New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Slade speculation. Formerly a discussion on Natural attacks.

I'm asking this for two reasons.

1. I'm playing in a game where I have a tail attack I didn't think I was going to use since a greatsword does more damage
    2. I was curious whether a Monk who got polymorphed into say, a twelve headed hydra would get both his natural attacks and his unarmed strikes.

I read that they did stack in a thread about natural attacks that was on here a day or two ago and decided I should ask.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 07:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: You get iteratives on top of natural attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I'm asking this for two reasons.

1. I'm playing in a game where I have a tail attack I didn't think I was going to use since a greatsword does more damage
    2. I was curious whether a Monk who got polymorphed into say, a twelve headed hydra would get both his natural attacks and his unarmed strikes.

I read that they did stack in a thread about natural attacks that was on here a day or two ago and decided I should ask.
    Well heres how it usually works:
    You have a Primary weapon and secondary weapons. Your Primary weapon is almost always your manufactured weapon (Such as unarmed Strikes, greatsword, etc.). Usually you have the highest attack bonus with your Primary weapon, and your secondaries are at -5. When full attacking, you make one attack for each weapon (Exception: Manufactured weapons get iterative attacks. If you have multiple, see Multiweapon fighting / Two-weapon Fighting), unless your primary weapon gets in the way (IE: You can not stab someone with a greatsword and claw their face off unless you have 4+ arms).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. So that'd be a yes to both.

I'll ask my DM for the one game if I could just use the tail for flavor reasons for now since a second attack at second level seems a little unbalanced to me.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-01 at 11:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Gralamin is correct. You use your manufactured weapons (including unarmed strike or Monk's flurry of blows) at their normal bonus (including all normal iterative attacks with that weapon), plus any natural attacks that are still eligible (usually bite, tail or gore) at a -5 (secondary) penalty. The Multiattack feat reduces the penalty for secondary natural attacks to -2 (and Improved Multiattack reduces it to 0).

The only ways to get iterative attacks with natural attacks that I am aware of are:
    1.) The Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike feats from Draconomicon.
    2.) A Druid's animal companion that only has one attack (such as a Wolf) gets one iterative attack at -5 when the druid hits 9th level.

I'll ask my DM for the one game if I could just use the tail for flavor reasons for now since a second attack at second level seems a little unbalanced to me.
    That's up to you, of course, but I wouldn't call a 2nd attack at -5 penalty (and only 1/2 STR bonus to damage) unbalanced at 2nd level. A character with Two Weapon Fighting or Rapidshot can do much the same, if not better.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    That's up to you, of course, but I wouldn't call a 2nd attack at -5 penalty (and only 1/2 STR bonus to damage) unbalanced at 2nd level. A character with Two Weapon Fighting or Rapidshot can do much the same, if not better.
    Well, I only took the feat for flavor reasons and the flaw I took was pretty insignificant. Especially since I'll become immune to the drawbacks eventually.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

For instance, a 2nd level human Human Barbarian (Whirling Frenzy variant) with the feats Bind Vestige and Practiced Binder could wield a greataxe two handed and bind the vestige Amon. When whirling he can attack twice with his greataxe and once with his ram attack. Assuming an 18 STR (pre-rage), his attacks would be +8/+6 with the greataxe (1d12+9) and +3 with the ram attack (1d6+9). I'm sure someone could cheese this out much better than I can, anyway...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah. So that'd be a yes to both.

At a -5 penalty and as part of your racial features... no, no it's not unless that tail attack and/or racial package is good enough that you should've gotten LA.

A feat is a feat and if you only took it for flavor, it's not a feat, it's a bit of roleplaying fluff.

So, thusly, there must be some mechanical effect.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-06-02 at 12:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I messaged the DM and said he can get rid of it if he thinks it isn't reasonable at this level or if he does think it's reasonable he can ignore the message. I don't care either way but I figured he should know just in case.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

I messaged the DM and said he can get rid of it if he thinks it isn't reasonable at this level or if he does think it's reasonable he can ignore the message. I don't care either way but I figured he should know just in case.
    Well, here's hoping you don't lose your sense of balance.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    At a -5 penalty and as part of your racial features... no, no it's not unless that tail attack and/or racial package is good enough that you should've gotten LA.

A feat is a feat and if you only took it for flavor, it's not a feat, it's a bit of roleplaying fluff.

So, thusly, there must be some mechanical effect.
    Maybe I've been playing in a group that probably would care far too long.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 12:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Maybe I've been playing in a group that probably would care far too long.
    They would care if you picked an okish feat and used it? A natural attack of 1d3 or 4 plus half strength averages like three extra damage if it hits, which it probably won't due to the -5 to hit it has. Thats a way worse return than something like Power attack and it doesn't scale when you level. And you can only use it on a full attack.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zore View Post
    They would care if you picked an okish feat and used it? A natural attack of 1d3 or 4 plus half strength averages like three extra damage if it hits, which it probably won't due to the -5 to hit it has. That's a way worse return than something like Power attack and it doesn't scale when you level. And you can only use it on a full attack.
    It does 1d8 but yeah, they probably would. At least one player and the DM hardly have the best concept of power. And on that game I already do have power attack. I'm probably not getting as much out of that as I could though.

