New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Burrowing Monsters [3.5]

How many extremely low-CR creatures have burrow speeds? By low, I mean equal to or lower than 3.

The actual burrow speed doesn't matter--just that it has a burrow speed.

List

Thoqqua - CR 2
    Minor Xorn - CR 3
    Badger - CR 1/2
    Dire Badger - CR 2
    Asabi (Monsters of Faerun) - CR 1
    Wildren (Planar Handbook) - CR 1
    Clockroach (Monster Manual IV) - CR 1
    Ankheg - CR 3
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-06-13 at 04:11 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Burrowing Monsters [3.5]

Badger - CR ½
    Dire Badger - CR 2
    Asabi [Monsters of Faerun] - CR 1
    Wildren [Planar Handbook] - CR 1
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Badger - CR ½
    Dire Badger - CR 2
    Asabi [Monsters of Faerun] - CR 1
    Wildren [Planar Handbook] - CR 1
    I can't believe I forgot the badger.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Clockroach, CR1, MMIV, can be a nasty little surprise, especially with it's abilities.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm fond of the CR 3 Ankheg.

Our party had just finished some arena style thing so we got various special pets. The party Paladin (or Cleric) got a Huge Animated Statue, the Wizard got a Nightmare, the Fighter got a Barghest, various other party members I can't remember the classes of got other pets (including a Mummy and an Earth Elemental). I got an Ankheg (advanced to Huge size). These had been generated through the method of "newbie picked something cool and appropriate from the MM with a CR equal to the party level -2 (-3 if the creature could fly)". This ended up with some really wonky balance, as was shown when we went into a "non-canon" gladiatorial match to the death, using our recently obtained beasts.

Surviving party members were a Ranger (whose player left due to not wanting to learn the rules, coming to sessions for inspiration with plots. While cool on the second part, the first slowed anything he did to a crawl, up to and including attacks and skill checks, so I'm kind of glad he's left. His playing Spore whilst we were gaming irritated our usual DM so he would get bored even if he stayed to watch) on a Griffon and me underground on my Ankheg.

A few hilarious things happened in that fight, from the Wizard getting knocked out shortly after turn one by the Ranger's bow and his Nightmare going Ethereal to stay out of the way of more shots like that, to me getting bull-rushed off of my Ankheg into packed earth by the Elemental whilst underground (I am so glad my pet had the brains to rescue me). Eventually it got to the Ranger flying around trying to see me and me hiding underground for him to touch down. We called that a draw. He could try to collapse the holes to the surface to deny me air but I could reopen them. I could try to crush him if he landed to rest, but he'd need to be in tremorsense range and preferably not on the raised (but still earth) stands, which were cleared for the occasion.
    Last edited by ScionoftheVoid; 2010-06-13 at 03:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Giant Hamster in Kencyclopedia is CR 1/6 and has a burrow speed of 5.
    Last edited by Sindri; 2010-06-13 at 04:29 PM.