New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default 3.5 Wizard Spell

I am playing a wizard and looking for a 3rd lvl damage spell with a range of melee touch. Is there a touch spell already in one of the books that does 10D6?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Wizard Spell

Vampiric touch off the top of my head.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides Vampiric Touch, there's Combust in SpC which does 10d8 as a 2nd level spell.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    Vampiric touch off the top of my head.
    vampiric touch does 5D6 max even though you get that much as temp HP. I'm just looking for 1D6/lvl touch range 3rd lvl (max 10D6).

edit* vamp does 1D6/2 LVL... still not what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by Gnosko; 2010-06-01 at 04:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosko View Post
    I am playing a wizard and looking for a 3rd lvl damage spell with a range of melee touch. Is there a touch spell already in one of the books that does 10D6?
    Combust is a 2nd lv touch spell that does 1d8/lv (10d8 max) and no save. Can make target catch fire.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

There's also Belker Claws (SpC, 2nd level) which deals a total of 10d12 but over multiple rounds.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

vampiric touch does 5D6 max even though you get that much as temp HP. I'm just looking for 1D6/lvl touch range 3rd lvl (max 10D6).
    Well vampiric touch from my phb says the following.

Quote Originally Posted by phb
    Vampiric Touch
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Living creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous/1 hour;
    see text
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    You must succeed on a melee touch attack. Your touch deals 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 10d6). You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal. However, you can’t gain more than the subject’s current hit points +10, which is enough to kill the subject. The temporary hit points disappear 1 hour later.

EThough I do see by your additional restrictions that were not listed in the opening post vampiric touch is not what you were looking for.
    Last edited by olentu; 2010-06-01 at 05:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

It would be easier to help with some more information. For what purpose do you want this spell? At what level do you want it to do 10d6 damage?
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

10th, evidently.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    10th, evidently.
    I'd guess 5th level, since Vampiric Touch won't do what he wants yet and he's choosing a 3rd level spell.

Maybe.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    It would be easier to help with some more information. For what purpose do you want this spell? At what level do you want it to do 10d6 damage?
    1D6/lvl to a max of 10D6 at 10th level. I would prefer if it was shock damage but any type would do except sonic. I was thinking of homebrewing an "improved shocking grasp" with the only diffrence being max damage but I wanted to see if there was already something simular in print beforehand. It wouldn't seem overpowered at third level considering that's when you get fireball and lightning bolt especially since they are AoE instead of touch.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

1D6/lvl to a max of 10D6 at 10th level. I would prefer if it was shock damage but any type would do except sonic. I was thinking of homebrewing an "improved shocking grasp" with the only diffrence being max damage but I wanted to see if there was already something simular in print beforehand. It wouldn't seem overpowered at third level considering that's when you get fireball and lightning bolt especially since they are AoE instead of touch.
    As already mentioned, just look at Combust (SpC). It deals 1d8 damage per level up to 10d8 at 10th level, plus an extra chance of setting them on fire, and is only a 2nd level spell. An electric version of that is perfectly fine, and you can just get rid of the chance to catch fire as a nerf since electricity is mildly better than fire anyway.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fireball has the trouble of aim as well as the downside of allowing the opponent a saving throw, so I'm not sure it's a good baseline. That having been said, I don't think what you're suggesting is unbalancing.

Necrotic Bloat from Libris Mortis deals 1d6 per caster level to a subject already afflicted with a Necrotic Cyst. Not really adaptable to your purposes, but it's the first 1d6/level spell I've come across.

The Orb of X spells listed in the Spell Compendium (and Complete Arcane, iirc) are ranged touch spells that deal 1d6/level, but they are level 4.

Combust. The damage allows no save. Bravo, PId6.

If you don't want to homebrew, Energy Substitution can be a handy feat to have. Though a failed save for an Electric-Substituted Combust spell would still light the target on fire.
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-06-01 at 06:05 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    I'd guess 5th level, since Vampiric Touch won't do what he wants yet and he's choosing a 3rd level spell.

Maybe.
    No, at 10th level Vampiric Touch will only do 5d6 damage. And if he was worried about 5th level, he could just use Shocking Grasp.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.