To be clear, the DM thinks Monks are overpowered and wizards are underpowered. I don't know why and don't care why. I'm not going to change his mind without playing a wizard or shoving the evidence in his face at which point he'd just think "Why do you care so much?"
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 12:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

A level 1 Wizard, assuming multiple encounters in a single day, is less powerful than a level 1 Monk.

This continues up to approximately level 5.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Well, in the campaign I'm talking about the Monk is about to be level 10. We don't have a wizard although I plan on playing one if my current character dies*. I have enough self control to not pick the more broken spells if I don't use all my spells known. I'll also have the other two players character sheets so I know what optimization level to use.

*I want to play Raven from Teen titans and an illusionist wizard seems to fit her perfectly. At least as far as I can tell. And I need to be going to bed now.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 12:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Raven? An illusionist?

She uses telekinesis as her primary mode of attack!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Raven? An illusionist?

She uses telekinesis as her primary mode of attack!
    Well, there's this one spell that seems to work almost all of her attacks. The others would probably be grasping tentacles, contingencied shield or wall of force, some form of banishment and she uses gate once. I also heard about her using time stop but don't recall that episode. If Psions can do all that I'll use one instead.

So, maybe not illusionist but I still think wizard or sorceror.

couldn't get to sleep and I'm not really tired.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 01:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I also heard about her using time stop but don't recall that episode.
    It was the one where Slade decided he was just too awesome to keep being dead, and stopped.

couldn't get to sleep and I'm not really tired.
    I am all too familiar with the feeling. Hence why I'm not asleep right now.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-06-02 at 01:20 AM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    It was the one where Slade decided he was just too awesome to keep being dead, and stopped.
    I kind of remember that episode but don't remember the time stop. Guess I should watch that again.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I kind of remember that episode but don't remember the time stop. Guess I should watch that again.
    It might be partially because Slade also decided that he was also too awesome to bother stopping when time did.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

It might be partially because Slade also decided that he was also too awesome to bother stopping when time did.
    That's probably it.

Wow he got stupidly powerful by selling his soul didn't he?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

That's probably it.

Wow he got stupidly powerful by selling his soul didn't he?
    Yes, being Satan's Trigon's undead right-hand man will do that. He eventually decided he couldn't be bothered being subservient either, so he stole his soul back and became mortal again.

Not that stopped him from being able to wipe the floor with the Titans using his bare hands.

ENBY

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, being Satan's Trigon's undead right-hand man will do that. He eventually decided he couldn't be bothered being subservient either, so he stole his soul back and became mortal again.

Not that stopped him from being able to wipe the floor with the Titans using his bare hands.
    To be fair, Trigon didn't follow through on his promise. So, he stole his soul back (and broke several others out) and started beating the crap out of Trigon with the titans.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 01:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, Trigon didn't follow through on his promise. So, he stole his soul back (and broke several others out) and started beating the crap out of him with the other titans.
    Point being; Slade is made of awesome. Trigon's boost was simply because overkill is always fun. He doesn't actually need it.

ENBY

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Point being; Slade is made of awesome. Trigon's boost was simply because overkill is always fun. He doesn't actually need it.
    To put it in D&D terms, I think a Monk (Or a fighter focusing on unarmed attacks) beats a wizard/Sorceror (Not sure which) a warlock, a Fighter/Rogue with increased unarmed damage, an artificer and a Druid* single handedly.

*beast boy might be something else. Regardless, Slade is BAD***
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 01:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Slade is not a Monk...

Slade is a Swordsage/Warblade/Artificer triple-Gestalt.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    Slade is not a Monk...

Slade is a Swordsage/Warblade/Artificer triple-Gestalt.
    Daw. That makes him less bad***. If only slightly.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

So, what class and race are you anyway? and what feat gave you a 1d8 tail?
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So, what class and race are you anyway? and what feat gave you a 1d8 tail?
    Dragonborn homebrew Paladin and the feat Dragon tail.

EDIT: It's 1d6. It'll be 1d8 when I get powerful build (using a version of Goliath for the base race that my DM modified) Unless powerful build doesn't do that and I'm unaware of it.

Going to try and go to sleep again now.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-02 at 02:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Rapidstrike does not technically grant iterative attacks. I read it as simply granting extra attacks when you make a full attack with that particular group of natural weapons.

For example, a 12-headed hydra with rapidstrike will only get 1 extra bite attack, not 12.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Where did Rapidstrike come in?

Anyway, yeah, this is not overpowered. Getting natural attacks usually comes at a high cost - feats, weak races, etc. If you have one and you're not using it, you're even worse off than if you were.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    A level 1 Wizard, assuming multiple encounters in a single day, is less powerful than a level 1 Monk.

This continues up to approximately level 5.
    This is inaccurate. It's harder but a level 1 Wizard can still do more than a level 1 Monk.
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-06-02 at 10:37 AM.