New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Academy: A Playground Inspired Story

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    No, and why wouldn't Mordokai be in it? He's head of the academy.
    Because he is in the main story all the time. It's a story. It bends to the author, not the other way around.

I am certainly interested in the idea, and would think it would be neat for this who have to wait to get their characters in. Not to mention you might accidentally inspire Silver too. Also you should totally include Kurama in these stories.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

One concern I may have is that we don't know how much Paladin Academy will have changed by the end of the story. Any story that takes place in the future may not mesh well with the direction canon is scheduled to take.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    One concern I may have is that we don't know how much Paladin Academy will have changed by the end of the story. Any story that takes place in the future may not mesh well with the direction canon is scheduled to take.
    Which is why he said non-cannon. I actually like this idea. I'm actually a little unnerved by how obsessed some people seem to be about the next update. This might give me some breather room.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #1024

I suppose non-canon might work. I have an aversion to non-canon, but I'm willing to work withit.
    Then again, this story is already non-canon with regards to the Playground, so...
    Last edited by Blue Ghost; 2011-02-14 at 11:52 PM.

Love wins. S'agapo.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I suppose non-canon might work. I have an aversion to non-canon, but I'm willing to work withit.
    Then again, this story is already non-canon with regards to the Playground, so...
    The Playground HAS a Canon?
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

6. - Top - End - #1026

I believe he is referring to the personalities of the characters in the story compared to the real posters in the playground. THe best examples being how RabbitHoleLost herself said she was not a neat-freak in real life, Kurama doesn't have a crush on Viola, Grim isn't a sociopath, etc.

And yes Silver, I thought since people wanted to see themselves in a story so bad this might allow you to actually right instead of assuring people they will appear eventually.

So Blue, Bis, and Kurama. Still excepting applications, and if you have yet to appear in the story please tell me what your crystal does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    I believe he is referring to the personalities of the characters in the story compared to the real posters in the playground. THe best examples being how RabbitHoleLost herself said she was not a neat-freak in real life, Kurama doesn't have a crush on Viola, Grim isn't a sociopath, etc.

And yes Silver, I thought since people wanted to see themselves in a story so bad this might allow you to actually right instead of assuring people they will appear eventually.

So Blue, Bis, and Kurama. Still excepting applications, and if you have yet to appear in the story please tell me what your crystal does.
    That sounds interesting.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Banned

If it might make people Paladin Academy addiction a little easier to cope with, I'll take 5-10 people and write a non-cannon series set about 5 years in the future. I'll try to stay away from the maincast to allow secondary characters who haven't had alot of attention to shine.

So, Mordokai, Nil, Penny, and Viola won't appear except in reference. Maybe Kurama.

Anyone interested?
    If you want to use my character then that would be great, i also need 2 paladins for my next guest chapter, could someone help me by suggesting who, they don't have to be in the story.
    Last edited by xelliea; 2011-02-15 at 01:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1029

That's what you think.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

:o
    Scandalous!
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

11. - Top - End - #1031

It appears everyone has a crush on Viola. But I assure you, I was there before all of you!
    Well, perhaps with the exception of Recaiden.

Love wins. S'agapo.

12. - Top - End - #1032

So, I decided to post my first draft for a backstory of Ysan. If you like it (especially you Silver) it might improve my odds to appear in the story, if not then it will at least keep the readers busy while the next chapter is being written.
    I'm sorry about the colors, but most of the speech colors are already taken. I just used some that I thought were free, but they're somewhat difficult to make out. The Paladin is supposed to be Nil, I hope I got the color right.
    Speaking of speech color, what would you think about having the cast on the first page written in the person's speech color, the names I mean?

Spoiler
    Show
    The meditation ended. Ysan took his time as the monks of various ages quietly stood up and left the hall, returning to their chores or, as was the case for him, to the bodily exercises. Lined up in the training yard they performed forms, movement after movement repeated so many times their bodies took over their minds and flowed into position without thinking. Sweat was dripping from the young man’s forehead, but he welcomed the exercise as it helped him clear his mind better than any of the meditations the monks were so fond of. Still, this was his life as he’d known it from the beginning, and there wasn’t actually anything bad about it.

The monastery normally wouldn’t take in a child, but they had made an exception for it had been his mother’s last request the monks had told him since he had been too young to remember anything about his life before the monastery. The workers around the monastery who weren’t monks themselves had children themselves and the monks would allow him to play with them so he wouldn’t be lonely. Later, when he’d turn thirteen, he often snuck out and visited the nearby townspeople. He made some friends over there, and although he suspected the monks knew about his endeavors they had decided to turn a blind eye. Only when he had used the temple’s arts to put a bully in his place the head monk had scolded him sternly and now he was to be accompanied by one of the monks if he wanted to leave the
    temple’s grounds.

