New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default 4e Ranged Combat Advantage

I'm currently running a 4e game, and several creatures do more damage with their ranged attacks when they have combat advantage, yet it seems really hard to get it at range.

Any suggestions?

A related question: if I grapple one of the PCs they are considered immobilized, but not restrained? In this case does restrained basically mean tied up?

Thanks!
    Custom Avatar courtesy of Beholder1995!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e Ranged Combat Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by archmage45 View Post
    I'm currently running a 4e game, and several creatures do more damage with their ranged attacks when they have combat advantage, yet it seems really hard to get it at range.

Any suggestions?

A related question: if I grapple one of the PCs they are considered immobilized, but not restrained? In this case does restrained basically mean tied up?

Thanks!
    I believe grappled is restrained, not immobilized.

You combine those enemies with enemies that cause status effects that grant CA, like dazed.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Grappled (or grabbed) is just immobilize. What you need are creatures that stun/dominate/daze/blind.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

There's also a slew of powers that make enemies grant combat advantage (I think Bards have a power that does it at-will)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    There's also a slew of powers that make enemies grant combat advantage (I think Bards have a power that does it at-will)
    Bards are generally not siding with the monsters.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I believe you also get CA if you strike from full concealment. Invisibility or striking from darkness will do the trick (particularly if the PCs are standing near a light source, and the opponent is well outside the range of illumination).