New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

A New Face in the Darkness (Non-canon)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The thing about eternity is that it makes you... lonely. And not in the way that you would think...

It's not just that you are alone. There are others who exist in the state left untouched by death. Some have wrenched immortality from the universe, others were born with it. Some had it forced upon them by some horrible act, whether it was seen, experienced, or because they did it. I will not speak of how I ascended. Suffice to say, that I was once mortal, as well.

The thing about having eternity is that it is the ultimate goal. Once you have that, you can do anything. Or so it is said. While it gives you time to perfect yourself, and your art, whether that be magic, swordplay, or crafting, after a time, you do reach a limit. You can only do so much by yourself. And then, you must turn to the mortals for guidance.

The thing about them is that they think that the world is our plaything. They think that we can wave a hand and rewrite reality. However, it doesn't work that way. Reality was made for them. They, because they don't have forever, get a lot more done. Think about it. While I may practice magic for hours upon hours, I don't really feel the need to accomplish anything. What do I learn magic for? It no longer has a purpose, save as a pastime. But mortals do have a need for it. It may mean life or death for one person, or the means to their ultimate goal for another. They have a driving reason. And that's what makes their lives more interesting than ours. They can accomplish in one lifetime what it would take me, or any of the others millennia to do. Because they have a reason to do it.

Watching mortals, however, carries risks. They feel and live like we cannot imagine any more, or remember. They are willing to dedicate their lives to each other, they can feel a burning hate for those that slighted them, they can desire to right a wrong that happened- and they only have so long to do so. While we might have literally forever to accomplish our goals, they only have about a century to get it done. And so they work fast. Watching them brings pain to us. It makes us remember what we miss. It makes us remember the hate in the world, and the love; the justice, the evil, the desire to just accomplish something someone will remember. It brings us pains that we won't feel any of it again. And so, we take an interest in it.

We don't really tamper in the world of humans much. It unbalances things, and makes the humans become lazy, expecting us to be the movers and shakers. Unfortunately, that isn't our goal. We want the mortals moving, so we have something to distract us. It's like a game; see what happens next, nudge things along in the right direction when it's really needed, and sit back and enjoy what happens. Unfortunately, I got too involved.

I started the latest round of the game nearby the paladins, the latest plot device. I hid myself around the academy just as the last recruit was coming in. Viola, her name was. Through her, I decided to observe life, and hopefully feel what it was like to be mortal once again. Slipping into shadow, I followed her in, and decided to see what it was like for the new recruits.

It's astonishing, really, what mortals will do to improve themselves. While I already knew that the paladins were devoted, the extents to which I previously had no idea. They were shaking up reality from the training hall, to such a degree that mortals could almost perceive it. They would pour the energy of the crystals into reality, giving it form and shape, channeling it in ways that we didn't expect at all when we made them. It almost made me manifest. I had to hang back to regather my energy so I would remain unnoticed, and by the time that I did, I had lost them. So I explored the academy, under the cover of shadow. I had, as a cost of my participation in the game, given a bit of my essence to the Paramadis project, and I was curious to see what effect it had wreaked. I am shadow, darkness, and energy; while those are the elements that mortals would see as related to evil, I am quite the opposite. Darkness is cover from the sun, when it becomes too unbearable; a place to relax when not judged by the sun or the beings that live in it. Undeath is not a perversion of nature; it lets restless souls get another chance, and it gives them a purpose that I provide them. It's mercy, really. More of a neutral entity, that could be used either way. I wanted to see what the person who got my crystal would make of it.

Unfortunately, I didn't see them. But what I did see amazed me.

Emotions in the academy were overwhelming. Joy, exhaustion, anticipation, anxiety, love, sorrow, companionship, resentment... even when the emotions were downplayed, it was overwhelming. I guess that's where I got too sucked in.

While wandering through the academy, there seemed to be only one source of truly powerful emotions. While there were a number of people with strong emotions, most of them were more or less the same. Except the person I originally tagged along with. Viola. When I managed to locate her again, she was heading out to her first mission. I tagged along, hoping to see what a paladin in action would be like. Not like one of the experienced ones, though. Someone who had no idea what their powers were. Someone unpredictable, who didn't just do the same things over and over again. Someone new.

