New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default List of Personality types for specific alignments

Does anyone have a list of personality types that could correspond to specific alignments. My players are all almost all the same personality just following the alignment to a dot.

Thanks for the help.
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

My Improved Fighter Variant

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: List of Personality types for specific alignments

Champions of Ruin has a list of "evil tropes" which can manifest as different personalities.

A villain who feels it is Better To Reign In Hell, is a very different one than a villain who believes that I Am Not Evil, or one who is Driven To Evil.

Exemplars of Evil lists a few personality traits, and mentions what alignments some of them tend to be associated with.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) has a dimension for measuring Evil...

Maybe you could assign alignments to Jungian archetypes? But those aren't really personalities. Or you could familiarize yourself with the MBTI dimensions, then add a measure for Evil/Good and Chaotic/Lawfulness.

"Hey guys! This online test tells me I'm an ENFPCG... and that I should seek a career as a teacher, a counselor or a bard..."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2010-06-11 at 04:03 PM.
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personality and alignment are two quite different metrics.

Someone can be easy to get along with, loyal to their friends, and constantly cracking jokes and still be a very solid Evil. After all, their personality doesn't conflict with them murdering authority figures because they don't like getting bossed around (Chaotic Evil), nor does it conflict with them rising up the ranks of a political body through merciless sabotage (Lawful Evil). On the flipside of the coin, being a spiteful jerk does not prevent you from being good.

While both alignment and personalities are ways of labeling sets of behaviors, alignment describes belief system more than mannerism.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    I don't think MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) has a dimension for measuring Evil...
    Pretty sure it only tests for mental disorders, not personality types.

I can see Myers-Briggs maybe working, with judging being lawful and feeling being chaotic and that kind of thing.

But I think you're looking in the wrong direction. You want reasons, not personality types.

A man kills an unarmed man. Does he do it
    1) Because he delights in killing
    2) Because he is taking vengeance for a personal slight
    3) Because he is taking vengeance for an evil act
    4) Because the unarmed man would be a threat in the future
    5) Because he is overcome by berserker rage and can't stop himself
    etc

Killing an unarmed man is generally an evil act, and one that certainly someone of evil alignment can and would do. But just because it's an evil act and they're an evil character doesn't mean there's only one reason for it.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

I don't think personality types fit into alignment categories. Some might be more common as one type, but a LG person could still be cruel and prejudiced without affecting his alignment.

Alignments, in reality, are a VERY subjective thing. As far as D&D goes, they're actually defined in the BoED and BoVD with regards to actions rather well for gameplay sake.
    "What kind of men are these against whom you have brought us to fight? Men who do not compete for money, but for honor" -- Herodotus, VIII, 26

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    Pretty sure it only tests for mental disorders, not personality types.

I can see Myers-Briggs maybe working, with judging being lawful and feeling being chaotic and that kind of thing.
    The MMPI tests for enduring personality traits as well as the emotional state of the test taker at the time. You can even compare different dimensions of the test to see how nervous the test taker was. And while it's a useful diagnostic tool, it most certainly doesn't just test for disorders. Also it kind of has Personality Inventory in the name. Now, the Antisocial measure in the MMPI would be a pretty good indicator of someone's Lawful/Chaotic inclination.

And the last 3 dimensions of the MBTI indicate how people take in, process and act on information and really has nothing to do with how submissive, obedient, rebellious, free spirited or whacky people are. Now, while some types (all 4 letters together) tend to have different feelings about authority and convention (INTJ comes to mind), we're talking about the interplay of four different dimensions of personality all coming together rather than just one, clear cut aspect of someone's personality.

Now, while I don't have anything insightful to add about PCs and personality, you can certainly spice up NPCs by reading up on different personality disorders.

