?
    SRD:
    If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    SRD:
    If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.
    Ah. Thanks. I think I can use this. I just need to find some way to reduce their speed by another foot.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. Thanks. I think I can use this. I just need to find some way to reduce their speed by another foot.
    If you're level 5 or better, Slow Breath. Assuming you're a DFA and not just some kind of Dragonborn or something.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    If you're level 5 or better, Slow Breath. Assuming you're a DFA and not just some kind of Dragonborn or something.
    DFA? dragonfire adept?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The actual rule is in the PHB under the description of the effects of a Tanglefoot Bag.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    The actual rule is in the PHB under the description of the effects of a Tanglefoot Bag.
    Though, as tanglefoot bag has a provision for entirely halting movement (while normal entanglement does not), the applicability of this as a general rule is questionable at best.