The fight was moderately exciting; more so than many of the other battles the paladins fought, but it lacked something. An epic scope, I guess. But what it lacked in action, it made up for in the emotions. The assassin was radiating enjoyment. He was ready for this, eager to try out his new toys. Viola was devoted to her cause, but she more had a subtle cocktail of emotions than one overpowered one. But the emotions of everyone else was what made it worthwhile. The fear and faith of Kurama, the joy and iron-hard will of Penny- those really made the battle worthwhile. I decided to keep an eye on things.

And then Grim came back. That... was actually disappointing. He had potential, with my energy. He decided to use it to make weapons, armor- something to make him invincible. But it was done and done. He had much, much more potential. For one, darkness is supposed to be subtle and creeping. If he bothered to think about his energy rather than just bending it to his will, he could have done so much more. He could have made a replica of himself out of shadow, and hidden invisible in the darkness, like myself. He could have used other people's shadows, instead of his own. But no. He had to make it bend to his will, rather than thinking about what the darkness specialized in. But the thing about the fight that really grabbed me was Viola. She didn't know anything about her limits, and her power responded accordingly. The thing that grabbed me was that she could see through the darkness- behind the mask of night, to see things how they actually are. That was the most striking feature. Someone who wouldn't discriminate based off preconceptions- that was one feature of her power. And then she grabbed my interest. Later, after the battle, I decided to follow Grim, and see if I could unearth a bit of his history. What I found certainly amused me, and it gave me insight into the man.

After I returned to the academy, I was in time to catch Viola's return from Hell. I knew about Grim and his plan, shallow though it was. And I kept watching. Right until their final stand.

And then I had a choice. I could do something. These were two people who were worth something. Someone who wasn't a part of a mold, but was reshaping it slowly into her image, and an arrogant fool who though himself free of the mold. It was a tough choice- whether or not to save one.

Life shards. Those are the cost. Each one had enormous cost involved- some people forged them from the mass exodus of souls from the grave, others remnants of some personal sacrifice. Those immortals who witness the events can collect them- though at the cost of bearing the event. It cannot be unseen, nor unlived. It haunts you forever, just to obtain one single crystal. Although I had enough to save them both- I had to know if the result was worth the price. Once a life shard is given, it cannot be taken back. I decided to save just the one. Viola. For who she would be. She had a good future before her- a chance to move and shake the world, to stir emotion and to further it all. So I paid the price to bribe death. I saved her, and let her breathe once more. I let Death take Grim. He still has potential, and I feel the need to prepare him for that. He wasted the energy I had given the world. In the afterlife, I will teach him what he missed out on. And if someone deems him comes back, I pray that he will take my lessons to heart.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2011-01-05 at 08:18 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #872
    Bugbear in the Playground

So what your saying is your an all powerful creature that decides the fate of mortals? That doesn't seem the least bit fair.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

3. - Top - End - #873

But isn't that what a DM is?

Anyway, I enjoyed you philosophy on how Grim's use of power showed his pride and inability to consider anything that didn't immediately appeal to him. Non-cannon, but interesting.
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2011-01-04 at 10:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

4. - Top - End - #874

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    But isn't that what a DM is?
    I could either say yes or lie and say that since I don't actually PLAY DnD I wouldn't know. Unfortunately my brother does play so I do know.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #875

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    So what your saying is your an all powerful creature that decides the fate of mortals? That doesn't seem the least bit fair.
    Nope. I'm not. Not in the least. Immortal, yes. Almighty? No. Some factors:
    1) Tampering in the world rampantly would cause other immortals to get involved and put me out of commission. Including other people in the thread who have yet to make an appearance.
    2) There are rules to any game. Break them, and suffer the dire consequences.
    3) My character's powers are limited. He's only been immortal for so long, and hasn't really developed the powers too much.
    4) It has already been stated that you don't, in general, mess in mortal affairs.
    5) Why mess in mortal affairs? I watch them. Not interfere, except that once. And that's still not in the actual world.
    6) Immortal power is still limited.
    7) Even if I am an immortal, I am by no means one of the strongest ones.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #876

Woah... I was kidding, you don't have to explain yourself...
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #877

Woah... I was kidding, you don't have to explain yourself...
    Kinda hard to tell over the internet... without any emoticons or smileys... or any indication that you might not be serious...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #878

Well there is the fact that your story is non-canon and thus CANNOT be unfair because it has no actual effect on the story.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Hopefully this is more of a teaser than a spoiler...
    A New Face in the Darkness
    Spoiler
    Show
    -snip-
    I'm sorry. Completely Non-canon. If you really want to know your true role behind everything, I could send you a pm.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

10. - Top - End - #880

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I'm sorry. Completely Non-canon. If you really want to know your true role behind everything, I could send you a pm.
    Ah, ok. And yes, I'd like to see the PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

HE gets to know the secret behind his character... (sulks)

Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    HE gets to know the secret behind his character... (sulks)

His character doesn't get fully explained until story arc 4 atleast. Besides, he's a DM at heart. He will always be harassing me with different ideas that won't fit because he doesn't know the basics of the story line.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, but I'll analyse everything you say for information.

