New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Ways to abust the chameleon bonus feat

If you take obtain familiar(assuming you have the cl) one day and bind a familiar, do you retain it?

Similarly would Leadership one day result in a permanent cohort.

What of the bind vestige, shape soulmeld feats, do you retain the abilities?

Soulmelds are effectively permanent, so could that work?

Any answers would be great.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ways to abust the chameleon bonus feat

You no longer retain the benefits of a feat if you no longer retain the prerequisites of the feat (in this case that your Chameleon feat is used for it).

So you don't retain your item familiar. You keep the item, but it is no longer considered an item familiar. You still don't get your XP back.

Your cohort remains in existance, but he is no longer your cohort.

And soulmelds would wink out of existance as soon as you lose the feat, as you no longer meet the prereqs.
    Last edited by strider24seven; 2010-06-02 at 04:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matamane View Post
    If you take obtain familiar(assuming you have the cl) one day and bind a familiar, do you retain it?
    No. Lose the feat, lose the benefits.
    What of the bind vestige, shape soulmeld feats, do you retain the abilities?
    Bound vestige lasts for 24 hours, I seem to recall, so it wouldn't work. Shaped soulmelds persist until unshaped/dispelled, so that would work.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-06-02 at 04:47 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Soulmelds persist until unshaped/dispelled, so that would work.
    I don't have any Incarnum books on me right now, but IIRC they do act like items, so that actually would work.

The standard way to abuse it is to take a crafting feat when you need it or things like the feats that reduce the crafting XP/GP/Time by 25%.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Soulmelds are effectively permanent, so could that work?
    keep getting different soulmelds. As long as you have time and item slots, you can get another one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, but think about the Leadership thing for a moment.

The PCs are often some of the most powerful characters around. Hiring and then firing a cohort that's only 2 levels below you means that such a character has been established to exist in the world. You could populate the campaign world with an arbitrary amount of high-level characters. DM says that there are no high-level crafters to make your sword? Make some. The Chameleon not only acts all roles, but he creates all roles for the party's use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Ah, but think about the Leadership thing for a moment.

The PCs are often some of the most powerful characters around. Hiring and then firing a cohort that's only 2 levels below you means that such a character has been established to exist in the world. You could populate the campaign world with an arbitrary amount of high-level characters. DM says that there are no high-level crafters to make your sword? Make some. The Chameleon not only acts all roles, but he creates all roles for the party's use.
    I would slam you in the junk with a Kawasaki Ninja if you tried that on me.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think any sane DM would (and has the right to) shoot you in the face.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

An easy counter to the tactic described above that does not involve incredible pain on the part of the player would be to immediately kill off the cohorts in horrible and painful ways, to show just how hardcore the next encounter is. Everything can be handled with finesse, and I'd never suggest a strategy I didn't have a counter against.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10

Ninjas are nothing but finesse.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    I would slam you in the junk with a Kawasaki Ninja if you tried that on me.
    I'd just secretly decide that the cohorts all became thoroughly bitter at being fired after only one day. They would form a secret league, dedicated to wreaking their terrible vengeance on the Chameleon that so wronged them.

The first time he called on one of them for a service, they'd be helpful. The second time, still helpful. Eventually, long after he's come to trust them and has populated the world with hateful ex-employees? Time for an ambush.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

12. - Top - End - #12

An interesting (but probably suboptimal) use is to use the feat for Extra Spell with a spontaneous casting entry. You now have a floating spell known slot that you can change daily.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    An interesting (but probably suboptimal) use is to use the feat for Extra Spell with a spontaneous casting entry. You now have a floating spell known slot that you can change daily.
    I think that would be pretty useful for a Sorcerer (overcoming one of their biggest drawbacks). But the whole casting aspect of the Chameleon is also pretty dynamic in itself.
    Last edited by Maerok; 2010-06-02 at 05:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

For warlock's using extra invocation, and past level 14 the crafting feats are common ones to take, but that isn't very abusive.
    Last edited by The Shadowmind; 2010-06-02 at 05:35 PM.
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

You can have a floating martial study/martial stance, eh?
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

16. - Top - End - #16

OrcBarbarianGuy

I can't be troubled to actually look for good options, but I'm sure you could take advantage of your floating feat to gain Martial Study, then use that to take Martial Study for real and thus qualify for a higher level maneuver. When you lose the floating feat, the maneuver will help qualify itself.

