New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default How does one make the fastest character...ever!(3.5)

That is the question. Minimal cheese please--ideally the speed would always be in effect, bonus points for alternate forms of movement(flight, burrow, etc.). Preferably not a spellcaster primarily(obviously they can do anything).

It seems rather interesting for a potential hit-and-run-very-far-very-fast melee character, which is kind of what I'm looking for.

So...any ideas?

(I know, blame the optimizing speed thread for this )

Edit: all of 3.5 is open to you. If there's any helpful(and well-thought) homebrewed/third party, feel free to mention it.
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-06-11 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: How does one make the fastest character...ever!(3.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    That is the question. Minimal cheese please--ideally the speed would always be in effect, bonus points for alternate forms of movement(flight, burrow, etc.). Preferably not a spellcaster primarily(obviously they can do anything).

It seems rather interesting for a potential hit-and-run-very-far-very-fast melee character, which is kind of what I'm looking for.

So...any ideas?

(I know, blame the optimizing speed thread for this )

Edit: all of 3.5 is open to you. If there's any helpful(and well-thought) homebrewed/third party, feel free to mention it.
    Well, there's always Chuck E. Cheese but it's all in the name, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Asheram; 2010-06-11 at 05:47 PM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

*looks over build* Wow....that's....ridiculous. lol. It'd be awesome to play...but wow!

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Slightly less ridiculous. Chuck can't actually break the speed of light anymore, since Footsteps of the Divine got Errated to be (D). He's just absurdly fast now instead of lucicrously fast.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I like a Centaur Barbarian/Scout/Horizon Walker. Why? Centaurs are quick, Barb/Scout gives movement benefits, and Horizon Walker gives you Dim Door once every 1d4 rounds, which can cover immense distances in a leap. It lets you break up your running with large jumps. It's not the best (not Chuck after all), but it is quick.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Still, I'm looking for something I could actually play without my DM hitting me with 3d10 books. Something mundane:

like in the other thread, I think it was mentioned monk 3/scout 3/barabarian 1 all give speed boosts. Assuming they stack, I guess that would be a (rather mediocre) start to a build. Maybe take the run feat? I think someone once mentioned being able to break up your movement score using a feat or something(i.e. move in, attack, move out in a round). Anybody know where I could find that?

Edit: @arguskos Hmmmm...not a bad idea. Centaurs are a...LA +1? or +2?
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-06-11 at 06:09 PM.

Results

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think it was mentioned monk 3/scout 3/barabarian 1 all give speed boosts. Assuming they stack
    They don't stack, because both Monk and Scout fast movement are enhancement bonuses.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    They don't stack, because both Monk and Scout fast movement are enhancement bonuses.
    You're killin' me smalls.

Results

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Human Cleric 1/Barbarian 1 with the Quick Trait and Celerity domain can have 60ft base speed at lvl 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You can boost your base speed quite a bit with Alter Self. The Varag (Monster Manual IV, pages 168-171) is only 3 HD but has a base speed of 60'. Then you add Quick, the Celerity domain, and whatnot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hafgan View Post
    Human Cleric 1/Barbarian 1 with the Quick Trait and Celerity domain can have 60ft base speed at lvl 2
    hmmm...that's a nice start. I suppose some clerical persisting wouldn't be too bad if it helped. Bleh. I'd rather avoid going down that route. If I ever tried a character like this, I think a cleric would be in the group already.

So...cleric 1/Barb 1.....Scout 3? Maybe as a Centaur? What does that add up to?

Edit: Already tried the later self route for changing into things--DM is kinda tight-fisted with using that power so that's out. Maybe I could take a LA creature/template for extra speed though(ie centaur)
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-06-11 at 06:28 PM.

Results

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The Shadow Template increases your speed by 50%, rather than a specific amount. This doesn't include speed boosts from classes, but simply add it to the fastest race you know and Bam!

Seems to apply to all movement modes, as well. An Air Elemental with the template would be able to fly at 150 feet, for example.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2010-06-11 at 06:34 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

Still, I'm looking for something I could actually play without my DM hitting me with 3d10 books. Something mundane:

like in the other thread, I think it was mentioned monk 3/scout 3/barabarian 1 all give speed boosts. Assuming they stack, I guess that would be a (rather mediocre) start to a build. Maybe take the run feat? I think someone once mentioned being able to break up your movement score using a feat or something(i.e. move in, attack, move out in a round). Anybody know where I could find that?

Edit: @arguskos Hmmmm...not a bad idea. Centaurs are a...LA +1? or +2?
    spring attack, but remember one attack, not full. This is phb fyi (yeay abreviations!)
    Last edited by RandomNPC; 2010-06-11 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@ Starscream What's the LA on a shadow template? That sounds nice, but I'll have to find the lowest LA with fastest base speed creature I can(looked up centaur and +2 for 50 base seems weak[not to mention no alternate movement forms])

Spring Attack! Cool, thanks. What book is that?

