New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Metamagic Vigor & +0 Metamagic Feats [3.5]

Combine Metamagic Vigor (Complete Mage) with a metamagic feat that doesn't change the spell's level but can be applied to all your spells (Cooperative Spell comes to mind). Now, in each encounter, all your spells after the first one are cast at +1 CL.

Sprinkle a few other metamagic feats in there (let's say you've prepared some spells with Empower Spell), and as long as you cast a spell in the round before, the second spell gets +1 DC.

+1 CL on almost all spells or +1 DC when you want it is fairly useful, but probably not worth two feats. So, this is mostly a trick for Mages of the Arcane Order, who have the (otherwise absolutely useless) Cooperative Spell as a prequisite.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-06-08 at 03:51 PM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: A Handy Trick with Metamagic Vigor [3.5]

If you have the feats to blow, sure, but it's often much more cost effective to just buy an orange ioun stone than blowing the much rarer resource that is a feat slot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    If you have the feats to blow, sure, but it's often much more cost effective to just buy an orange ioun stone than blowing the much rarer resource that is a feat slot.
    No reason you can't do both, and if you really must have that +1 CL or +1 DC then it might be what you want. Mind you there are several other feats I'd want aheead of this one, if that was my objective.
    Sounds like another good use for Invisible Spell [+0 metamagic feat]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    No reason you can't do both, and if you really must have that +1 CL or +1 DC then it might be what you want. Mind you there are several other feats I'd want aheead of this one, if that was my objective.
    Sounds like another good use for Invisible Spell [+0 metamagic feat]
    Where's Invisible Spell from? I can't find it. The only other +0 MM feats I could think of were Sanctum Spell, Energy Substitution, Black Lore of Moil, and the Sudden [] line, but all of those have drawbacks or can't be applied to all your spells.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    Where's Invisible Spell from? I can't find it. The only other +0 MM feats I could think of were Sanctum Spell, Energy Substitution, Black Lore of Moil, and the Sudden [] line, but all of those have drawbacks or can't be applied to all your spells.
    Cityscape, and it's borderline broken for +0 metamagic even without the potential for metamagic reducer abuse.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2010-06-08 at 03:59 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Default Re: Metamagic Vigor & +0 Metamagic Feats [3.5]

Lord of the Uttercold has no spell level adjustment. Seeing as Black Lore of Moil and Lord of the Uttercold fit together well thematically as well as mechanically, taking Metamagic Vigor plus those two applied to all of your spells seems like a not-half-bad plan.