New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Possibly Humorous Idea for a NPC

I just thought of an idea for a character i may slip into my campaign.
    A bard named Murphy (as in Murphy's law) where if he plays his bardic performance it has negative effects instead of positive ones.
    I have 3 questions
    1:Should he be lawful, because no matter what happens everything obeys the law and goes wrong, chaotic, because his inconvenience of everything going bad is unpredictable, or true neutral because the two sides of the coin don't make him lawful or chaotic but completely indifferent to the consequences of his presence?
    2: Would you catch on simply by hearing Murphy the bard as a player?
    3: As a player when you figured out the mystery would you find it humorous?
    Last edited by Aeromyre; 2010-06-13 at 08:10 AM.
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

My Improved Fighter Variant

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Possibly Humorous Idea for a NPC

Quote Originally Posted by Aeromyre View Post
    A bard named Murphy (as in Murphy's law) where if he plays his bardic performance it has negative effects instead of positive ones.
    I have 3 questions
    1:Should he be lawful, because no matter what happens everything obeys the law and goes wrong, chaotic, because his inconvenience of everything going bad is unpredictable, or true neutral because the two sides of the coin don't make him lawful or chaotic but completely indifferent to the consequences of his presence?
    1-Bards can't be lawful.
    2-No, but might make a Murphey's Law joke, and not realise it's more than a coincidence.
    3-???
    4-Profit.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeromyre View Post
    I have 3 questions
    1: Chaotic. Bards generally need to be non-lawful, and Murphy's Law is one of the greatest principles of chaos.

2: Might be suspicious. But suspicions will comfirmed once he starts singing. So be prepared in case your players tie him to a tree and leave him for rabid dire wolves.

3: I would find it funny for a little bit. But tying him up to a tree and using prestidigitation to make him smell like doggie kibble would be even funnier.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NMBLNG View Post
    1: Chaotic. Bards generally need to be non-lawful, and Murphy's Law is one of the greatest principles of chaos.

2: Might be suspicious. But suspicions will comfirmed once he starts singing. So be prepared in case your players tie him to a tree and leave him for rabid dire wolves.

3: I would find it funny for a little bit. But tying him up to a tree and using prestidigitation to make him smell like doggie kibble would be even funnier.
    Lmao yeah i think i will do that

And *Facepalm* for forgetting bards are nonlawful
    Me: "I am the all powerful force that holds the universe together, but at the same time i don't exist" Jeremy: "Oh so you're like God?" Me: "NO! I'm better than God...I'm the Dungeon Master"

My Improved Fighter Variant