New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default D&D Cosmology question

Are cold sores more of a demon, devil, or daemon sort of portfolio? And what rank would the subordinate of the whatever [noble rank] of pestilence in charge of cold sores in particular have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: D&D Cosmology question

Daemons (yugoloths) have a affinity with disease- the Oinoloth is a unique yugoloth that has special powers, and typically, a diseased-sounding name.

Like Anthraxus.

That said, there may be devils or demons with an element of this- for devils, there is Baalzebul the Slug Archduke (Lord of the Flies, Lord of the Lies), whose layer is basically wall-to-wall filth.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-06-04 at 03:44 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I would avoid Yugoloths, simply because (a) there isn't much info on them, (b) their motivations aren't very clear and (c) they're just plain bland.

Undead do a better job of NE "Evil for evil's sake," imo.

4. - Top - End - #4

Nerull (main core deity of undeath) does do disease as well- he grants the Pestilence domain as well as his main ones, in Complete Divine.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

What does this have to do with cosmology?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    I would avoid Yugoloths, simply because (a) there isn't much info on them, (b) their motivations aren't very clear and (c) they're just plain bland.

Undead do a better job of NE "Evil for evil's sake," imo.
    There's plenty on material on Yugoloths. Faces of Evil has a lot on them, as does Hellbound. Then there's Planes of Conflict, of course, and the old Planescape monster manuals, with a few pages on every Yugoloth.

Also, go read Shemeshka's Storyhour and the Baernoloth stories on Planewalker and tell me again that they are bland.

Cold Sores and Diseases are very much a Loth thing. Hades is a plane filled up with every infection imaginable, after all, and the Arcanaloths love biological warfare.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-06-04 at 06:21 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Are cold sores more of a demon, devil, or daemon sort of portfolio? And what rank would the subordinate of the whatever [noble rank] of pestilence in charge of cold sores in particular have?
    I'd definitely call it more of a daemonic portfolio, although I can see ways you could spin it into demonic territory (a demon that uses fiend of corruption or wish powers to allow mortals to give rivals cold sores to deface them, but then it comes back on them even worse unless they keep cursing people).

I wouldn't call them all that powerful given that cold sores aren't lethal.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    That's just what they want ya' to think, cutter. There's a reason the phrase is "lyin' like a 'loth"...

But this is definitely a daemon purview, yugoloths in particular. They have an affinity for disease and there's not much I can say that hasn't been said already. The daemon's power in question depends on how much it covers. A daemon that only specializes in cold sores would probably only be an ultroloth, lesser oinoloth at best. Not that that's anything to turn your nose up to, blood. Names to throw around might be something like 'Herpex' or 'Labael'. (Orolabioth? Or if you prefer traditional, Orolabaemon.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft