New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Tired of roleplaying...any ideas?

So, for the last twelve months or so I've become progressively more uninspired by the RPG's that I've been playing with my gaming group. We do vary our games quite a bit, but I've still found myself becoming tired of the things we play and unable to summon up the imagination or enthusiasm to create interesting characters. Then without an interesting character that stretches my roleplaying I just find the current games we play even more bland and samey. I've also stopped running any games myself, again due to a lack of any real interest or inspiration.

To try and spur myself to some form of action I've decided that a new game system might be a good investment to try and save the hobby for me, something that's a bit of a departure from the things we've been playing recently. Steampunk and Modern Action/Horror are settings that interests me a good deal, so I was thinking of looking for something in this genre. Thing is, I have no real idea of the quality of the rules systems that are out there, or which one would suit my GMing/playstyle. In a situation such as this I could think of only one place to come for advice, the Playground!

Does anyone know of any good Steam Punk and/or Modern Horror systems that I could look into? If it helps, here's a run-down of what we already play/have access to, and my preferences when it comes to playing/running games:

- I favour storytelling and character development over grinding combat and generic dungeon crawls.
    - I'd rather not have to spend a whole night creating characters for a game, sifting through hundreds of statistics and abilities/options.
    - I like to play and run with few restrictions and checks of the rules. Keeping the game flowing is more important to me than adhering exactly to the rules.

Games we already play:
    - D&D 3.5
    - World of Darkness (All varieties)
    - Warhammer Fantasy RP
    - Savage Worlds
    - Call of Cthulhu
    - Shadowrun
    - Deadlands
    - GURPS
    - Dr Who (The horror! The horror!)

If anyone has any ideas that might help me get my mojo back it would be very much appreciated. Doesn't neccessarily have to be Modern Horror or Steampunk, I'm willing to take a look at anything. Any way of reviving the hobby for me would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2010-06-03 at 05:33 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Tired of roleplaying...any ideas?

Two thoughts:

1) MouseGuard is consistently mentioned as the 'next big thing' in the evolution of RPGs. Give it a look.

2) Have you considered Talisman? Settlers of Kataan? Monopoly? Take a break from RPGs long enough to let your creative juices recharge, then come back to the one(s) that you found you missed the most.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Watch films that you saw when you were younger. Heaven knows most melee charicters I make are either based on the elves from LOTR or everyone in Highlander.
    Thanks to BRC for the Wizard Avi!
    And the science gets done and You make a neat gun for the people who are still alive!
    I Critique Homebrew Races, PM me with your suggestions!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DARK HERESY! DO IT!

ahem. Or Rogue trader. I really like the rule sets, the settings give you ton of versatility to work with and you can have some really CRAZY adventures. And if you don't like it, well that's HERESY *blam shoots OP*
    Never forget you are the walls of steel and iron, between Mankind and a thousand horrors too unspeakable to name. You are the walls of Hell.

My warhammer 40000 Blog: http://bewaretheskinks.blogspot.com/

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Exalted.

Yes, I suggest that whenever someone hasn't already played it, no matter what they were looking for. Unless they're looking for low-powered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Two thoughts:

1) MouseGuard is consistently mentioned as the 'next big thing' in the evolution of RPGs. Give it a look.

2) Have you considered Talisman? Settlers of Kataan? Monopoly? Take a break from RPGs long enough to let your creative juices recharge, then come back to the one(s) that you found you missed the most.
    Hmmm Mouseguard. Haven't heard of that one, to Google!

As for the second part, I've spent the last six months playing 40k, Warmachine, Catan, Carcassonne, Blood Bowl etc in the hope that a break would cure what's ailin'. It hasn't.

Dark Heresy...the ruleset for 40K roleplaying right? I remember playing that once, it was fun. Might take a look, it almost verges on gritty Cyberpunk I guess.

Exalted.
    No mommy, not again! Take the nasty rules away!
    On a more serious note, Exalted is something I tried and couldn't really get on with. Too much messing around with working out combo's and abilities.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't say Mouse Guard allows you to put the rules on the back burner.

In most systems where you have a disadvantage or flaw you take it in hope that the area you'd be penalised in doesn't come up very frequently. In Mouse Guard you are rewarded by the the system for making your flaws matter and come to the forefront when it matters most. And to do that you've got to accept that the core mechanics are not something you can homebrew or handwave away casually.

That said most of the rules appear on the character sheet. And the whole thing is very well done. The only system I prefer is the parent system Burning Wheel which is Tolkienesque fantasy. But the rules in that are even more centrally present, so it's probably not ideal for you.
    Last edited by Totally Guy; 2010-06-03 at 06:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Have you considered just playing freeform?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can trust the computer. The computer is your friend. Would you like some cake, citizen?
    Last edited by Prodan; 2010-06-03 at 06:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Mentioning the computer outside Alpha Complex is treason. Please report for self termination citizen.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #11

It sounds like you want a rules-light system. You might look at Maid, Fate, or Wushu. Maid in particular, since it completely ridiculous and random, may be a good option for relaxing and avoiding burnout even if it wouldn't suit you for regular play.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'd recommend Riddle of Steel, but I'm not sure how well it fits your expectations. It's a low-powered, low-magic and generally low fantasy game that focuses on very realistic, very brutal combat.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-06-03 at 08:03 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Some good ones not on your list (and tending to be character centric):
    Nobilis - if you can grok the rules, it is an awesome game. Best attempted with a GM who's already played the game before, though.
    In Nomine - Relatively simple, rules light, and lots of fun if you don't take the source material too seriously.
    Continuum - Hard to find, but interesting. This game is very character centric, tends to be very player motivated, and has a tendency to cause migraines if you are unable to accept the idea of predestination.

