New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Overlooked Spells

Related to this thread, what are some spells that you feel are oft passed over but don't deserve to be?

I am a particular fan of cloud of knives and legion of sentinels. Both have some very amazing uses (particularly legion of sentinels coupled with a bull-rushing dungeoncrasher fighter), but they are frequently passed over for other, more well-known spells.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Overlooked Spells

Flaming Sphere is mostly unused by the people I know. Heck, even I didn't use it until just recently. I mean, it only does 2d6(Reflex for 0) damage...But then you realize that in a long fight you can cast it and use a spell+deal and extra 2d6 damage. I also used it to map out a maze and set off several traps that would have gotten us.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Alot of the people in my group overlook Alter's Fortune and Unluck
    Find them both to be pretty solid spells, even if Alter's has a 200 exp cost, that one reroll might just be required.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Regal Procession(SpC) Why sell one horse when you can sell dozens?
    Fireburst, and Greater Fireburst(SpC) Very good blasts for their level.
    1d8 / 1d10 per level.
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Bigby's Grasping Hand - The best of the "Bigby's Hand" family (well, at least of the combat ones; can't really compete with the more "private-use" ones), it is fairly versatile (grapple, bull rush, or provide cover) and has an obscene grapple check (CL + Int/Cha + 14 tends to get big). Rarely used mostly because it's evocation and everyone dumps it, but I like it on my sorcerers.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

This is really hard since my considerations are colored mostly by my own perception and as I'm not aware of others' awareness on a grand number of spells, it's really hard to call what's overrated (would Battlemagic Perception qualify? Anticipate Teleport? Bands of Steel? Defenestrating Sphere? Benign Transposition? All incredible spells not mentioned all that often, but ones I'd assume to be common knowledge anyways). Anyways, here's one I think gets passed over quite often:

Combust [SpC]: One of the better seeds spells for metamagic; 1d8/lvl (up to 10d8) damage from a 2nd level slot with no save or attack roll (though SR).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Flaming Sphere is mostly unused by the people I know. Heck, even I didn't use it until just recently. I mean, it only does 2d6(Reflex for 0) damage...But then you realize that in a long fight you can cast it and use a spell+deal and extra 2d6 damage. I also used it to map out a maze and set off several traps that would have gotten us.
    Try plopping Fell Drain on it.

Edit: Huh, I was thinking of Produce Flame. Fell Drain still would be rather fun to put on Flaming Sphere, though. Produce Flame has a wizardly counterpart in Snilloc's Snowball, from Unapproachable East. Both are decent spells for a low level character.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2010-06-12 at 11:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Try plopping Fell Drain on it.
    LOLERYINCOMING.

No, really, that's a good one.

One spell I dearly love but no one else seems to even know exists is Toothed Tentacle, from Lost Empires of Faerun. Sor/Wiz 2, gives you three 10-ft tentacles you can attack with on your turn at like BAB+casting mod and that deal reasonably good damage. Oh, and you can still move around on your turn while directing them. It's good times.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Howling Chain and Flight of the Dragon, like many evocation spells, sometimes get overlooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    Howling Chain and Flight of the Dragon, like many evocation spells, sometimes get overlooked.
    What is Flight of the Dragon, and where's it from? I love me some Howling Chain, but don't know the other one.

Oh, the altered Black Tentacle spells from Shining South (Fiery Tentacles and Enervating Tentacles or something like that) are fun too. One does fire damage+being black tentacles, the other drains levels+black tentacles. Always good times.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Bladeweave from SpC. Swift action to activate this 2nd level spell, and stuff you hit (and then hit again with a free touch attack) are dazed for a round. War Cry (I think also SpC, there are at least two War Cries though) is similar, but 4th level, panics instead, and you don't need a second attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Radiant Assault, another decent Evocation from SpC. Its a [Light] spell, so its unresistable. Oh, and it has a will save, which means Evasion can get bent. Mettle still works, but you can't have everything. Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it...the will save ALSO DAZES YOU FOR 1d6 ROUNDS!!!!

It also appears on the cleric list. Funny thing is when you have 2 levels of RSoP, you get a free +1 Heighten and a Widen Spell effect applied. Who knew being a healbot was so satisfying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Helping Hand. You might question the utility of a spell that sends a ghostly hand to guide people to you. Besides the obvious uses, it's hilarious to use on people who are hiding. There's no way to avoid the hand detecting you besides not giving the caster a good description (it's Evocation, not Divination, which amusingly helps here), and the spellcaster can also see the hand. Therefore, the caster knows enough to start dropping AoE's, or directing the wizard to throw Glitterdust.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

The shivering touch spells were unknown among my circle of friends until I took a red dragon's dexterity down to 0 and then coup-de-graced it. I think he'll be throwing white dragons at us instead from now on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    [B](well, at least of the combat ones; can't really compete with the more "private-use" ones)
    Are these in BOEF?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, right, mustn't forget this ungodly broken spell I found in Spellbook (which obviously inspired Bladeweave):

Bladesong (Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2) - Once per round, if you hit an enemy with your weapon, you can make a touch attack against them as a free action. If the touch succeeds, they're dazed for 1 round, no save (Will negates applies to the weapon). Can you say dazelock? At high levels when touch-attacks are pretty much auto-hit, this lets you steal the turn of anyone with nearly 95% success, and daze works on nearly everything. It's also easily Quickened or Persisted if you allow Persist on Touch spells or use Reach Spell. So broken for a 2nd level spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Are these in BOEF?
    If not, they should be.
    Last edited by PId6; 2010-06-12 at 11:50 PM.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    What is Flight of the Dragon, and where's it from? I love me some Howling Chain, but don't know the other one.