I'm not sure if there are any good ones that can be picked up this way, but it's conceivable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marriclay View Post
    keep getting different soulmelds. As long as you have time and item slots, you can get another one
    Assuming he has a Con of at least 20, a Chameleon can shape up to 10 soulmelds (max soulmelds = 20 - Con score), and there are 10 possible chakras. In Person_Man's Haberdash build, I exposited a bit about which soulmelds a Chameleon might want to shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I can't be troubled to actually look for good options, but I'm sure you could take advantage of your floating feat to gain Martial Study, then use that to take Martial Study for real and thus qualify for a higher level maneuver. When you lose the floating feat, the maneuver will help qualify itself.

I'm not sure if there are any good ones that can be picked up this way, but it's conceivable.
    Two of the most powerful maneuvers require one maneuver as a prereq: Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics. You can also use the Heroics spell or one of the various novice wondrous items (Crown of the White Ravens, Ironheart Vest, etc.) that grant you a known maneuver while worn.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Leadership does not let you create a character, it has the DM give you one.
    If you take it and keep it, within a month or so the DM should give you someone appropriate. If you then release it and retake it, within a month or so the DM should give you someone appropriate (perhaps the same guy starts to like you more? Or perhaps he still hates you but his arch-nemesis becomes your staunch ally)

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Private-Prinny View Post
    Even Especially with a prepared, spellbook-based caster, this trick is handy to learn a new spell each day for free.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

20. - Top - End - #20

Extra Spell means Chameleons can fill their spellbook with any spells from any spell lists without finding someone to scribe them (which is typically the Archivist's great limiter).

edit:
    Gah. Ninja'd by three whole minutes.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-06-02 at 08:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Even Especially with a prepared, spellbook-based caster, this trick is handy to learn a new spell each day for free.
    That's even more evil than I thought it was... Not to mention that once you're done learning every spell, you can switch the feat for something more useful.

And god forbid retraining, where you drop the 2 Chameleon levels, pick up two more levels of spell advancement, and keep all of those free spells.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

22. - Top - End - #22

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Extra Spell means Chameleons can fill their spellbook with any spells from any spell lists without finding someone to scribe them (which is typically the Archivist's great limiter).

edit:
    Gah. Ninja'd by three whole minutes.
    Don't chameleons have access to every arcane and divine spell already? Unless you just mean using it to fill up another class's spells known.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Don't chameleons have access to every arcane and divine spell already? Unless you just mean using it to fill up another class's spells known.
    Exactly. For example, Wizard 9/Chameleon 2, takes Extra Spell every day, each time applying it to a new spell for his Wizard casting. Unless the spells mysteriously disappear from his book overnight, they stay there, allowing a Wizard to learn every spell on his list without any outside help.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

1.Take dodge as a bonus feat whenever you are offered a bonus feat from a limited list that includes dodge.
    2.Take DWDodge as your floating feat, replacing Dodge with something usefu.
    3.????
    4.Profit!

(Note, you may need to have DWDodge as a feat in order to benefit from feats gained this way. Synergize with Heroics to taste.)
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

25. - Top - End - #25

Divine spells, yes. Arcane spells, no.

(And it's handy for other classes too.)
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-06-02 at 09:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Divine spells, yes. Arcane spells, no.

(And it's handy for other classes too.)
    No, Races of Destiny says that the Chameleon keeps a spellbook LIKE a wizard, but can prepare spells from any arcane casting class.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Gene Ray View Post
    No, Races of Destiny says that the Chameleon keeps a spellbook LIKE a wizard, but can prepare spells from any arcane casting class.
    So be a chameleon. Take Extra Spell and pick [Arcane Spell]. Scribe it into your book. Now it's available for your chameleon's use of its arcane abilities forever. And you can pick a new spell each day to add.

Need Glibness? Scribe it. Bard list. Need Harm? Scribe it. Dread Necromancer list. It's all arcane, and it's all gravy.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.