New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default druid help: companion advancement

So, I have a druid with a fleshraker companion. At its normal level of 4 hit dice, it has a +3 base attack bonus (average.) It has 2 claw attacks, both at +6 (broken down to +3 BA, +3 Str), a +1 bite and a +1 tail. The attack bonuses for the latter two are, as I understand it, +3 BA, -5 for not having multiattack, +3 Str.

The second time the fleshraker advances it will have 8 hit dice and thus a base attack bonus of +6/+1. Because of the bonus to str/dex and the +1 added to strength at every 4th level, it will have a strength modifier of +5 at this point. So would that mean the creature would have:
    2 claws at a +11 (+6 BA, +5 str), 1 claw +6 (+1 BA, +5 str), 1 bite +9 (+6 BA, -2 mutliattack, +5 str), 1 tail +9 (+6 BA, -2 multiattack, +5 str)

Or am I thinking of this all wrong? I don't need help optimizing his feat selection or anything, I just want to know if I'm breaking things down properly, and if I'm understanding how multiple attacks from the base attack bonuses interact with having multiple natural weapons. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: druid help: companion advancement

Are you even allowed to have a fleshdraker companion?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

If I am remembering my rules correctly, and barring and special ability of the Fleshraker (I know it has a charge+pounce rake in there somewhere), you only get one claw attack at the full BAB, the other is a secondary natural attack just like your bite and tail. Otherwise, it looks good to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    If I am remembering my rules correctly, and barring and special ability of the Fleshraker (I know it has a charge+pounce rake in there somewhere), you only get one claw attack at the full BAB, the other is a secondary natural attack just like your bite and tail. Otherwise, it looks good to me.
    No, both claws are primary attacks. You get those at full BAB, and the bite and tail at -5.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tenieldjo View Post
    So would that mean the creature would have:
    2 claws at a +11 (+6 BA, +5 str), 1 claw +6 (+1 BA, +5 str), 1 bite +9 (+6 BA, -2 mutliattack, +5 str), 1 tail +9 (+6 BA, -2 multiattack, +5 str)
    Bolded where you went wrong. Natural Weapons don't get iterative attacks.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Bolded where you went wrong. Natural Weapons don't get iterative attacks.
    Aaah, thank you. I was unsure of whether or not The 2nd BAB would grant another attack, thanks for clearing that up. Where did you find that? I couldn't nail down a source.

Also, to Osiris, according to mm3, the fleshraker can be an animal companion, considered a -3 to effective druid level for purposes of determining bonus hit dice and such.
    Last edited by tenieldjo; 2010-06-06 at 08:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Yes, but I think he means is the dm allowing it because the fleshraker is really OP with venomfire from serpent kingdoms.
    Last edited by demidracolich; 2010-06-06 at 08:48 PM.
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I was surprised too, but I asked and he said ok. I am well aware of how powerful the combination is :) I haven't abused it though... it's a very "in case of emergency, cast buff" sort of thing.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRangerGuy

Aaah, thank you. I was unsure of whether or not The 2nd BAB would grant another attack, thanks for clearing that up. Where did you find that? I couldn't nail down a source.

Also, to Osiris, according to mm3, the fleshraker can be an animal companion, considered a -3 to effective druid level for purposes of determining bonus hit dice and such.
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. I finally got an answer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Also, don't forget to take Natural Bond from Complete Adventurer, which adds +3 to your effective Druid level but no higher than your character level. Since you can apply your own bonuses and penalties in the most beneficial order, you can apply the -3 for Fleshraker, and then add the +3 for Natural Bond to make your effective level for its benefits equal to your class level.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Natural Weapons - this info is also in the Monster Manual.

"Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons."
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-06-07 at 01:32 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.