Oh, the altered Black Tentacle spells from Shining South (Fiery Tentacles and Enervating Tentacles or something like that) are fun too. One does fire damage+being black tentacles, the other drains levels+black tentacles. Always good times.
    Wow, how did I turn Lord of the Sky into... That's not just a typo...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    Wow, how did I turn Lord of the Sky into... That's not just a typo...
    Technically, the question stands. Don't recognize Lord of the Sky either.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Flight of the Dragon is a transmutation spell from Draconomicon. It's basically draconic Red Bull.

EDIT: Lord of the Sky is from Dragon Magic. It gives magical flight and lightning bolts.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2010-06-13 at 12:42 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This might not be a great spell(or maybe it's really well known, but I don't hear it mentioned), but the description is solid and the ability seems nice: Phantasmal Assailants(SC). It gets two saves(will for nothing, fort half), but if they fail both, let 'em eat 8 dex AND 8 wis damage. I was trying to sling this around with a sudden empower the other day. Soooo much stat damage!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

prestidigitation!

need a torch lit? BINGO!

breaking in and need to clean up the glass? BINGO?

not wanting the gruel you are eating to taste like gruel? BINGO!

want to make the barbarian's centaur steak dinner to taste like pineapple? BINGO!

want to gather up the coins that the crowd threw to the bard while he was singing? BINGO!

easily the best cantrip, and a solid spell for RP any day.
    sometimes you just want to play something completely overpowered and kill things, other times you want to play a bard with a point-buy 18...

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm pretty sure NO ONE overlooks Prestidigitation.

Except those with no brains. Wait a minute, that's a pretty common trait.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two favorites. None are earth-shatteringly awesome, but fun and handy. Both are in the Spell Compendium.

Manyjaws. 3rd level Sor/Wiz. Up to ten sets of jaws made of force appear, and attack who you wish for 1d6 each, Ref half. Can be maintained for up to 3 rounds.

I think this one tends to be ignored simply for the reason that direct damage spells are not considered optimal. Which is true, but I think every wizard should have at least one, and this isn't a bad choice. The jaws can affect incorporeal enemies, the damage is untyped, they automatically hit with the save only halving the damage, the fact that it can be maintained means that you can chew away quite a bit of damage over time which makes this a nice choice if you are low on spell slots, and unlike a fireball or lightning bolt there is no danger of blasting your melee-fighting party members. At the very least I'd rather carry around a wand of this than the more traditional fireball.

Entice Gift. 2nd level Sor/Wiz, Bard. The subject must succeed on a will save or give you whatever he is holding. You can act out of turn to take it.

This one is just plain fun. Against many enemies it's a nice, low level Save or Lose. Even some quite powerful monsters are wimps if they give up their weapons. Make the guard hand over the keys to your cell, a bard give up his instrument, a cleric his holy symbol (though in that case he may not actually need to be holding it). Maybe even get the BBEG to offer you the plot MacGuffin (though then you might need to make a Ref save against a hurled DMG). It's not a supremely useful spell, but such a fun way to end (or avoid) a fight.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2010-06-13 at 02:15 AM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

24. - Top - End - #24

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Combust [SpC]: One of the better seeds spells for metamagic; 1d8/lvl (up to 10d8) damage from a 2nd level slot with no save or attack roll (though SR).
    Well, it's a Touch Attack to deliver the spell, right?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I believe so. Spectral hand makes it even better, sorta-sniping enemies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, which is actually a plus at high levels/epic since it gets around Ray Deflection.

27. - Top - End - #27

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Bladeweave from SpC. Swift action to activate this 2nd level spell, and stuff you hit (and then hit again with a free touch attack) are dazed for a round..
    Where do you get the second attack from? Maybe I'm not reading the spell right, but it says that you select one target that you've hit with a melee attack during the round, and that target has to make a will save or be dazed.

Sweet spell, but you don't seem to need the second touch attack.

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Yes, which is actually a plus at high levels/epic since it gets around Ray Deflection.
    And the touch attack makes it work sweetly with Sneak Attacks! :)

Hunter's Eye and Combust makes for a great "Hello and welcome to the first round of combat"-gift when you win initiative.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Where do you get the second attack from? Maybe I'm not reading the spell right, but it says that you select one target that you've hit with a melee attack during the round, and that target has to make a will save or be dazed.

Sweet spell, but you don't seem to need the second touch attack.
    It's Bladesong that needs the second touch attack, which I've talked about above. It's Bladeweave's massively more broken uncle.
    Last edited by PId6; 2010-06-13 at 02:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

One Cleric spell that I've read about but never seen used is Turn Anathema from CC (I believe).

Basically it allows you to turn Good/Evil/Chaotic/Lawful (depending on your alignment) beings as if they were undead. Given that moste higher level undeads have turn resistance, but VERY few other monsters than Undead have turn resistance, it seems to be crazy good in some situations (being attacked by a bunch of Fiendish creatures, or hordes of Dretches, etc)

Am I reading the spell wrong, or is it this (situationally) awesome?

Our Party has used Knight's Move (SpC) to great success when faced with an opponent in a tight dungeon. Our Cleric teleports to a flanking position, allowing the Rogue to take a full attack with sneak attacks on his initiative count.
    Last edited by Thespianus; 2010-06-13 at 02:49 AM.