New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Converting face/reach from 3.0

A monster in a D&D 3.0 source book is a Large animal with a face/reach of 5' by 5'/10'.

I am converting said monster to 3.5/PF and wonder how to deal with this. Should I:

1. Keep the space as 5'x5' and the reach as 10', as a special exception?
    2. Increase the space to 10x10', with a reach of 10', as is standard for 3.5 Large monsters?
    3. Increase the space to 10'x10', but drop the reach to 5', so its effective reach is the same?
    4. Some other solution?

I don't want to have a "Large" creature that is only a single 5' square, but if I bump it to a 10' space and leave its reach at 10' its threatened area grows quite a bit. It is being used as an animal companion so the decision will have long-term consequences from one session to the next. Please advise.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Converting face/reach from 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    A monster in a D&D 3.0 source book is a Large animal with a face/reach of 5' by 5'/10'.

I am converting said monster to 3.5/PF and wonder how to deal with this. Should I:

1. Keep the space as 5'x5' and the reach as 10', as a special exception?
    2. Increase the space to 10x10', with a reach of 10', as is standard for 3.5 Large monsters?
    3. Increase the space to 10'x10', but drop the reach to 5', so its effective reach is the same?
    4. Some other solution?

I don't want to have a "Large" creature that is only a single 5' square, but if I bump it to a 10' space and leave its reach at 10' its threatened area grows quite a bit. It is being used as an animal companion so the decision will have long-term consequences from one session to the next. Please advise.
    Keep it as is. 3.5 already does that sort of exceptions every now and then; it was an exception in 3.0 and should carry over to 3.5 just fine. Unless it's 5'/10' creature with 5' reach? 'cause that'd translate into Large Long.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3

Give it spiked chains for arms, everyone will understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Keep it as is. 3.5 already does that sort of exceptions every now and then; it was an exception in 3.0 and should carry over to 3.5 just fine. Unless it's 5'/10' creature with 5' reach? 'cause that'd translate into Large Long.
    Would you let a Medium creature ride this 5'x5' Large creature?
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Would you let a Medium creature ride this 5'x5' Large creature?
    As long as it claims to be Large, I would. Don't really see a reason not to.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

One other question for you guys, for a Large creature with 10' reach on its natural weapons, is its reach inclusive (like a spiked chain) or specific (like a long spear)?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Inclusive. Long arms means you can smack someone close to you as well as farther away.

Assuming it has arms. Unless it doesn't have joints or something, it should be fine.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Inclusive. Long arms means you can smack someone close to you as well as farther away.

Assuming it has arms. Unless it doesn't have joints or something, it should be fine.
    Great. Thanks guys!!