New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Negative Energy Damage Spell, Non-Cleric?

Neverwinter Nights has the Negative Energy Ray/Burst/Whatever line of spells for Sorcerers and Wizards to throw around negative energy damage. As far as I can tell, there are no real equivalent in PnP D&D other than Enervation and such, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Seeing as I'm in the middle of crafting an undead Sorcerer, it would be nice to have a source of negative energy to heal with in an emergency. Are there any spells/metamagic tricks that would let a sorcerer have access to damaging negative energy spells?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Negative Energy Damage Spell, Non-Cleric?

Lord of the Uttercold comes to mind, since it makes cold spells half negative energy. If you're immune to cold, it's a good solution.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Negative Energy Ray, from Tome and Blood page 93, is a first-level spell that gives you 1d6 + 1d6/ 2 levels, maximum 5d6. You could also use Necrotic Skull Bomb or Enervation, though that would be less cost-efficient.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2010-05-31 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Negative Energy Ray, from Tome and Blood page 93, is a first-level spell that gives you 1d6 + 1d6/ 2 levels, maximum 5d6. You could also use Necrotic Skull Bomb or Enervation, though that would be less cost-efficient.
    Direct hit!

That's all I need. Case closed.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There were a few more in tome & blood along those lines, I think, but I'm not 100% sure they were ever reprinted in 3.5

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    There were a few more in tome & blood along those lines, I think, but I'm not 100% sure they were ever reprinted in 3.5
    Hmmm, that's a fair point. I'm not sure they ever expressly banned them from being used in 3.5, though.

What's the rules for "grandfathering" again?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If it wasn't reprinted, it's technically fair game. Ask your DM if that's alright however.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Lord of the Uttercold comes to mind, since it makes cold spells half negative energy. If you're immune to cold, it's a good solution.
    Hmm, play Pathfinder (where 0 level spells are unlimited) or game houseruled thusly, play an undead, such as a Vampire or Necropolitan, and just keep casting Ray of Frost on yourself out of combat.
    Unlimited healing for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding