New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Summoning Fun

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Summoning Fun

Okay, friend of mine is wanting to run a Druid which is relatively low on the power scale so that he doesn't completely outshine the rest of the party.

So he's going to go Nature Summoning crazy.

I know about Augment Summoning and Cloudy Conjuration. Are there any other feats which would be good for a summoning-focused druid?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Summoning Fun

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Okay, friend of mine is wanting to run a Druid which is relatively low on the power scale so that he doesn't completely outshine the rest of the party.

So he's going to go Nature Summoning crazy.

I know about Augment Summoning and Cloudy Conjuration. Are there any other feats which would be good for a summoning-focused druid?
    Definitely. First:
    Greenbound Summoning [Lost Empires of Faerun] - Early levels, this is unbeatable. Cast Speak with Plants and you'll have Entangle-casters in addition to incredible fighters. Shines for about levels 1-10.
    Ashbound [Eberron Campaign Settings] - Doubles Summon-duration and gives 'em a handy +3 Luck to Hit; absolutely stellar on low levels when duration is an issue; should be a level 1 feat if possible.
    Rashemi Elemental Summoning [Unapproachable East] - Incredible on the higher levels; the Elementals have awesome SLAs and overall, this just rocks but only around ~9+.

Some of those. Then:
    Rapid Spell [Complete Divine] - You need this to Summon as a standard action (and to be able to Quicken your Summons). This is Adjustment +1, but get Ring of the Beast [Complete Champion] and your summons will count as one level higher to the maximum of the max level you can cast, effectively freely getting rid of the +1 Level Adjustment.
    Imbued Summoning [Player's Handbook II] - Handy +1 Adjustment Metamagic for free buff to your summons; with Metamagic School Focus [Complete Mage] to rid of you the adjustment 3/day, it's quite good (Venomfire [Serpent Kingdom] as an automatic buff for example...incredible with Poison-using creatures).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Beckon the Frozen [Frostburn] is a handy +1d6 damage for all your summons. Just be careful with especially Greenbound and Rashemi Elemental that you don't make them too strong.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-06-11 at 09:56 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Summoning Fun

Greenbound Summoning (LEoF) and Rashemi Elemental Summoning (UE) are worth consideration.

Edit: Ninja'd.
    Last edited by Private-Prinny; 2010-06-11 at 09:55 PM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."