The men broke up into groups of two for a gentle style of sparring. He found himself pitted against Marcom, one of the brothers, who had been his teachers. The large dark-skinned man easily fended off his advances, leaving him stumbling about, unable to get a hold of that man easily thrice his own age who moved so slow and gently. Finally Ysan’s teacher got a hold of his wrist and gently pressed down on his elbow to lead him in around in a circle and finally to the ground. When Ysan bent his arm to avoid being taken down, the older one just gripped through the crook of his arm, catching his own wrist and gently forcing the young man on his back. Marcom slowly shook his head.

I know, I lost again.

That’s not the point, son, and you know it. We aren’t fighting here. What we’re trying to do is to be one with the other’s movements. This is an exercise of harmony, and you’re making it out to be one of aggression.

You know as well as I that these movements can be used to fight!

And you know as well as I do that exactly that willingness of yours to do so is what has caused all of your recent trouble in the first place, so please just accept that our principles are based on peace, as we’ve been telling you for almost your whole lifetime. the elder calmly remarked before leaving the training yard and Ysan to his thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------

It was only two days later. Ysan was to visit then town together with Oran, a brother who had already reached his seventies, to aid him in making some purchases for the monastery and to carry groceries. They had spent almost all afternoon in town. On the way home, when they passed a narrow alleyway, a yell pierced the air. Ysan jerked, dropping all goods and turning towards the noise. He saw a young man, kneeling and obviously in pain, behind him a girl who desperately shook her clenched fists against a grown man towering the both of them, slowly creeping near. Ysan started out towards the three, but felt a pull on his left sleeve.

Don’t do that again. Leave him to his evils boy, you can’t make him a better person with violence.

I’m content with leaving him, but I’m not leaving those two! I’ll stop that guy!

And then what? Then you’ll leave him angry and humiliated and he’ll take it out on those or others when you’re out of his sight. Are you going to kill him? I don’t think so. We never beat you when you were up to mischief, and we didn’t for a reason.

I’m thankful for that, but you aren’t stopping me now. You did then, without beating me. I’ll try with him. He pulled free his arm. Please. he added in a lower voice.

Swiftly he ran over into the alley, breathing deeply and trying to swallow his anger. It was as if a strange whispering pulled him towards the fight and he walked faster and faster until he came to stand besides the man who thankfully hadn’t yet attacked the girl or boy any further.

Please stop this, Sir, he said with as much calm as he could muster.

The man jerked around, then relaxed when he saw that he was more than a head taller than Ysan.
    None of your business boy, so get lost or ya’ll catch something you won’t like!

Please go home quietly, I won’t let this continue!

You wanna **** me? I’ll take that out of ya, boy! The assailant jumped towards Ysan with his fist outstretched. Anger flared up again, but the young man fought it back. He stepped to the attackers side and made a half turn, deflecting the fist and letting the man run by.

Please leave, I don’t want to fight you! he called again, though now it bordered on a lie. He was aching to teach that guy a lesson, but he didn’t want to betray the old monk and his oath.
    Several times the man tried to strike him, and against all his instincts he always defended himself without hurting the him. Then, panting and sweating, the man pulled a knife. Ysan lost it.

Are you freaking INSANE? he screamed.
    Would you really kill a person over a freaking street brawl?! What kind of person are you, you crazy bastard!

Crazy bastard, eh? I’m gonna show ya how much of a bastard I am!

The man lunged to stab him. It was as if time slowed for a moment, when the strange voice in his head got louder, as if screaming, overpowering him. He didn’t evade this time. He stepped right into the attack, his right arm bent up, while his left guided the knife aside. A shockwave ran through his body when the man collided with him, impaling his chest on the pointing elbow. While the air was knocked out of his opponent, he turned his right arm outstretched in a wide circle around the other’s and brought it down onto the shoulder. The shoulder popped. The noise was so disgusting he felt as if he’d throw up any moment. His strength left him and he let go, taking a few steps back.

You won’t be holding a knife anytime soon! he heard himself say before he stumbled back to Oran, panting and possibly even crying, he didn’t know. He could hardly remember the way back.

---------------------------------------------------------

That guy deserved it! I tried! I tried to resolve it peacefully, I really did. He wouldn’t have it. Better than not resolving it at all, isn’t it?

That’s what you think. The abbot countered. You are young, son. Maybe you just cannot understand how we think of peace and how to achieve it. But you know that we mean well.

I know. Just that’s the only thing you do well! The young man fell silent, terrified by his own aggression.

