Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Dragon Knight - 4e Paragon Path [PEACH]

    Dragon Knight
    Paragon Path
    Prerequisite: Worship of Io, Bahamut, Tiamat or other Dragon God.

    Dragon Knights are an order of knights that have sworn an oath to an elder dragon to serve their cause, uphold their ideals and fight their enemies. This is not an oath of subservience, but rather a promise to mirror the dragon's own behavior. By mimicing the dragon in such a way, they gain special abilities affiliated with that type of dragon.

    Draconic Affinity (11th Level): The Dragon Knight selects a type of dragon; they must have the same alignment as that dragon. They then gain resistance to the element of that dragon and deal an additional 1d6 damage whenever they deal damage of that element.

    Enduring Oath (11th Level): The dragon knight may spend an Action Point to regain an encounter power they have already used instead of taking an extra action.

    Dragonscale Aegis(16th Level): The Dragon Knight gains +1 to all defenses (AC, Fortitude, Reflex and Will) and Immunity to the element of their dragon idol.

    Draconic Attunement (20th Level): The Dragon Knight does an extra 1d6 damage from Draconic Affinity when using a corresponding element(for an extra 2d6 damage total), and gains all abilities that a wyrmling of their chosen dragon type have(i.e. Speak with Animals for a Brass dragon, or Water Breathing for a Black Dragon)


    Dragon Lance Dragon Knight Attack 11
    At-Will * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
    Standard Action Ranged 20
    Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex
    The Dragon Knight creates a bolt of elemental energy, which he throws at his target like a javelin.
    Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier elemental damage.
    Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power instead.

    Aura of Loyalty/Parity/Treachery Dragon Knight Utility 12
    Encounter * Arcane or Divine
    Minor Action Burst 5
    The Dragon Knight emanates an aura that exemplifies the power of his oath. This aura lasts for as many turns as their highest ability modifier.

    For Good players, the Aura of Loyalty inspires confidence in one's companions, and gives all allies in the area a +5 bonus to all defenses.

    For Neutral players, the Aura of Parity balances the battlefield and prevents all creatures within the aura from attacking unless they pass a DC 30 Will check. Creatures outside the aura trying to attack a creature inside the aura must pass the check as well. Non-damaging actions are uninhibited.

    For Evil players, the Aura of Treachery makes enemy creatures in the aura suspicious of each other, and they must pass a DC 30 Will check or suffer -5 to all defenses. If they fail by 15 or greater, they feel betrayed by their allies and treat everyone in their vicinity as hostile. Does not effect creatures without a mind.

    Dragon's Wrath Dragon Knight Attack 20
    Daily * Martial
    Standard Action
    Attack: Strength or Dexterity v.s. AC
    Embodying the ferocity, agility and adaptability of dragonkind, the Dragon Knight makes two attacks for [W] + Strength or Dexterity modifier damage. If both attacks are on the same target, he gains a +4 attack bonus on both attacks. If they are on different targets, he takes a -2 damage penalty on each attack. In addition, after the attack the Dragon Knight may use a minor action as an additional standard action, or gain an additional minor action. He may not both gain a minor action and use that minor action as a standard action.

    -----

    Just starting to get into D&D, so this may be horribly underpowered or overpowered, or just plain weird. I don't understand a lot of the mechanics yet. I was just trying to build this Path for my Dragonborn Cleric in one of my games.
    Last edited by RndmNumGen; 2010-06-14 at 02:46 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Excession's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragon Knight - 4e Paragon Path [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Draconic Affinity (11th Level): The Dragon Knight selects a type of dragon; they must have the same alignment as that dragon. They then gain resistance to the element of that dragon and deal an additional 1d6 damage whenever they deal damage of that element.
    Drop the alignment restriction, it makes very little sense in 4e. If nothing else, even gold dragons are listed as "Unaligned" now, there aren't any good dragons.

    The amount of resistance is missing, 5 + half level would be consistent.

    Does your additional 1d6 also apply to non-rolled damage? That could have strange effects if it turns an auto-damage or aura into a damage roll. Maybe make it an extra 1d6 to damage rolls for damage of that type.

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Enduring Oath (11th Level): The dragon knight may spend an Action Point to regain an encounter power they have already used instead of taking an extra action.
    Feels underpowered. I suspect that in most cases you'll be better of spending the action point to get another attack.

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Dragonscale Aegis(16th Level): The Dragon Knight gains +1 to all defenses (AC, Fortitude, Reflex and Will) and Immunity to the element of their dragon idol.
    The immunity is overpowered. Even ancient dragons don't get full immunity to their element.

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Draconic Attunement (20th Level): The Dragon Knight does an extra 1d6 damage from Draconic Affinity when using a corresponding element(for an extra 2d6 damage total), and gains all abilities that a wyrmling of their chosen dragon type have(i.e. Speak with Animals for a Brass dragon, or Water Breathing for a Black Dragon)
    This doesn't make sense for 4e dragons. Brass dragons don't actually have Speak with Animals for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Dragon Lance Dragon Knight Attack 11
    At-Will * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
    Standard Action Ranged 20
    Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex
    The Dragon Knight creates a bolt of elemental energy, which he throws at his target like a javelin.
    Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier elemental damage.
    Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power instead.
    This is the only part of the PP that depends on Str. If you let the player choose the the stat it would be useful to a much larger range of PCs. The attack bonus should scale with level. Look at the way similar powers (e.g. the dragonborn breath weapon) are written and copy that. Can the player choose the element each time they use this power, or is it chosen once when you get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Aura of Loyalty/Parity/Treachery Dragon Knight Utility 12
    Encounter * Arcane or Divine
    Minor Action Burst 5
    The Dragon Knight emanates an aura that exemplifies the power of his oath. This aura lasts for as many turns as their highest ability modifier.<snip>
    Horribly overpowered, overly complex, and doesn't fit in 4e mechanics.

    Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGen View Post
    Dragon's Wrath Dragon Knight Attack 20
    Daily * Martial
    Standard Action
    Attack: Strength or Dexterity v.s. AC
    Embodying the ferocity, agility and adaptability of dragonkind, the Dragon Knight makes two attacks for [W] + Strength or Dexterity modifier damage. If both attacks are on the same target, he gains a +4 attack bonus on both attacks. If they are on different targets, he takes a -2 damage penalty on each attack. In addition, after the attack the Dragon Knight may use a minor action as an additional standard action, or gain an additional minor action. He may not both gain a minor action and use that minor action as a standard action.
    Overly complex. No other comment because that would require understanding what you're trying to do with this power.

    Sorry to be critical, but I feel that this needs a lot of work.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dragon Knight - 4e Paragon Path [PEACH]

    Yeah, I expected it would. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to revise it some and repost it later.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Deathdarken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Dragon Knight - 4e Paragon Path [PEACH]

    seems cool why not post in my 4.0 homebrew thread for all of us 4,0ers to get together and criticize each other

    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155748

    there you go
    "Pickles are overpowered." - Jarian

    They say that I'm a Monster
    Say that I'm a killer
    But I'm human until proven guilty(guilty)- Deathdarken

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •