New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5] Duskblade BBEG

Hey playgrounders, me again

yet another question for my campaign, this ones a little shorter...

basically, i was thinking of Duskblade as the class for my BBEG, he's human, nothin exotic race wise... however im thinking that this class may lack power and im lookin for reasons to keep it as his class or other classes he could change to, references to source books would be very helpful if you do suggest one

and BTW, in terms of soloing the party, lets just say theres a big kinda party vs party bit with BBEG in opposing one, then some major 'summon some awesome forbidden powers' ensues (not exactly like that obviously) so he becomes powerful enough to solo them so just a nice class will be appreciated

thanks again guys
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Elf Paladin was made by BRC

Dwarf Barbarian made by Silversnowe

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 93: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Duskblade BBEG

First of all, listing the party would help a lot in considering how to build him. Level would be nice too.

Also, have you read the Duskblade Handbook?
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Duskblade's are burst-damage dealers, meaning, they can dish out a lot of damage in a short amount of time, perhaps, even one-shotting someone, so I doubt this is what you want to do. Perhaps, a Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion/Spellsword would be a better idea? Or, if you're dead set on Duskblade, make him a spiked-chain tripping type instead, still a challenge, but not enough focused on burst damaging.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Duskblade's are burst-damage dealers, meaning, they can dish out a lot of damage in a short amount of time, perhaps, even one-shotting someone, so I doubt this is what you want to do.
    And if you give him Arcane Strike, he can theoretically OHKO the entire party in a single turn (assuming they're all in reach). Fun.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    And if you give him Arcane Strike, he can theoretically OHKO the entire party in a single turn (assuming they're all in reach). Fun.
    My point exactly.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

First of all, listing the party would help a lot in considering how to build him. Level would be nice too.

Also, have you read the Duskblade Handbook?
    indeed i am currently looking at it giving it a read through to determine effectiveness

ah and ok, we havent actually started yet and im just tryin to plan ahead but i have got almost everyones classes and races so far, and their higher level plans, here goes:
    - Derro rogue, he's still looking for a prestige that he likes
    - Kobold bard, he later plans to prestige to swashbuckler
    - Draconic human Cleric of Tiamat, he later plans to prestige to dracolyte
    - Fighter, that is all im aware of so far, she said she wanted to be super evil and be a fighter... sorry :P
    - Human sorcerer, he's not informed of any future plans yet however

for this BBEG he wont be fighting them much except for at higher levels though he does appear beforehand, so yeah
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 93: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

and lol, maybe not

could you give me references for where i can find those classes please?
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flail_master View Post
    and lol, maybe not

Spellsword is in Complete Warrior. You only want to take a single level here. Abjurant Champion is in Complete Mage.

The best way to build him would be something like this:

Paladin of Tyranny 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight +X

Homebrew an evil version of Greater Luminous Armor from BoED, and give him various defensive spells like Shield, Resist Energy, etc. With Divine Grace and Abjurant Champion, he should be basically invulnerable to most attacks, and he won't be one-shotting anyone like a Duskblade might.

9. - Top - End - #9

and lol, maybe not

Sure, Abjurant Champion's from Complete Mage and Spellsword is from Complete Warrior, though, Spellsword is good only for a 1-level dip. Grab spells like Wraithstrike and various others that influence his form/weapon attacks. Yay, we have another viable sword and magic user! If going with this, also, consider the Battle Sorcerer variant from Unearthed Arcana.

EDIT: Swordsage'd. Kinda.
    Last edited by Critical; 2010-06-12 at 04:36 PM.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If going with this, also, consider the Battle Sorcerer variant from Unearthed Arcana.
    Blech, no never! Terrible terrible terrible! Worst sorcerer trap ever!