Sorry, I didn’t mean that. But I had to help, and I don’t regret fighting that man.

So be it then. I cannot stop you from doing what you think is right. That man was a criminal, surely. I can’t say you didn’t do a good thing. But it goes against everything we believe. I release you from the monastery. You are a bright young man, healthy and all, you can even read. With your seventeen summers you are old enough to make a good life for yourself. I’m sure at least some of us will miss you, and maybe your way will lead back to us when you are older. Farewell, first and only child of our monastery. May the god’s blessings be with you.

The next morning Ysan found himself in front of the monastery’s huge stone doors, carrying nothing but the robe he was clad in, a pouch of provisions and some copper coins. Taking his leave had been a painful ordeal. He never had realized how much his teachers had replaced the parents he never knew.
    He took a deep breath, then set out on the road, but a voice from behind stopped him dead in his tracks.

Well, it seems the life of a monk didn’t work out for you, did it?

Obviously. What’s it to you? he unwillingly answered in turning around, adding a …Sir as he noticed the elaborate plate armor and sword the unknown figure was carrying.

I might just be able to suggest a fitting alternative…

But you'll have to learn using a sword you know? We don't do brawls.

Isn't that a little extreme? I mean, killing everybody you fight? That sword looks pretty deadly to me...

Oh, I never thought about it that way. Well, we're good at preserving lives...

By the way, still unsure about the exact nature of fitting paladin powers...
    Last edited by Partysan; 2011-02-16 at 08:52 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Academy: Chapter 2: Part 3
    -Cast-
    Nil
    Mordokai

Spoiler
    Show
    A steady rhythm of footsteps echo across the hallway as a lone man moves through it. He passes a window, where one could see the training grounds of the Academy below. Many dots of people make their way across it, continuing the repair work. The man did not stop to watch and instead continued making his way down the hall. A short while later, he steps in front of a large wooden door. He reaches out to the handle and pulls the door outward. A loud creaking noise was heard as the door protested the movement.

The man stepped through and closed the door behind him. He finds himself in a long, dark spiral staircase descending deep into the earth. He slowly makes his way down deeper and deeper, hearing nothing but his own footsteps. Soon however, he hears another pair of footsteps slowly making their way up to him. Another man appeared around the spiral below him. Suddenly, a glow of yellow-green light filled the darkness, illuminating both of the men.
    "Oh. Its you Mordokai."
    Nil brought the glowing crystal in his hand down to a more comfortable position.
    "What were you doing inside the Crystal Cavern?"

Mordokai looks up at Nil for a moment with weary eyes.
    "I was just checking the status on the crystals."
    He steps up the few steps to pass Nil.
    "And one of them is about to mature."

Nil turns around in suprise.
    "Really? Another is about to hear the call?"

Mordokai nods.
    "Yes. I will be leaving shortly. He appears to be located on the Eastern Continent, so I will be gone for a long while."

Nil hurries to keep up.
    "The Eastern Continent? That's over the Ayden Ocean, being at least a month's travel. Who will run this place when you're gone?

Mordokai stops before a door. Without hesitating, he opens the door and answers Nil.
    "You will."

Nil freezes in place.
    "Wh...? M-Me sir?"

Mordokai stops and looks around.
    "Yes Nil, you. After all, you are the most senior paladin. Only one so far to complete the final test."

Nil was able to recover from his paralysis, but not from his shock. Stepping forward nervously, he addresses Mordokai.
    "Yes, but... for a whole month?"

Mordokai turns and continues down the hallway.
    "Perhaps longer. A trip of this magnitude, one must account for many different mishaps."

Nil hurries forwards.
    "Uh... okay. But is there any sort of instructions I need to follow?"

"That's up to you. You're running the Academy now. I must go and inform the King of my departure."

Mordokai leaves Nil behind in the hallways. Nil just stands there, staring forward. The concept of running the Academy felt so unreal to him. His crystal glows innocently, forgotten in his hand.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-10-30 at 12:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034

Yah! A new chapter. So, the head of the academy will be away. Time for the villians to play.

15. - Top - End - #1035

Obviously I picked a tactically disadvantageous time to post. But how could I have known?
    Nice chapter, by the way. I think it's really interesting how you always shift between past and present tense.
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Oooooh, I wonder what the eastern continent's like, and I wonder who's gonna be the new paladin (it's not my guy unless he decided to make my guest chapters non-canon).
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #1037

Sooo, as soon as you got the time: canon, noncanon, requested alterations?

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Partysan View Post
    Sooo, as soon as you got the time: canon, noncanon, requested alterations?
    We'll see.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Awesome!! I came to post the first chapter of my tale only to discover this!

In honor of being honored to run the academy, I present this as a token of appreciation to Silver.

