New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Breaking A Generic Spellcaster

Alright, I want to make a character of the generic class spellcaster, and I want to know - How would the playground optimize this?

I'm level 1 and would prefer to play a human, but if you envision something else being more effective, go straight ahead
    Last edited by Marriclay; 2010-06-01 at 06:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Breaking A Generic Spellcaster

Go Necropolitan Tainted Scholar. Basically, anything that is true for wizards/sorcerers goes for the generic spellcaster too...

Though, he can take certain class features as feats, but I'm not sure how to optimize that. I thought of Magelord, but it specifically says "Evasion as a class feature", not a feat. And it's not really broken anyway.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The same way you break any full caster. Wizard is a sucky class, really, go look at the class abilities, they get precisely two that matter, spellcasting and familiar and the pet's an ocassionally useful liability in most builds. Pick the right spells and you're godlike, pick turkeys and you're a paperweight for the team.

Go find a Sorc guide (I recoment Solo's), add to that any paticularly cool divine spells you find flavourful... it's the spell picks that matter not the features.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

^what they said. Basically, you do it like you're playing a Sorcerer, only you also have the ability to cherrypick select awesome Divine spells (alternately, if you like armored casting, you're a Favored Soul who has Turn Undead and the entire Sorc/Wiz list as potential spells known. Go wild.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm certain there are a number of Sorc/Wiz spells that would go great on a DMM Persist Cleric, so you can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's a caster. It's about as optimized as you can get

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Always choose the divine option so you've access to DMM: Persist and casting in armor. Your first bonus feat should be Turn Undead. You do lose a few PrC options, but DMM is worth it. Then just cherry pick the best spells off of any list. (Unfortunately, you don't have access to some of the best sorc-only spells like Arcane Fusion and Wings of Cover. Oh well; DMM makes up for that too.)
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Divine MM access + the ability to cherry-pick from more than a single spell list makes the Generic Spellcaster breakable. It's that easy.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I thought DMM would be less breakable than Metamagic Effect + all those divine spells that add large amounts to spellcraft checks. But maybe we're considering different layers of cheese here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    I thought DMM would be less breakable than Metamagic Effect + all those divine spells that add large amounts to spellcraft checks.
    Which is still less broken than Necropolitan Spellcaster/Tainted Scholar. It's all a matter of degree.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court