New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default MWF Ranger- Help

Okay, so I'm building a ranger for a race with more than 2 arms with the TWF combat style, but my DM is letting me use MWF in place of TWF since they have more than two hands. He's also letting me take reflavored versions of certain feats that normally apply to TWF so that they apply to MWF. We've got a few problems, though. Namely, we can't find a good race. There's a Thri-Kreen variant with 1 LA which would be good if I or my DM could find out what it's abilities and stuff are. Alternately, point me to another race that has ≥3 hands with ≤1 LA. RHD matters less, though. Thanks!

Edit: Well, yeah, I know, but neither I nor my DM have MM2. We use the SRD plus whatever we know of from other sources (Nobody abuses it too much, our party is pretty fair that way). For instance, I'm taking a feat that lets you use onehanded weapons when TWF'ing with only the penalties taken with light weapons. So, do you have the stats for the Thri-Kreen from MM2?
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-06-11 at 03:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: MWF Ranger- Help

LA +1 non-psionic Thri-Kreen is in MM2.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

To my knowledge no race with multiple arms has no LA. It's one of those things wizards of the coast were reluctant to give out freely. Your best bet may be to take an existing LA+1 race, then work with your DM to see what you can do about lowering it.

Edit: And Thri-Keen are also in the SRD. They're under Psionic Races.
    Last edited by Nero24200; 2010-06-11 at 03:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

That symbol there? It means EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN one.

Also, does anyone know the rules for wielding, say, 2 greatswords? If I can do that, *drools at 2 Power Attack combos*...

Edit: Umm... exactly where in the Psionic Rules are they?
    Last edited by Lateral; 2010-06-11 at 03:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nero24200 View Post
    Edit: And Thri-Keen are also in the SRD. They're under Psionic Races.
    No, they joined the "Intellectual Property" club with Mind Flayers, Beholders, and so forth. No SRD stats for these blokes.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    No, they joined the "Intellectual Property" club with Mind Flayers, Beholders, and so forth. No SRD stats for these blokes.
    The Psionic stats are LA +2 anyways; you'll want the ones in MM2.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Here ya go. all the options I can find.

Thri-Kreens got a racial class in Complete Psionic.

I think I've seen another critter with four arms in Eberron. Some for of goblin I think.

In MM1 one of the sea folk get the option to have four Arms.

Two Levels of Totemist and the Girallon Arms Soulmeld will get you four arms (From the book Magic of Incarnum)

I tried to home brew a four armed race once, but it was full of suck and fail.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Dolgrim from Eberron campaign setting is what you're thinking of. It's a small sized aberration. +2 LA with no racial HD +2 str +2 dex, -2 int -2 cha. 4 arms. some nice abilities. DR 5/special substance. Can make one offhand attack without penalty and get a bonus to will saves.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral Master View Post
    Okay, so I'm building a ranger for a race with more than 2 arms with the TWF combat style, but my DM is letting me use MWF in place of TWF since they have more than two hands.
    Actually, no special DM dispensation is required; this is the way it's supposed to work, by the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiweapon Fighting
    Special: This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for all these 4-armed races/classes. However, I'm only looking for races, not classes that grant 4 arms. Also, does anyone have, I dunno, STATS for them? Dolgrim doesn't work, it's Chaotic Evil, an aberration... and DAMN ugly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Dolgrim doesn't work, it's Chaotic Evil, an aberration... and DAMN ugly.
    Just Refluff it. Make it a monsterous humanoid that looks diffrent
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

You could use a four-armed sahuagin. 2 RHD, +3 LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anything with the Dragonblood subtype (my preference is variant kobold) + Dragon Tail feat (Races of the Dragon) + Prehensile Tail feat (Serpent Kingdoms) = LA 0 race with 2 arms, a tail that functions as an arm, and potentially two claws and a bite.

You can also pull it off with the Dragon Tail soulmeld + Prehensile Tail feat, but magic and psionics can mess with soulmelds, and you need an essentia pool (ie, Totemist, Incarnate, incarnum race, or burn another feat).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, so I'm building a ranger for a race with more than 2 arms with the TWF combat style, but my DM is letting me use MWF in place of TWF since they have more than two hands. He's also letting me take reflavored versions of certain feats that normally apply to TWF so that they apply to MWF. We've got a few problems, though. Namely, we can't find a good race. There's a Thri-Kreen variant with 1 LA which would be good if I or my DM could find out what it's abilities and stuff are. Alternately, point me to another race that has ≥3 hands with ≤1 LA. RHD matters less, though. Thanks!

Edit: Well, yeah, I know, but neither I nor my DM have MM2. We use the SRD plus whatever we know of from other sources (Nobody abuses it too much, our party is pretty fair that way). For instance, I'm taking a feat that lets you use onehanded weapons when TWF'ing with only the penalties taken with light weapons. So, do you have the stats for the Thri-Kreen from MM2?
    Homebrew a shokan! No one is cooler than Goro from Mortal Kombat!
    except most everyone from Mortal Kombat lol
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

My Improved Fighter Variant