The Future holds many possibilities, some worse than others

Spoiler
    Show

I miss the sun.

A cold bitter wind raced through the air as Kurama touched his eye-patch, old wounds aching as he moved across the dying landscape. Dark clouds choked out the rays of light that tried to touch the ground, and the land was paying for it. Crops withered, plants weltered, and there was barely enough food to go around for survivors.

It was impossible to imagine that five years ago Kurama was another innocent paladin, fresh faced and unlocking his abilities. He looked at Bis and Blue and was reminded at all that was lost, who was lost....

Viola....she was more than a partner. They would have been married two years now if none of this had happened. And the worst part was, she was dead because of him.

Kurama.

Snapping to attention he looked at Blue, whose once azure robes were now stained with blood, one arm in a makeshift sling.

Memories of the past have cut more men down than any blade. We must move forward in time, or else risk being lost forever.

Fliers, two o'clock.

All else forgotten, the trio rushed together as Blue clumsily drew out a cloak a clock a draped it around them. Covering his ears, Bis braced himself as a sonic wail drowned out all other noise. While loud to most ears Bis risked deafness if not for the sheltering effect of Blue's magic. Two bat-like creatures fly overhead, and no one moved for what seemed an eternity.

That was a close call. But we have to move on, before the vampires return.

While not as amazing as Silver's work, I'll try to fit anyone who wants a part in it. Hope you enjoy it.
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2011-02-17 at 02:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks Nil. That was pretty good. But why would Penny marry Kurama? Wouldn't she be a little young after only 3 years from the present?

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

Hahaha, that gives me the shortest non-canon guest chapter idea ever!

Morodaki
    Nil

Spoiler
    Show
    And Nil,
    Yes Morodaki?
    Dont throw Big parties while im away
    i wont sir.
    Last edited by super dark33; 2011-02-17 at 09:48 AM.
    Despite everything, its still me.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Ooooooo, the cat's away! I hear the sond of villainous mice rubbing their hands...paws?... in glee at the thought of all the partying that can now take place!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

I say Paws, or Ageshifted hands?

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Hahaha, that gives me the shortest non-canon guest chapter idea ever!

Morodaki
    Nil

Spoiler
    Show
    And Nil,
    Yes Morodaki?
    Dont throw Big parties while im away
    i wont sir.
    Now why didn't I think of that?

Obviously I picked a tactically disadvantageous time to post. But how could I have known?
    Nice chapter, by the way. I think it's really interesting how you always shift between past and present tense.
    Ya, I noticed I do that too. While I'm writing it, I don't notice at all. Not until one of you guys points it out, that I actually go back and check. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing.

25. - Top - End - #1045

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Now why didn't I think of that?

Ya, I noticed I do that too. While I'm writing it, I don't notice at all. Not until one of you guys points it out, that I actually go back and check. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing.
    I always assumed you were using it as a stylistic device. In German we call that "scenic present". You are using it a lot, so I thought that's just your style of writing, and if you're doiing it that naturally, it probably is.

Hmm. now that I read my story again it does kinda have some sueish elements. Then again, this is about paladins, so nya.
    Last edited by Partysan; 2011-02-17 at 12:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Thanks Nil. That was pretty good. But why would Penny marry Kurama? Wouldn't she be a little young after only 3 years from the present?
    Fixed, I meant to write Viola. Hopefully this makes more sense. I'll write up more tonight, explaining how this world came to be.

How Super Dark saw through my plans I'll never know.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

I can red minds from time to time
    even Sarudark does1

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

I'm rereading the entire thread, and while doing that I figured out who the new paladin is! On page eight of the thread, partysan lists his character idea, and it's a paladin who was raised in a monastery!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-17 at 04:26 PM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    I'm rereading the entire thread, and while doing that I figured out who the new paladin is! On page eight of the thread, partysan lists his character idea, and it's a paladin who was raised in a monastery!
    Curse you, feeding my hopes that I've been trying to supress
    I think that would be some coincidence, me posting his backstory just one post before that chapter. Though if you're right then it's non-canon, since Mordokai's getting there himself.
    But there're a lot of applicants, so I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Curse you, feeding my hopes that I've been trying to supress
    I think that would be some coincidence, me posting his backstory just one post before that chapter. Though if you're right then it's non-canon, since Mordokai's getting there himself.
    But there're a lot of applicants, so I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much.
    Oh, sorry, didn't notice that, just read it, I still think I'm right though, as he could easily trade out Nil for Mordokai if it was canon.

EDIT: I can all but prove I'm right, check out silver's reaction to your question whether it was canon or not.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-17 at 06:56 PM.
    My Steam profile