New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default [3.5] hunter of dragons

Ok, I have a gestalt build in my head for a character and I want to see what the playground thinks.

I want to gestault built a crossbow fighter who fights from the back of a mount with a great crossbow. The idea is a charcter who hunts dragons, not in thier caves, but on the wing. The plan is to gestault Fighter // Feat Rogue.
    This gives a feat spread something like this
    Spoiler
    Show

Fla -
    Fla -
    1st -
    Hu -
    Fi1 -
    ro1 -
    Fi2 -
    Ro2 -
    3rd -
    Fi4 -
    Ro4 -
    6th -
    Fi6 -
    Ro6 -

14 feats by level 6
    some of them are fairly set. I am thinking something like this
    Spoiler
    Show

Fla - Point blank shot
    Fla - Precise Shot
    1st -EWP Great Crossbow
    Hu -Wild Cohort
    Fi1 -Mounted Combat
    ro1 -Mounted Archery
    Fi2 -Farshot
    Ro2 -
    3rd -
    Fi4 -
    Ro4 -
    6th -
    Fi6 -
    Ro6 -

Now I am wondering what else I sould throw in. There must be some aw inspireing crossbow feats outhere. Any ideas playgrounders?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] hunter of dragons

Take a quick peek in the draconomicon. there's stuff like dragon hunter and draonfoe that, while specialized, can be quite useful. evasion against dragon breath weapons with just one feat? yeah, specialized, but if you're going to fight a few dragons it definitely improves your surivivability. I also suggest taking a look at the Dragonslayer and dragon stalker PrCs in that book
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3

RogueGuy

I take a look there. Thanks. Keep in mind that most of those feats must be fighter bonus feats.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Evasion against dragons is useless. Many breath weapons have fortitude or will saves to resist, the evasion granted does not extend to the mount (which will be pulverized by the damage if Metabreath feats are used), and the dragon usually won't use it against only 2 targets, and will rip your mount apart in a full attack.

Improved initiative is a given. Also Dodge (or the various and better Dodge variants out there) -> mobility -> elusive target makes 1 of your opponents not be able to Power attack you, a common tactic employed by dragons.

Try to take UMD so you can cast various defensive buffs (after all you are still a rogue) to protect your mount. False life, shield other and many others will improve your survivability or at the very least will cause the dragon to waste an action on dispel, or target you with a dispelling breath while he could do better things with his actions.

Rapid reload (a feat found in complete warrior) lets you reload your crossbow faster, and in some cases, benefit from various feats meant for longbow archers. I think there is also an enchantment that does the same but i am not sure. Crossbow sniper from Drow of the underdark lets you apply half of your dexterity modifier as a bonus to your damage with crossbow attacks from close range.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-06-14 at 11:39 AM.

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I say you take Beast Heart Addept on one side of the gestalt, to get a mount that will increase in power as you level up.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #6

RogueGuy

I am thinking Wild cohort to gain a mount and then useing the to have Dragon Steed to replace the warhorse with a dragonnel for flight and speed. By 6th level the dragonnel will have 9 HD, 19 AC, 20 str, and evasion. there is an extra feat gained by the mount due to HD. I am thinking powerclimb or run for rapid retreats

The idea is to use the dragonnel's speed to kite the dragon and engage from 600 to 700 ft away, far out of range for melee attacks or charges. Idealy the dragon won't even get close enough to use the breath weapon. Alternateing run actions should keep the dragon at arms reach.