New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] Completing the Christmas Tree Effect: Why is there no Magic Pants?

You see a high level character, blinged out with every magic item slot filled. She has her +awesome sword of amazing, her helm of coolitude, her boots of ass kicking, +yes armor of sweet, etc. You cast detect magic and check out her auras and you're nearly blinded with all the twinkling lights from everywhere...except from her waist down to her ankles.

How can we stand not to complete the ensemble if we don't have shiny pants that give us bonii, I ask you? Some game developers have recognized this (Spiderweb Software usually has characters with pant slots) but we seem to lack one. What affinity should be associated with magic pants? Movement, physical improvement?

What's the Playgrounds thoughts on this or do Real Adventurers really go pantsless, since there is no mechanical benefit to wearing pants, despite the belt you're wearing?

Also, not to be confused with Magic Pants.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Completing the Christmas Tree Effect: Why is there no Magic Pants?

There is. I know I've seen them somewhere. The problem, though, is that there isn't a pants slot, so you'd have to take up your body slot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Completing the Christmas Tree Effect: Why is there no Magic Pants?

If you want to be imaginative, armor covers from your torso can also cover your legs, like the medieval knights.

How many slots does your game need? Cuz I've had DMs who would say, you got 10 fingers, why not have 10 rings? He rolled that rule back in REAL fast. I suppose its ok to have more slots if their effects sucks, aka 4th edition. But if you have decent magical effects, you should limit how many items you can carry at once.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2010-06-03 at 01:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This is theoretically what the Waist slot is supposed to include, but damned if there's nothing but belt belt belt sash belt waistcord rosary belt

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    This is theoretically what the Waist slot is supposed to include, but damned if there's nothing but belt belt belt sash belt waistcord rosary belt
    And the occasional girdle.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is because everyone knows that thigh-high leather boots are the most awesome awesomosity out there. If your boots slot item isn't making your entire leg glow with magic, you are Doing It Wrong.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You could instead of a Belt of Giant Strenght have it be Pants of Giant Strength. As long as they take up your waist slot, no actual game mechanics change. It would be purely asthetic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    I suppose that's one way of looking at it. I suppose that would imply that magic pants have an affinity for physical improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    This is because everyone knows that thigh-high leather boots are the most awesome awesomosity out there. If your boots slot item isn't making your entire leg glow with magic, you are Doing It Wrong.
    Thigh high boots aren't for everybody, as some characters function better with sandals, though there are some pretty crazy sandals out there with straps all the way up the thigh. What I'm saying is why can't we also have some manly displacer beast leather pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosko View Post
    You could instead of a Belt of Giant Strenght have it be Pants of Giant Strength. As long as they take up your waist slot, no actual game mechanics change. It would be purely asthetic.
    But why couldn't we have both Magic Pants, with a Magic Belt holding them up? You could even have some kind of synergy effect for such a thing, kind of a variant to Augment Crystals, you could say.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    But why couldn't we have both Magic Pants, with a Magic Belt holding them up?
    Same reason you can't use more than two magic rings. (To wit: No real in-character reason; it's just an arbitrary limitation to make the game a little more sane.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I've given out magic trousers in a game before. They just took up the boots slot.

Envalee's Dodgy Pants. Resistance bonus to saves (+2) and Evasion (as per the ring).
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Same reason you can't use more than two magic rings. (To wit: No real in-character reason; it's just an arbitrary limitation to make the game a little more sane.)
    Having both Magic Pants and a Magic Belt would break things? I think it's more the designers either forgot or got lazy than having an additional magic item slot available would throw game balance.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Having both Magic Pants and a Magic Belt would break things? I think it's more the designers either forgot or got lazy than having an additional magic item slot available would throw game balance.
    It's because most armors are both body and leg.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

If they added a pants slot then people would complain the game is now too much like WoW.
    Sadly I am only being half sarcastic..
    In all seriousness though, adding a pants slot would not be a bad idea. You already have a torso slot in addition to a body slot (armor and a shirt!), so I can't see why a pants slot would be bad.
    Last edited by Choco; 2010-06-03 at 02:08 PM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    If they added a pants slot then people would complain the game is now too much like WoW.
    Sadly I am only being half sarcastic..
    I wouldn't say that, considering 3rd Ed came out before WoW did. That's more of an issue for 4th but then I could care less about that edition.

In all seriousness though, adding a pants slot would not be a bad idea. You already have a torso slot in addition to a body slot (armor and a shirt!), so I can't see why a pants slot would be bad.
    Exactly my point, why shouldn't we have greaves that were separately enchanted if they can have 3 different slots on your torso (armor/robe, shirt and vest) to boot.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #15

It's actually quite clear why they fully excluded the pants slot: full body armor.

I mean, where are the pants on a set of full plate?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    It's actually quite clear why they fully excluded the pants slot: full body armor.

By that logic the torso slot would not exist either. There is already a precedent for shirts, but not for pants. At least they thought this through half way.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    A place quite similar to where the vest is.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

So that when you "get it on" with the ladies, you don't have to take off your +6 pants of charisma.
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Flob View Post
    So that when you "get it on" with the ladies, you don't have to take off your +6 pants of charisma.

I'll have to see how a cloak works in bed. Could be fun with a nice satin one.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Which is a good thing, because unless you're a sorcerer, the Charisma loss would probably cost you the chance to finally ''get it on'' with that princess/tavern maid (depending on ECL and WBL) after 3 hours of flirting to your DM.

Edit: @Astralfire: It's awesome. And very soft. And if things go bad and her/his parents get home, you can always make a dramatic exit with it.
    Last edited by Rothen; 2010-06-03 at 03:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose better pants than a codpiece of charisma.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Rothen View Post
    Which is a good thing, because unless you're a sorcerer, the Charisma loss would probably cost you the chance to finally ''get it on'' with that princess/tavern maid (depending on ECL and WBL) after 3 hours of flirting to your DM.

Edit: @Astralfire: It's awesome. And very soft. And if things go bad and her/his parents get home, you can always make a dramatic exit with it.
    If they get home, I'd ask them where they got our keys from.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Why no magic pants?

Funny story that. You see, the developers initially intended to include pants as a slot for magic items. However playtesting showed that way too much time was spent giggling immaturely and cracking jokes, so the idea got scrapped.
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    Why no magic pants?

Funny story that. You see, the developers initially intended to include pants as a slot for magic items. However playtesting showed that way too much time was spent giggling immaturely and cracking jokes, so the idea got scrapped.
    Said laughter was, of course, amplified tenfold as soon as they tested it with Brits.

Who promptly began demanding a 'magic trousers' slot, on the basis that it was getting a bit drafty.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

25. - Top - End - #25

Now that you mention it, I could totally dig a Kilt of Charisma.

No really, who doesn't listen to an authoritive man in a kilt?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I recall a 1e AD&D discussion of this, and I seem to remember that the reasoning is that you have to wear the magic ring on the ring finger, and you only have 2 of these. I don't really remember if this was backed up by the text in the books or not, but really whether this is a house rule or not is kind of immaterial, since it is an example of a valid in-character reason for that limitation.
    Kungaloosh!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Awww, what this needs is an eyeball item slot, polymorphic teeth, and equippable intestines...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Awww, what this needs is an eyeball item slot, polymorphic teeth, and equippable intestines...
    There were at least two out of three of those present in Planescape: Torment, if I recall correctly.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

+1 hammer pants, they give you a bonus to perform (dance)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Magical Radiation. Do you want your boys stewing in it all day? Not me.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!