11. - Top - End - #11

Blech, no never! Terrible terrible terrible! Worst sorcerer trap ever!
    Yeah, but, it's not a PC, it's a BBEG. He'll die anyway.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

lol thanks guys, but may i say, i know this is fussy, but id like to refrain from dipping into like 6 different classes, i will do 3 at most, i would prefer 1 or 2

though if worst comes to worst i will keep that combination(s) you said in mind
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

lol thanks guys, but may i say, i know this is fussy, but id like to refrain from dipping into like 6 different classes, i will do 3 at most, i would prefer 1 or 2

though if worst comes to worst i will keep that combination(s) you said in mind
    Then just Wizard X if you want to keep it simple. Cast Polymorph if you feel like going into melee, but you're better off just casting control spells from afar and sending minions after them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Then just Wizard X if you want to keep it simple. Cast Polymorph if you feel like going into melee, but you're better off just casting control spells from afar and sending minions after them.
    hmmmm true, i already have a wizard as his right hand man but... hmm i may make him a polymorphing focused wizard?

i would like him to be able to enter combat efficiently
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

hmmmm true, i already have a wizard as his right hand man but... hmm i may make him a polymorphing focused wizard?

i would like him to be able to enter combat efficiently
    There's the Master Transmogrifist class in CArc, but it's pretty bad. Polymorph is more than good enough without needing much help, but you can make him a race like Tiefling so he can Polymorph into Outsiders.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's the Master Transmogrifist class in CArc, but it's pretty bad. Polymorph is more than good enough without needing much help, but you can make him a race like Tiefling so he can Polymorph into Outsiders.
    ah true true, could instead just look into more exotic races, i would like human buuuut, maybe ill have to sacrifice that for the sake of being generally a better villain/BBEG

i shall give tiefling a look
    any other suggestions for races i could look into?
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

A level 20 Duskblade with a level 17 Wizard is what I'm thinking, assuming this guy is at the max levels...

that makes me laugh, see, because the Wizard could kick the Duskblade's butt.

On-topic: You should go for a full Duskblade 20 and make the guy pretty good, but not fantastic. After all, your party consists (tier-wise) of: 1 (Cleric), 2 (Sorc), 3 (Bard), 4 (Rogue), 5 (Fighter).

Your median tier is 3, which is exactly what the Duskblade is. If you optimize his ridiculously with Chain-Trip and all that, you'll make him a lot stronger than your party (I'm assuming your party isn't full of people who are optimizing with Handbooks and all, since your bard is going Swashbuckler and your Cleric wants to be a Dracolyte). Just get a Duskblade with focused in "BOOM I make things explode!" He'll be suited for a BBEG, should be simple to run as a DM, and the players will find him easy enough to take down, assuming they actually try at it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by For Valor View Post
    A level 20 Duskblade with a level 17 Wizard is what I'm thinking, assuming this guy is at the max levels...

that makes me laugh, see, because the Wizard could kick the Duskblade's butt.

On-topic: You should go for a full Duskblade 20 and make the guy pretty good, but not fantastic. After all, your party consists (tier-wise) of: 1 (Cleric), 2 (Sorc), 3 (Bard), 4 (Rogue), 5 (Fighter).

Your median tier is 3, which is exactly what the Duskblade is. If you optimize his ridiculously with Chain-Trip and all that, you'll make him a lot stronger than your party (I'm assuming your party isn't full of people who are optimizing with Handbooks and all, since your bard is going Swashbuckler and your Cleric wants to be a Dracolyte). Just get a Duskblade with focused in "BOOM I make things explode!" He'll be suited for a BBEG, should be simple to run as a DM, and the players will find him easy enough to take down, assuming they actually try at it.

hmm thanks, some more points towards Duskblade i see then

hmm alright, now im intrigued, i will have to look to see which i will prefer and which will make moree sense...

however now that i think of it, i may still look for a more exotic race for him... any suggestions?

OH also, didnt say ealier, i meant to, his right hand man wizard is a Golem maker, specifically, stone and iron, i got him almost completely worked out, he's human btw just if ya wanna know...
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

If I had to suggest something... Cheat. The worst humanoid opponents are ones not made by the same rules as the party for creation.

