New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default LA of a Worm that Walks <3.5>

What is it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LA of a Worm that Walks <3.5>

LA: -

You're not supposed to want to be an evil monster.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    LA: -

You're not supposed to want to be an evil monster.
    what about in an evil campaign?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...mThatWalks.htm

Look at 'Worm That Walks Characters'. You must merely follow the instructions to perform the ritual.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by SilveryCord View Post
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...mThatWalks.htm

Look at 'Worm That Walks Characters'. You must merely follow the instructions to perform the ritual.
    in other words "LA 0?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavellian View Post
    in other words "LA 0?"
    Adding the Worm that Walks template either costs 2000 XP and 10,000 GP, or the cost of developing and casting the epic spell Gathering of Maggots. It just doesn't have a level adjustment.

Edit: It certainly isn't "LA +0", is what I'm trying to say. It just has an unavailable level adjustment, because you don't add it in the place of character levels.
    Last edited by SilveryCord; 2010-06-01 at 02:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

in other words "LA 0?"
    God, no. You'll have to come up with one yourself. It doesn't have a listed LA because it was considered too irregular/powerful for a PC.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The actual Epic Level Handbook lists the LA for the Worm that Walks, but for some reason that information is not present in the SRD. Either errata removed it or it's a simple error.

By the way, the LA should be +0 to +3. My copy of the ELH is slightly damaged, so I can only make out the first of the two digits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

9. - Top - End - #9

So for an Evil PC, WtW isn't a good option

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    The actual Epic Level Handbook lists the LA for the Worm that Walks, but for some reason that information is not present in the SRD. Either errata removed it or it's a simple error.

By the way, the LA should be +0 to +3. My copy of the ELH is slightly damaged, so I can only make out the first of the two digits.
    Uh... no it doesn't. There is a Challenge Rating increase of +3, but no mention of Level Adjustment in the hardcopy of the ELH I'm looking at.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, it's effectively LA+0, but that doesn't mean the template's free. It works kind of like necropolitan, except much more expensive.

As said above, you either need to have epic spellcasting or spend 2000XP, 10000 GP, be able to cast 8th level spells (for PaO), have heighten spell, and even then have a pretty good chance to die, lose more money and/or XP on your resurrection, and have to do it all over again.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-06-01 at 02:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

"Challenge Rating: Same as the character +3."

Keep in mind that ELH is 3.0. I haven't read the errata.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Checked the Errata for Worm That Walks, it has no listed LA. This does not mean it is LA +0, it means it's LA -, and thus unsuitable for player use.

If you'd like to play one, it's called "Ask your DM". Personally, I think that +3 or so is warranted, but that's just a personal opinion, not fact.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

So for an Evil PC, WtW isn't a good option
    Worm that Walks just doesn't add very much stuff that a spellcaster would want to do that they can't already do with spells, and adding it to a nonspellcaster requires some help from an epic spellcaster willing to spend a lot of money.

As for other templates in general, LA is a pain. It gimps your saves, your HD, your BAB, and if you're spellcasting, your spellcasting, in general for very poor returns.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The example on the SRD gives a CR 26 to a Worm that Walks with 23 levels of wizard, but I am thinking a LA of +3 might be too low. Of course a lot of its features, like SR, is based on its CR and that should be class levels +3. So try that for starters.

What a gross character that will be!!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

In Elder Evils there's also a "Lesser Worm That Walks" that might be usable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

It appears to have the same +3 CR adjustment- and the template itself looks like the Epic Handbook version. (Note that the book doesn't have a stand-alone template- only a character with the template applied- Edwin Tolstoff).

As a Wiz3/Cler3/True Necromancer 10, he may be too weak to have cast the ritual- he probably falls into the "spontaneously risen" category.

I think it's only "lesser" by comparison to "The Worm That Walks"- the Elder Evils version of Kyuss.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-06-01 at 02:37 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It appears to have the same +3 CR adjustment- and the template itself looks like the Epic Handbook version. (Note that the book doesn't have a stand-alone template- only a character with the template applied- Edwin Tolstoff).

As a Wiz3/Cler3/True Necromancer 10, he may be too weak to have cast the ritual- he probably falls into the "spontaneously risen" category.

I think it's only "lesser" by comparison to "The Worm That Walks"- the Elder Evils version of Kyuss.
    right. I was gonna do a Wizard/Ur Priest/MT/TN who worships Kyuss