New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Looking for a fun prestige class

One of the campaigns I'm currently playing in is a 3.5 campaign that's running Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. We're currently 8th level, and the characters in the party are:

Goliath warblade (me): Focused on massive melee damage with some tanking ability, mostly stone dragon maneuvers. Certainly not a broken character, but definitely min/maxed to a decent degree.
    Whisper Gnome Rogue7/Swordsage1: Also focused on massive melee damage as well as skills/trapfinding. Also min/maxed fairly well.
    Human Cleric/Radiant servant: Mostly a healbot/buffbot, not min/maxed and not interested in it at all.
    Human druid: New player, don't know what she's going to focus on yet, doesn't know enough about the game to know how to min/max yet.
    Human warmage: Also focused on massive damage (not that a warmage has much of a choice), min/maxed a bit.

The issue we're having is that most of the combats we run into are a joke. Fights with things that have a CR 3-4 above our level are generally over in 2-3 rounds. I'm not sure we've ever had a fight last longer than 5 rounds. The DM is trying to adjust things for us, but the whole reason he's running a module is because he doesn't want to have to do too much work between sessions.

Therefore, I'm looking for another class I can take (prestige or otherwise) that won't necessarily gimp my character, but will help broaden his focus away from straight melee damage. I want something fun or cool that'll let me still help the party out in ways that aren't simply 'I smash it for massive damage'. Any suggestions?
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a fun prestige class

Ur Priest?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cancer Mage?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you want to have an easily-accessed prestige that adds stuff while not being overly powerful, you always have Pyrokineticist . Costs all of one feat to enter, doesn't give anything too strong, but hey, you're on fire, which is always cool.

Alternatively, you could get a couple Wizard levels and go for Jade Phoenix Mage, because they get the coolest capstone ability ever, and for the next few levels you'd get some handy low-level utility spells instead of maximizing your damage more.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Stoneblessed (Dwarf) into Battlesmith...
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Drascin has the right idea - if you're getting bored with just martial stuff, mix in another system.

Pyrokineticist
    Incarnum Blade
    Jade Phoenix Mage