So, if he must be a Duskblade, make him a Gesalt. Duskblade X//Factotum X, no more stats to rely on and expands the spellcasting quite a bit without making him a full wizard. Will still have the Duskblade feel, but have quite a bit of flexibility as well. Duskblade adds raw power, Factotum adds the twist to make him more cunning, planning and unpredictable.

This makes a BBEG that the party won't want to face head on, and will push for a more thoughtful approach, hopefully. Otherwise, a fun TPK on the first round of combat as he has superb action economy...

Edit: This also makes a BBEG that they will likely have to face several times and will continue to be a thorn in their side, as he can be a slippery prick.
    Last edited by VirOath; 2010-06-12 at 05:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

any other suggestions for races i could look into?
    Aasimar villains are cool, rare and have a lot of plot-hook possibilities. Not to mention the great outsider type.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VirOath View Post
    If I had to suggest something... Cheat. The worst humanoid opponents are ones not made by the same rules as the party for creation.

So, if he must be a Duskblade, make him a Gesalt. Duskblade X//Factotum X, no more stats to rely on and expands the spellcasting quite a bit without making him a full wizard. Will still have the Duskblade feel, but have quite a bit of flexibility as well. Duskblade adds raw power, Factotum adds the twist to make him more cunning, planning and unpredictable.

This makes a BBEG that the party won't want to face head on, and will push for a more thoughtful approach, hopefully. Otherwise, a fun TPK on the first round of combat as he has superb action economy...

Edit: This also makes a BBEG that they will likely have to face several times and will continue to be a thorn in their side, as he can be a slippery prick.
    AH lovely brilliant, thank you very much, thats seems almost perfect!

where can i find factotum?
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

AH lovely brilliant, thank you very much, thats seems almost perfect!

where can i find factotum?
    Dungeonscape.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aasimar villains are cool, rare and have a lot of plot-hook possibilities. Not to mention the great outsider type.
    thank you, again, where can i find it? im not rehearsed in my sourcebook content knowledge
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

thank you, again, where can i find it? im not rehearsed in my sourcebook content knowledge
    Aasimar is in the MM1

Lesser Aasimar has no LA but can be affected by both Outsider and Humanoid Spells and is in one of the FR books, Races Of I believe.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VirOath View Post
    Dungeonscape.
    thank you

and thanks for the aasimar reference too
    Last edited by Flail_master; 2010-06-12 at 05:38 PM.
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not so much that the Duskblade lacks power, but that it lacks options. All he'll ever do is deal lots of damage. He has barely anything that will allow him to defend himself or make the fight interesting. I suggest giving him a partner who will buff him and otherwise make the fight interesting.

(Besides, single humanoid opponents, unless they're from the big 3 classes, will simply get overwhelmed by action economy even if they're 5 levels above the recommended CR.)

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

27. - Top - End - #27

Huh. I didn't know they were that good. Did WotC actually create a decent damage-dealing gish class by accident, or is that with a standard ubercharger build plus Arcane Strike?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    It's not so much that the Duskblade lacks power, but that it lacks options. All he'll ever do is deal lots of damage. He has barely anything that will allow him to defend himself or make the fight interesting. I suggest giving him a partner who will buff him and otherwise make the fight interesting.

(Besides, single humanoid opponents, unless they're from the big 3 classes, will simply get overwhelmed by action economy even if they're 5 levels above the recommended CR.)
    lol how many time shave i said thank you now but, thanks this is all very helpful guys, specially this, i shall take this into account and make his right hand man have buffing spells as well as the ones required for golem making
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firkraag View Post
    Huh. I didn't know they were that good. Did WotC actually create a decent damage-dealing gish class by accident, or is that with a standard ubercharger build plus Arcane Strike?
    It's just Arcane Strike supernova being awesome when you're only expecting to fight a single fight that day. It's significantly less powerful for PCs.

30. - Top - End - #30

It's just Arcane Strike supernova being awesome when you're only expecting to fight a single fight that day. It's significantly less powerful for PCs.
    Ah, benefits of BBEGs. I see.