Hope that helps.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

+1 to any Fate RPG, you can do just about anything with the system and its core concepts are reliant on RP to work.
    "He who would count the teeth of the dragon must accept a degree of risk"
    Vince Arkady in Sea Strike by James Cobb

15. - Top - End - #15

Daemon

Going back briefly to the idea of taking a break - play something on the computer or a console (please nobody stone me!). You don't have to constantly think about rules, and although it's not exactly freedom on the RPing front, it's a good way to blow off steam. Failing that, +1 to films.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

For steampunk, the GURPS steampunk rules and Castle Falkenstein are pretty good.

If you're set on something different from what you've done before, see if you can track down a copy of Space 1899.

For a non-RPG break, try Roborally (preferably old rules) or Killer Bunnies.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm probably going to hear it for this but...

Go LARP, it's awesome. Most LARP clubs allow you your first event free to check it out. Is there a LARP near you? If they don't let you go to the first event free most LARPS let you NPC for free (or a really low fee) then all you have to do is throw 4 pairs of black sweats + socks and undies into backpack and buy a some food and water and head on over.
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-06-03 at 10:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well. Let's get the obvious one out of the way. Risus.

It's simple, it's free, the rules last a grand total of 10 pages. And yet, there's a beauty to its simplicity. You pick 10 dice worth of cliches that make up your character, roll the number of dice equal to your cliche and start rolling away. Every cliche can attempt anything it just effects the target number (tarzan swings on a rope better than indiana jones better than stephen hawking).

It can be played wacky or serious (although, it's better off comedic). The truth of the matter is, though, it's a good palate cleanser. No worrying about stats or leveling. You just sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself. Have some pretzels and soda with some friends and joke around. Even the GM really just has to know generally where he's going to GM. So, it's low stress for everyone.

And yet. Combat is also fun and creative. Inappropriate cliches actually do more "damage" in combat. So, coming up with creative ways to take down enemies actually works well. It's a more roleplaying style combat, but that also makes it fairly frantic and fast allowing for more really fun combat.

And it's FREE. So, you don't exactly have anything to lose. I mean, if you like it, you can always support the creator and donate 10 bucks to get a 100 page expansion that's more of a fascinating exercise in game theory and GM theory than an actual manual and you could always look up the Uresia setting (although, a world of fallen gods and wandering celebrity warrior chefs probably isn't to your taste).

Whenever I'm burned out with systems and numbers, I always go back to Risus. It really is a magical little game.

Of course, if you want something a bit more substantial and you're not THAT burned out on numbers and leveling...

-The Tri-stat and BESM allow for some fairly flexible creation and both cover steampunk fairly well.

-Paranoia XP is about as Horror as a system gets, but it's also more Orwellian horror. Big brother is watching you and you're going to die... a lot... so much that you have 6 clones. Easy to get into and actually does Player vs. Player better than just about any system out there.

-Contrary to what some people say, I actually like the Serenity system. Combat is extremely deadly, yes, but that's to stress that you should really only be fighting as a last resort, and you better be prepared when you do. All in all though, the dice roll mechanic is interesting and it captures that space old western outlaw feel well.

-Burning Wheel is excellent. You level up skills for using them. So, you're rewarded with experience for playing your character how you want to play them. Of course, if you want more space style, pick up Burning Empires instead. Same system. A few tweaks. Only now in Space. Also, making a character is oddly fast for how complicated it is.

-Mutants and Masterminds will inevitably come up. Of course, it's actually a good system, but it might not be for you if you don't want to be super heroes, secret agents, or anime characters.

-My own homebrew thread, Pirates vs. Ninjas is actually a steampunk setting, and the system's fairly simple (2d6 for all rolls. No stat over 10. Larger armies take penalties. Life fuels abilities. Abilities are everything you can do), and I AM looking for better testers in the future. </self-promotion>

Other than that, I have LOTS of excellent ones to recommend, but they get REALLY specific like In Nomine (a game where you play angels or demons in the fight between heaven and hell WITHOUT mucking up the mortal realm) or Seventh Sea (PIRATES!).

Any of those sound interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostfang View Post
    I'm probably going to hear it for this but...

