New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Advice for PbP [4e]

Okay. I've just volunteered to DM a Play by Post game for the first time (and am currently wondering what I may have gotten myself into ).

Here's my question: for 4th Edition, using a battle-map of some sort comes highly recommended (for reasons I very much understand). So, here's my question: where can I find a good site to make battle-maps?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Advice for PbP [4e]

There's not a single good answer to this.

Maptool has a good setup, but is meant more for play by chat.

What most DMs do is just draw maps and post them in the thread, using Paintbrush and an image hosting site, or ASCII characters.

You might consider sending a private message to a Shhalahr_Windrider and asking about the software he developed for an easily updated PbP map. I'm not sure if he's sharing it yet or not but it looks like he finally got all the bugs worked out.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried PMing him, and it said 'invalid user specified'.

I'd prefer not to have to draw my own maps, partially because my drawing, quite frankly, sucks.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2010-06-03 at 06:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I use combination Gametable (with some modification that allows for status icons for 4e statuses) + Token Tool (the later from the same place where maptool comes) for PBF maps. Gametable is inferior to Maptool, but allows for export of the whole map to an image. Tokens are done with Token Tool obviously, maps might be a problem though unless you have an idea where to fetch some tiles or premade maps.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Try asking someone who does like drawing to do the map for you, you just provide the guide lines, failing that, Doesnt mythweavers make maps/ (not sure, i just think i read it somewhere)
    Spoiler
    Show

I am a...

Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 12
    Wisdom- 18
    Charisma- 11

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

1 advise: ignore initiative. It takes to long for everybody to wait until it is their turn.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    1 advise: ignore initiative. It takes to long for everybody to wait until it is their turn.
    Yeah, I'm not going to ignore it entirely (since it is an important part of the rules) but allies who aren't separated by an enemy's turn are going to be considered to have equal initiative.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to ignore it entirely (since it is an important part of the rules) but allies who aren't separated by an enemy's turn are going to be considered to have equal initiative.
    I'd simplify it a bit more: Grouped initiative: Good guys, then bad guys, or vice-versa.

Either good guys always go first, or one guy rolls Initiative for the whole group... I'd go with the slowest one, but that nerfs some of the stuff available to Rogues and Rangers, but depending on the team, the other way could mean that the players always go first because the Rogue/Ranger/Monk has ridiculous Initiative. You could also do unmodified d20 checks, with any bonuses based on party-wide initiative modifiers, like a Warlord or everyone having Quick Draw...

You could also check the average initiative bonuses between the parties and the monsters, and the ones with the higher average bonus goes first...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

You can play 4e without a map. Just go with "he's right next to you" (1 square), "he's a few paces away" (2-5 squares), "he's a little ways away" (6-10 squares), etc. Then be lenient on the ranges of things.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II