Probably best to just think of the 2 dimensional D&D alignments as just that; simply 2 dimensions of a character and not the total package of who a character is.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2010-06-11 at 05:00 PM.
    I apologize for drawing CockroachTeaParty as a winged centaur.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    The MMPI tests for enduring personality traits as well as the emotional state of the test taker at the time. You can even compare different dimensions of the test to see how nervous the test taker was. And while it's a useful diagnostic tool, it most certainly doesn't just test for disorders. Also it kind of has Personality Inventory in the name. Now, the Antisocial measure in the MMPI would be a pretty good indicator of someone's Lawful/Chaotic inclination.
    My mistake. I've only ever been given the "are you a danger to yourself or others" part of it and only ever in combination with more general tests, so I assumed that that was all it could handle. (No, I have no idea why that happened, either.)
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some good tips thank you all
    But i remembered in my AD&D DMG There is random generation table for personalities and traits for NPCS, I sat with my first player and he chose well.
    Jabu Moondust level 5 Cleric of Dionysus Chaotic Neutral
    Sanity: Neurotic
    Tendencies: Helpful/kind, violent/warlike, foul/barbaric, Obsessive/fanatical, Practical joker/prankster, (I know helpful kind conflicts all of them, but he will base this on individual disposition of each person he meats.)
    Personality: Rash/reckless
    General Disposition: Cheerful
    Intellect: Dreaming
    Nature:Unforgiving
    Materialism:Average
    Honesty: Deceitful
    Bravery: Foolhardy
    Energy: Energetic
    Thrift: Average
    Morals:Lusty
    Piety: PIous to Zealot/Martyr
    Iterests: Religeon, wine and spirits, food and preperation, gambling, collecting high quality flasks goblets bottles or any containers for alchohol, and also collecting coins

Dionysus is the god of wine and has two side of a coin. THe plesure side and the madness side. Clerics must try to reprecent this in their personalities
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Champions of Ruin has a list of "evil tropes" which can manifest as different personalities.

A villain who feels it is Better To Reign In Hell, is a very different one than a villain who believes that I Am Not Evil, or one who is Driven To Evil.

Exemplars of Evil lists a few personality traits, and mentions what alignments some of them tend to be associated with.
    CoR doesn't get nearly enough press for that section, which I find very useful and sanely written.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Second CHaracter chose over the phone
    Madi Level 5 human wizard - Summoner specialty Chaotic good after 2 alignment changes from neutral to evil then to good.
    Sanity: Normal
    Tenancies: Optimistic, studious, kind/helpful
    Personality: Friendly
    Nature:Hardhearted
    Materialism: Intellectual (Knowledge is Power)
    Honesty: Liar
    Bravery: Foolhardy (I said ok vince so are you sure that if you have 1hp and you're fighting Asmodeus you won't run? he replied HELL NO!)
    Energy: Driven
    Thrifty:average
    Morals: Virtuous
    Piety: Reverent
    Interests: Exotic animals, legends, history

If anyone would like these tables I'd be happy to scan them and post them. Just ask i have found them to be uber helpful

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Personality does not relate to Alignment. At all.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-06-11 at 06:43 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Personality does not relate to Alignment. At all.
    Sure they can be drastically different but generally i think personalities can and often do conform to a specific alignment.

Also that's not the point of this thread Killian, the point of this thread is to help teach new players the difference between the two.
    My players kind of see their alignment as their personality, basing their characters on basically being outspoken against the government whenever possible but when i comes to other issues they don't care.
    I wanted help fleshing them all out

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm just saying that your players should come up with a personality for their characters. The characters also have an Alignment, but it has no effect on personality. Just tell them to make up whatever personality they want. LG can be jerks and CE can be nice to kittens.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I'm just saying that your players should come up with a personality for their characters. The characters also have an Alignment, but it has no effect on personality. Just tell them to make up whatever personality they want. LG can be jerks and CE can be nice to kittens.
    I agree, but i think they have trouble grasping that concept

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeromyre View Post
    I agree, but i think they have trouble grasping that concept
    Run a mini game with no alignment. Make them come up with characters without having to think within the matrix.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Run a mini game with no alignment. Make them come up with characters without having to think within the matrix.
    Thats an interesting idea
    I might do that when this campaign is over

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

What, no one told you? With D&D's alignment system, you can have only 9 types of personality.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    What, no one told you? With D&D's alignment system, you can have only 9 types of personality.

hahahaha after 10 years of experience i can't believe no one told me that!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    CoR doesn't get nearly enough press for that section, which I find very useful and sanely written.
    I agree, but every time I bring it up, I get told "It's not core- therefore irrelevant"

When it comes to alignment, there are a lot of splatbooks out there that make it more subtle and interesting that the PHB- and allow for characters who believe they are one alignment when they are actually another, as per "I Am Not Evil" in CoR.

The game designers have tended to make quite a few such NPCs- Gareth Cormaeril in Waterdeep City of Splendours, Michael Ambrose in Tome of Magic, Calais Archwinter in Exemplars of Evil, and so on.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele