New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Idea help!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Idea help!

So, I am considering rebuilding a character in a current game I play. It has been hinted at that we might encounter airships in this game and I plan to pursue this idea with quite a bit of fervor.

I wish to be a Cid knockoff!

More to the point, I want to pursue being an airship captain.

I wish to do so with the following guidelines:

-Arcane caster(not bard)
    -Charisma focused, but not socially so(again, not a bard, as we already have a bard in the group). I plan on investing in Leadership, and using that to segue into building a crew for the airship.
    -Starting out at level 5(that's the level we're playing at the moment).
    -Assume that all 3.5 books are available.

And...that's pretty much it. So far, I'm playing a batman-wizard, but unfortunately, I've come to find that my playstyle doesn't really match the type of mechanical/crunch style that a batman-wizard is focused on. A batman wizard is incredibly boring to play, particularly at lower levels, in my experience.

I would appreciate any assistance in trying to make this possible.

Thanks in advance!
    RD.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Proud owner of a Ceikatar! (Jealous much?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Idea help!

Is this 3.5? If you want a Charisma-based Arcane caster that's not a bard, I think Sorcerer would be the choice for you.

Edit: (I've no idea who 'Cid' is, though the name rings a bell)
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-06-07 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Avast, matey! The Dread Pirate prestige class wants to have a word with you.

If you're getting a COMPLETE rebuild, a high Charisma and strong social skills will make you an effective leader, which suggests classes like bard, sorcerer, cleric, crusader, paladin, warmage, marshall, or carmendine monk. Some of those classes are better than others.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Yeah what Jiriku said. Also think about looking into the stormwrack material. Although specifically made for water based campaigns I am sure with a little bit of imagination and maybe some help from your DM you could make it work to be a better Cid than even Cid was...make sure you go to your local armory and grab yourself a spear too ;) haha
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    Edit: (I've no idea who 'Cid' is, though the name rings a bell)
    Final Fantasy 2 is his origin...

Yes this is 3.5.

I was thinking sorceror or warmage, potentially, but I'm looking for build help and optimization assistance as well. Are there feats I should be taking?
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Proud owner of a Ceikatar! (Jealous much?)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally I think Setzer would be a better rolemodel, but Cid is cool too I guess.

In any case, cha-based arcane caster who builds things and forms teams and captains an airship? Ummm..

Dread Necromancer.

Taking the undead to the roof of the heavens... because when it rains bones, it pours XP.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-06-07 at 12:14 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

If you're going all the way with sorcerer, you can do gruesome mailman builds with hail of stone + arcane fusion + arcane spellsurge + liberal application of metamagic reducers.

If you play a blasting-focused sorcerer or warmage, I am partial to Sculpt spell, Sudden Maximize, and Residual Metamagic. If necromancy is your thing, swap in Black Lore of Moil in place of Sculpt spell.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.