Nah, it's okay. I can wait.
    For now.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

when will be my arc?
    i see myself as a Crimson dragon patriarch trying to destroy the academy (again)
    Despite everything, its still me.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    when will be my arc?
    i see myself as a Crimson dragon patriarch trying to destroy the academy (again)
    Bah, "destroy this and that" villains comes and go! The cool kids try to take the place of good guys instead and rule without opposition

16. - Top - End - #886

Spoiler
    Show
    He crashed into the ground again, the little rocks that coated the ground cutting his arms up. His foe was yelling some taunt after knocking him down, but the child didn't really hear what it was. He scrambled back to his feet and charged at his tormentor, swinging his fists wildly at- A sudden strike caught him in the stomach and he doubled over in pain before his legs were swept out from under him. Again and again he rose and tried to fight back. His opponent was only a little older, but at five years of age that equals a lot bigger and stronger. Eventually he couldn't even get up, reduced to lying on the ground with tears on his face. "Pathetic, Recaiden. Loser." The words came with a sharp kick and then he was alone.
    Thinking back on the occasion, the assassin found no strong emotion. Time does heal all, well, most wounds, after all. The man on his knees before him, bleeding out, he was nothing. Just...good practice.
    The mark hadn't even recognized him, and he had relished explaining before...
    Oh. Now he was dead. Time to begone, before someone came upon the scene. Recaiden was quickly out a window and onto the roof of a neighboring house, one of his signature knives left beside the victim. After all, what's the point of infamy if no one can connect you to your acts? And it would be such fun watching the city guard try to figure out who had hired him, when in fact this job was done for free.

[hr]

When he returned to the inn where he was staying today, no longer in his fancy business clothes, he found a message had been left for him. A summons, and Recaiden smiled. The enemies of kings demanded a high price.

[hr]

"The king can be such a fool."
    the assassin mused to himself. Killing the savior of the world would bring an untold amount of ill will and hate upon the killer and the one who hired him, if that should ever become known. And the paladin herself has evidently grown in strength a great deal since that day at the festival.
    Then again, he did relish a challenge. And Viola wasn't the only one with new tricks.

Whistling happily, the cloaked figure set off towards the academy.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #887

Ooh, very interesting Recaiden. Glad to see he has a broader view of what his jobs will create. Also interesting to see him killing people for fun I saw him as an arrogant no-nonsense business type. This ruthless streak makes him a bit more sadistic. Nice work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Hooray for sadism!

19. - Top - End - #889

Not bad, not bad Just caught up reading this story, and I do say, I enjoyed reading it. I only started thinking about writing down mistakes I noticed later in the reading, so I didn't end up doing it Sorry. Maybe at some point I'll re-read and take notes of mistakes I find

Though, I'd like to enter in a character, if I may I'm fine with a paladin character, name Holoc. Power options would be...

1: Electricity (Active)
    2: Speed (Passive)
    3: Surface-thought Telepathy (Passive)
    4: Super-Reflexes (Passive)
    5: Battle-mind (Passive) [Essentially, when working in a group, acts like a hive mind, with everyone performing more efficiently and cooperatively]

20. - Top - End - #890
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Hooray for sadism!
    I'm away for a week or so and what happens I get greeted by this comment!!!!! Interesting!
    Also, I'm loving the character stories- really good reading, nice to see our take on Silver's story/ideas.
    Speaking of which, glad to see the next Chapter is here Silver. been looking forward to it and a nice moment of reflection and quiet character development after the chaotic fights and near death, or actual death, (maybe), in Grimm's case.

I'll probably have a go at writing a chapter when we find out a bit more abou King Lock...heh...I'm a King!

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am liking the story and quest chapters thus far... And I, on my part, hope that Grim's resurrection (if there ever will be one, mind you) will not be done easily. Good heroes demand Great villains, but Grim had his moment and it passed. I am, in the end, rooting for the heroes.

