New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Creating Some Races

Hey guys I was just wondering if it would be okay for me as a character to come up with my own race. It would basically be a blue minus the psionic abilities and minus the level adjustment so that it would basically be a goblin with better wisdom and a couple other things (i know its stupid). so just leave your feedback, and go ahead and tell me about your made up race
    Just to clarify, I HATE my name, it just sounded cool in my head at the time okay?

You can just call me Kay or Kur. Easier than finding an umlaut code on the interwebz.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Creating Some Races

You might want to head over to the Homebrew section of this Forum, it's entirely devoted to this sort of thing. Also, you may want to specify what game you're talking about. I'm assuming you're playing DnD 3.5, but there are a lot of people with some obscure games around here, so it's hard to be sure.

But anyway, to answer your questions, yes, it's probably perfectly fine to create your own race. Just make sure it's not too overpowered, and clear it with your DM first. If you post more details, we'd probably be able to help you design your race better.

Welcome by the way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You could just ask for a Blue with the LA removed. Being psionic doesn't justify an LA.

Also I'm not entirely certain what the point of your question is? Are you asking if such a homebrew would be balanced (it is)? Are you asking if you as a player should have the right to suggest such things to your DM (you do)?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Genpol basically said it all - welcome, you probably want the Homebrew section for this, and it's okay when you have Dm's permission.

Incidentally, the Blue is very commonly agreed as being a fair LA +0 race, or at least ridiculously weak for LA +1.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    You could just ask for a Blue with the LA removed. Being psionic doesn't justify an LA.

Also I'm not entirely certain what the point of your question is? Are you asking if such a homebrew would be balanced (it is)? Are you asking if you as a player should have the right to suggest such things to your DM (you do)?
    In truth it wasn't so much as asking if it would be okay, it was asking what you guys thought of it, it seemed kinda under-powered when I got rid of the psionics to compensate for the LA
    Just to clarify, I HATE my name, it just sounded cool in my head at the time okay?

You can just call me Kay or Kur. Easier than finding an umlaut code on the interwebz.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Just nixing a Blue's LA and keeping it as-is should be fine. There are several LA 0 races that come out ahead of the Blue. (Elan, I'm looking at you guys.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    Just nixing a Blue's LA and keeping it as-is should be fine. There are several LA 0 races that come out ahead of the Blue. (Elan, I'm looking at you guys.)
    Not to mention, y'know, humans.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Compare the Blue (+1 LA) with the Half-Minotaur (Also +1 LA).

No comparison. Blue works a lot better with no LA, allowing for an extra class level of whatever suits your fancy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Goblins always seem to get the shaft as far as racial bonuses go.
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, they make pretty good Piledrivers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Well, they make pretty good Piledrivers.
    Or ammunition.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So much hate for the goblins...

Spoiler
    Show

I'm rather fond of them as a downtrodden race that's gotten the short end of the stick in the grand scheme of things and can be just as capable of being just as civilized as any of the "player races" if they were able to escape the oppression of bugbears and hobgoblins. Sorta like Rich's but short and not inherently evil.
    Last edited by WildPyre; 2010-06-02 at 03:18 AM.
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

just to parrot what some of the others have said, blues should have never NEVER had +1 LA
    Last edited by hangedman1984; 2010-06-02 at 02:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WildPyre View Post
    So much hate for the goblins...

I'm rather fond of them as a downtrodden race that's gotten the short end of the stick in the grand scheme of things and can be just as capable of being just as civilized as any of the "player races" if they were able to escape the oppression of bugbears and hobgoblins. Sorta like Rich's but short and not inherently evil.
    Eberron does this a bit- though sometimes it's escaping the oppression of the humans, rather than hobgoblins- since some goblins are an underclass in civilized society, descended from slaves that the humans brought over when they invaded.

Eberron also tends to scale back on the "inherently X alignment" for most races- creatures that used to be Always X alignment, are now more like Usually X alignment (such as chromatic dragons). And so on.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-06-02 at 02:27 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Compare the Blue (+1 LA) with the Half-Minotaur (Also +1 LA).
    Half-minotaur is a rather poor example, being ridiculously strong for it's LA.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I even had a whole backstory for him of how he was exiled from the tribe because he had deep purple eyes and no psionic powers. Which they considered an omen. Instead he was found to have powers closer to a sorcerer and maybe I would give him some cool racials

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

actually when i was first wanting to make one i was pretty sure my dm would be okay with me getting rid of the LA but i wanted to make the character at home instead of at a friends house and i do not own a psionics book :P

18. - Top - End - #18
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

SRD to the Rescue!

All you ever needed to know about psionics (and most of the other rules) but were afraid to ask.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-06-02 at 05:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

thanky glyph