New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: ToB Question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default ToB Question

I was wondering, each of the 9 disciplines has associated weapons, but I cannot for the life of me find if those weapons are needed, or just fluff

anyone know?

I have a feeling they are just fluff, but I could be very very wrong
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: ToB Question

Neither.

They matter mechanically -- but not for executing maneuvers normally.

They only matter when the rules say they do, such as:
    • the Blade Meditation feat
    • the Shadow Blade feat
    • the Swordsage's Level 1 Weapon Focus feature.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Fluff, though a free weaponfocus makes it crunch I guess.
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As a DM, I view them as fluff, and thus characters with good points can convince me that that this weapon they're wielding counts as another discipline's favored weapon. Which isn't hard, considering how utterly arbitrary most of them are (iirc, Tiger Claw, Shadow Hand, and Setting Sun have some rhyme and reason behind them as a whole).

But RAW, yes, it's not fluff but mechanics that occasionally comes into play. It's explicit about when it matters, though (the things already mentioned, also some of the PrC's demand you use certain weapons).
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

This thing always stroke me out curiosity.

Did they planned to assign more mechanical relevance to school weapons, but retired some rule from the book some time before the book was sent to printing?
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    This thing always stroke me out curiosity.

Did they planned to assign more mechanical relevance to school weapons, but retired some rule from the book some time before the book was sent to printing?
    Nah. I'd say they have as much mechanical relevance as they should - enough so that everything is not the same, but not so much that it gets crazy.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK, that makes alot of sense

i forgot about the feats, but i had a feeling it was mainly fluff

thank you
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I can't recall, but I believe there are some manuevers that need you to use school weapons to initiate... ?
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Vec View Post
    I can't recall, but I believe there are some manuevers that need you to use school weapons to initiate... ?
    I thought this as well, but a quick search hasn't shown any that do. That is unless you count the ground as a favored weapon for Stone Dragon. The fact that Warblades can choose Blade Meditation as a bonus feat makes it worth their time to put some minimal effort toward using a weapon associated with the school they tend to focus on.
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-06-01 at 03:44 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    I thought this as well, but a quick search hasn't shown any that do. That is unless you count the ground as a favored weapon for Stone Dragon.
    Actually, ground is a requirement for stone dragon. As a favored weapon, is a better one for Setting Sun I guess.

@ Astralfire: I think that the rules about discipline weapons are fine as they are, mechanically wise.

Nevertheless, it always seemed to me something left in the middle... I can see little mechanical impact, bu for some school there is almost none.
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2010-06-01 at 03:47 PM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Actually, ground is a requirement for stone dragon. As a favored weapon, is a better one for Setting Sun I guess.

@ Astralfire: I think that the rules about discipline weapons are fine as they are, mechanically wise.

Nevertheless, it always seemed to me something left in the middle... I can see little mechanical impact, bu for some school there is almost none.
    I responding to Il Vec's mention that he thought there were some maneuvers that need the character to be using the favored weapon.

But I see what you did with Setting Sun.

There's definitely no problem with the way they work mechanically as-is, but given the emphasis that some sections of the book place on the favored weapons of each discipline, I have to agree with Kai that it feels as if something is left out.

The solution, I think, would be to make NPC adepts focus on specific schools and tout the needs/advantages of using specific weapons while somehow implying that to not use the appropriate weapon is some sort of affront to the Sublime Way -- that is, more fluff. Blade Meditation seems to fill the mechanical gap fine.
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-06-01 at 03:53 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.