I cannot wait to see what new plot turns Silver has in store for us

Oh, and I happened to listen this whilst reading again through the achieve, and thought it was pretty good music for Paladins in general. Opinions may vary, of course

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    I am liking the story and quest chapters thus far... And I, on my part, hope that Grim's resurrection (if there ever will be one, mind you) will not be done easily. Good heroes demand Great villains, but Grim had his moment and it passed. I am, in the end, rooting for the heroes.

I cannot wait to see what new plot turns Silver has in store for us

Oh, and I happened to listen this whilst reading again through the achieve, and thought it was pretty good music for Paladins in general. Opinions may vary, of course
    Ya, I could hear that as a theme music.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Ya, I could hear that as a theme music.
    Good to know that my taste in music is not always horrible then

Oh, and I found this little tidbit from a game I like rather much. I think it fits into the mindset of the paladins in this story just perfectly:

"And they ask, What is a Hero?
    though the answer is very clear,
    He is the one who faces danger
    when the darkness hovers near.

He will face the fiercest foe
    when another needs his aid,
    He will dare to defy Death
    even though he is afraid,
    He works not just for glory
    and he does it not for gain,
    But because he knows that others
    will be spared a greater pain."

24. - Top - End - #894

I like that, Grim.

Here's another piece that relates well to the paladin, from the opening of The Legend of Luke.

The young must grow old,
    Whilst old ones grow older,
    And cowards will shrink,
    As the bold grow bolder.
    Courage may blossom in quiet hearts,
    For who can tell where bravery starts?
    Truth is a song, oft lying unsung,
    Some mother bird, protecting her young,
    Those who lay down their lives for friends,
    The echo rolls onward, it seldom ends.
    Who never turned and ran, but stayed?
    This is a warrior born, not made!
    Living in peace, aye many a season,
    Calm in life and sound in reason,
    'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
    Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
    The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
    Justice is with us, beware. Beware!
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2011-01-09 at 10:23 PM.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

25. - Top - End - #895
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Interesting quotes. Figure I should add something to continue the trend.

There are many round the world,
    Many who are weak,
    Many who cannot fight for themselves,
    Many who need a hero.
    In every age a hero arises,
    One whose courage is unbound,
    Whose code is the definition of honour,
    Who seeks truth and with wisdom,
    Who through strength of will forges a path
    To salvation.

This hero will fight any foe,
    If he sees wrong that needs corrected.
    They will not cower in fear at what lies before them.
    They will stand above the world in its majesty,
    Decide that it is worth defending,
    They will see those who cry and the wronged,
    And through words and deeds comfort
    When all else turns to dust their names shall still be heard.
    For to them no sacrifice was to great,
    no task to daunting.
    In every age there is a hero,
    In this age is the hero you?

(Ok, you caught me I made that one up :p)
    Once I develop a character worthy of this story and if Silver accepts the character (though I imagine it will be a really, really long time if the character is approved that they will show up due to prior planning and etc.) This quote will be something they would say/write once I come up with a suitable name and decide whether or not to ask for them to be a paladin.

Now on to other matters: Though I don't post often on the forums I wish to say that this is a well done story and is definitely an entertaining read. Plot is developing but with such powerful abilities found in the first arch I can't help but fear that there will be a power creep to insane levels in the future. However, I should not be paranoid so early in the story so I will try to remain hopeful.

As an aside, these Canon and non-canon shorts also adds much to the thread. It is nice to see people make their development and alter other peoples perceptions of some characters, I especially liked the metaphorical way that Blue's was written (props to blue ghost there)
    Last edited by TheDarkblade; 2011-01-11 at 10:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Banned

Would It be ok if I was included in this story, I am unsure as to what I need to say however, could someone please explain this to me, thank you.

27. - Top - End - #897

Quote Originally Posted by xelliea View Post
    Would It be ok if I was included in this story, I am unsure as to what I need to say however, could someone please explain this to me, thank you.
    You just need a name, and possibly who you want your character to be.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #898
    Banned

Thank you, could his name be Habicht? As for my character, could he be about in his late 20s, could he be charasmatic, fast, smart and usally acts before he thinks, however could he be physicly weak and therefore avoids close combat when he can and uses a repeting, light crossbow, he does carry a shortsword though, as for his appearance, he is like the person in gold in my avatar. Is that ok?

Thank you.
    Last edited by xelliea; 2011-01-17 at 04:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899

Besides the fact that I love the story and especially Kurama, that is a DAMN SEXY avatar.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Besides the fact that I love the story and especially Kurama, that is a DAMN SEXY avatar.
    Heh heh heh. Its just perfect for Anime Week.