Go LARP, it's awesome. Most LARP clubs allow you your first event free to check it out. Is there a LARP near you? If they don't let you go to the first event free most LARPS let you NPC for free (or a really low fee) then all you have to do is throw 4 pairs of black sweats + socks and undies into backpack and buy a some food and water and head on over.
    Why would anyone? It's a perfectly valid choice. A bit of work to get out there sometimes, but well worth it if you're near enough to one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I've got to recommend Etherscope. It's based off of the d20 system, and it's like the bastard child of victorian-age steampunk comingled with The Matrix. If I were to ever try to set a game in Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age or Snow Crash, this is the game I'd use to do it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post
    -Mutants and Masterminds will inevitably come up. Of course, it's actually a good system, but it might not be for you if you don't want to be super heroes, secret agents, or anime characters.
    I'd say the system has a wider breadth than that and normally I'd recommend it, but while the rules don't require constant reference during play, chargen is still an involved process with a huge number of options to weigh and compare and choose between. Probably not suitable, based on the OP.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2010-06-03 at 10:39 AM. Reason: rewording for clarity

21. - Top - End - #21

LARPing can really amp you up too.

Sure you're 10th level ranger isn't going to run from 4 goblins but you sure will when your low on HP at a LARP.

And let me tell you nothing like getting chased by a pack of goblins through the woods to get the heart racing!
    (Or chasing a player through the woods MWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA)
    Last edited by Ormagoden; 2010-06-03 at 10:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

7ºth sea. nice for performe total awesome stuns and moves and everything it come from imagination "alejandro dumas" style.

Pendragon! it has an awesome of chivaldric achivements and personal traits.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I'd say the system has a wider breadth than that and normally I'd recommend it, but while in play the rules don't require constant reference chargen is an involved process with a huge number of options to weigh and compare and choose between. Probably not suitable, based on the OP.
    It's true. It really is. M&M is INCREDIBLY flexible without losing cohesiveness, but my favorite opinion is the right system for the right job.

You can handle other things, but those are really the 3 things it does really well in my opinion. It's designed for super powered characters and it does that well. Anything else, I typically prefer other systems focused on the idea you want to play. Kinda like how d20 Modern CAN do Super Heroes but I'd rather play M&M for that. I'd prefer d20 for apocalyptic normies with mutations than M&M.

Still, it handles itself well, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't own multiple books for it. So, I DO whole-heartedly recommend it.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I'd say the system has a wider breadth than that and normally I'd recommend it, but while in play the rules don't require constant reference chargen is an involved process with a huge number of options to weigh and compare and choose between. Probably not suitable, based on the OP.
    It's true. It really is. M&M is INCREDIBLY flexible without losing cohesiveness, but my favorite opinion is the right system for the right job.

You can handle other things, but those are really the 3 things it does really well in my opinion. It's designed for super powered characters and it does that well. Anything else, I typically prefer other systems focused on the idea you want to play. Kinda like how d20 Modern CAN do Super Heroes but I'd rather play M&M for that. I'd prefer d20 for apocalyptic normies with mutations than M&M.

Still, it handles itself well, and I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't own multiple books for it. So, I DO whole-heartedly recommend it.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I've got to recommend Etherscope. It's based off of the d20 system, and it's like the bastard child of victorian-age steampunk comingled with The Matrix. If I were to ever try to set a game in Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age or Snow Crash, this is the game I'd use to do it.
    And damn it, Fax. Leave it up to you to list the one system on this list I'm NOT incredibly familiar with.

25. - Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

Pendragon! it has an awesome of chivaldric achivements and personal traits.
    Not to mention the fun of watching your entire party TPK themselves while dismounting from horseback...
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if you want steampunk, what immediately jumps to mind is a game of Exalted with everyone playing Alchemicals, but that has a rather high entry cost.

You'd need:
    the Exalted core book
    the Manual of Exalted Powers:Alchemicals
    and probably Wonders of the Lost Age

However, nothing says steampunk like magical communist cyborgs living on Cybertron and trying to save it from gremlins and mechanical cancer.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Well, if you want steampunk, what immediately jumps to mind is a game of Exalted with everyone playing Alchemicals, but that has a rather high entry cost.

You'd need:
    the Exalted core book
    the Manual of Exalted Powers:Alchemicals
    and probably Wonders of the Lost Age

However, nothing says steampunk like magical communist cyborgs living on Cybertron and trying to save it from gremlins and mechanical cancer.
    *cough cough*

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    No mommy, not again! Take the nasty rules away!
    On a more serious note, Exalted is something I tried and couldn't really get on with. Too much messing around with working out combo's and abilities.
    Somehow I don't think this one will work.

28. - Top - End - #28

I've heard FATAL's a pretty good game system...
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Dairun Cates View Post
    You can handle other things, but those are really the 3 things it does really well in my opinion. It's designed for super powered characters and it does that well.
    I agree with that. Perhaps it's just that I don't regard "super heroes" and "super powered characters" as close to synonyms. It's not a great system for mostly mundane characters, but nor does it come with a spandex suit.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Legend of the Five Rings, by AEG, is intensely focused on roleplaying and is very rules-light, with an elegant resolution mechanic.

If you're open to considering something a little further off the RPG path, check our Fantasy Flight Games. They make board games and card games for gamers: I'm not talking about Monopoly or Pinochle or any of your grandparent's games here: they have games based on Cthulhu, Game of Thrones, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, and of course their flagship game is the incredibly badass Twilight Imperium. These are games for gamers.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.