New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default 3.5 Two Weapon Fighting

Given that THF gives roughly the same reward for one feat (Power Attack) as TWF gets for three, would it be unreasonable/unballancing to remove improved and greater two weapon fighting and just say that for each iterative attack, a person with TWF gets +1 attack/round, but suffers the usual at -2 to their attacks (assuming a light off-hand weapon)?

So for the cost of one feat 20/15/10/5 turns into 18/18/13/13/8/8/3/3?

For the ranger TWF tree I'd replace the upper feats with two-weapon-defense (homebrewed to allow penalties for fighting defensively to apply to attacks with the off-hand only) and perhaps a ranger specific ability to remove the -2 to attacks with primary weapon.
    Trust me. I'm a geologist.

My/Friends' Homebrew.

Home on the Range? Bright light city gonna set your soul on fire? Or were you born to be wild? Americana-Punk wants YOU to contribute your homebrew!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Two Weapon Fighting

This is a common houserule. Some go even as far as having all of the TWF and TWD feats combined into one.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    This is a common houserule. Some go even as far as having all of the TWF and TWD feats combined into one.
    Basically, this. I know that the 3.5 fix over at Brilliant Gameologists did this, and I also think that some of the local rewrites on GITP do the same.

EDIT: To actually answer the question, no, it's not too strong.
    Last edited by Thrice Dead Cat; 2010-06-02 at 02:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    This is what our table has done. Hardly overpowered.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you're really worried, take it down to three feats: all of TWF scales with BAB, TWD scales with BAB, and a feat to allow both attacks on a charge, standard action, and AoO's.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

... and then have the Ranger Two-Weapon Combat Style grant those feats, if you want to keep that Combat Style as alternative to Archery for Rangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    If you're really worried, take it down to three feats: all of TWF scales with BAB, TWD scales with BAB, and a feat to allow both attacks on a charge, standard action, and AoO's.
    Best solution IMO.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.