Results

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Starscream What's the LA on a shadow template? That sounds nice, but I'll have to find the lowest LA with fastest base speed creature I can(looked up centaur and +2 for 50 base seems weak[not to mention no alternate movement forms])

Spring Attack! Cool, thanks. What book is that?
    It's a +2 template. I'm playing a rogue with it right now. Fun template.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmmm....a +2 hurts. I may have to try for a +0 race then so I'm not totally a pile of suck if this was to work.

Results

17. - Top - End - #17

Centaur would cost you 4 racial HD and +2 LA, a total of 6 class levels, for +20ft. base speed. Not a good tradeoff.

I'd go Shadow Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Scout 3/Ranger 14, with the Quick trait and focus on archery. You'll have a base speed of (30+10+10)x1.5+10=85ft./round, at level 5. Take pure Ranger after that and get the Swift Hunter feat at level 6, for delicious Manyshot Skirmish shenanigans.

Expeditious Retreat will be your Domain spell from the Celerity domain, overlapping with Scout for a movement speed of 105ft.

18. - Top - End - #18

I believe the Freedom Mantle for Ardents also gives an untyped +10 ft. bonus to base land speed.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Where's this Shadow thing from? I looked it up online and it said it was an LA+3, not two. Different shadows maybe? I like the idea of pushing for Ranger, and I could probably take the quickness trait for another +10...

Results

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Centaur would cost you 4 racial HD and +2 LA, a total of 6 class levels, for +20ft. base speed. Not a good tradeoff.
    Varag is slightly better: 3 racial HD and +2 LA, for +30' base speed. Also Run as a racial bonus feat.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2010-06-11 at 06:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Does having a mount count ?

Wildshaping Ranger ?

Lycanthropy ?

How about a Marshal cohort - Grant Move Action 1/day/4 levels ?
    Oh and Major Aura-Motivate Urgancy

Fiend of Possession
    Become Ethereal at will.
    Possess an arrow, get someone to fire you.

Favoured Soul (or several other classes/PrCs)
    Wings

Warlock - Fell Flight

Templates - I guess you could stack several of these
    Half Fiend, Lemorian - Fly at Base Move
    Half Dragon(if Large), Half Fey - fly at twice Base Move
    Half Janni - Planer Jaunt
    Half Raksghasa, Half Minotaur, Half Ogre +10 move
    Air Elemental Creature - Fly 100
    Wendigo - Fly 120
    Shadow Creature - +50% Movement
    Arachnoid - Climb at half base

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Blah. Races don't seem to show much love for a better base speed.

Edit: Oh wow. That's quite a list.

I like shadow, but if it's +3 I don't think I'd bother. If warlock could be blended in for flying that would be interesting. I would still like to be able to zip in and out of combat, but I like Warlocks so I could settle. I think those other templates would really hurt in terms of LA/HDs though.
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-06-11 at 06:46 PM.

Results

23. - Top - End - #23

Where's this Shadow thing from? I looked it up online and it said it was an LA+3, not two. Different shadows maybe? I like the idea of pushing for Ranger, and I could probably take the quickness trait for another +10...
    It's printed in Lords of Madness, a LA+2 template. You get some other nice HD-dependent goodies as you level up (Cold Resistant, Fast Healing, DR/Magic), but the real kicker is Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight whenever you're not exposed to natural daylight.

Quick is already included in the 85ft. calculations.
    Varag is slightly better: 3 racial HD and +2 LA, for +30' base speed.
    True, but we're sacrificing a lot of class levels at that point. The Shadow Human with Quick and Celerity domain has a unmodified speed of 75ft by sacrificing 2 class levels. A Shadow Varag with Quick and Celerity domain would have a unmodified speed of 120ft, but at the cost of 7 class levels. I'd rather keep the Ranger levels to ensure getting over +16 BAB.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-06-11 at 06:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmmm...would a dip of Barbarian 1 work for another +10 that way? Plus rage is nice. :D

Results

25. - Top - End - #25

Nope, it won't stack with the Scout movement boost. Since you'll be Archery-focused, you won't need the Pounce ACF, and Rage only helps if you take Whirling Frenzy, which isn't really necessary, and counterproductive to movement. Better to stick with Ranger levels, since 17 combined levels of Scout and Ranger will get you 4 Favored enemies and +5d6/+4 AC Skirmish.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-06-11 at 06:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

These non-stackable land speed things are quite the nuisance. What about the ratite race? http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beastfo...283.5e_Race%29 It has a base land speed of 40--giving an effective +15 base land speed(thanks to shadow). It'd be another +1 LA though.

Results

27. - Top - End - #27

That's homebrew. Homebrew is icky. It'd also cost you that precious +1d6 skirmish damage from having 17 Ranger/Scout levels, which is probably worth more than another 15ft. of speed.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-06-11 at 06:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh. Whoops. Well....dang :/

Results

29. - Top - End - #29

Honestly, over 100ft. of movement/round with only Expeditious Retreat should be all you need for actual combat. Much more and it's just a thought exercise, where Chuck E. Cheese has you beat already.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmmm...I suppose you're right. That doesn't seem too bad either. I know rangers aren't great, but I'd like an archer--and an archer that's fast would be pretty cool. Any ranger prestige classes worth branching into?

Results