New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default How to throw Gnomes [3.5]

Inspired by some silliness at the BG fora, I thought up a crazy idea:

A Goliath with Knockback, Fling Ally/Enemy, Shock Trooper, and Improved Trip (and all the prereq's, of course) with levels in Dungeoncrasher Fighter and Bloodstorm Blade. You can fling Gnomes, knock people back with them, knock them into walls, knock them into each other, and have your Gnomes return to your hands, unharmed.

It's a novelty, until you take Vow of Poverty or levels in Kensai. Then you can enchant your Gnomes. Can you imagine a +5 Vorpal, Returning, Spell Storing Gnome?

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Builds would be welcome.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: How to throw Gnomes [3.5]

Just for personal style reasons I'd try to use dwarfs or hobbits. I'll admit that dwarfs would be harder cause of their medium size but still. Don't forget to take leadership for limitless ammo.

Off topic a bit but in a game I played in there was a 1/2 giant type who misunderstood how trap finding was supposed to work. We did have a 1/2 ling that he would chuck into areas where he guessed traps were. Didn't end well at all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

If your gnomes are Monks, you can get free Adamantine and Lawful on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If your gnomes are Monks, you can get free Adamantine and Lawful on them.
    have a wizard cast a contingency spell on the character (if it is a monk, evasion will help him take no damage from a contingency fireball. or maybe contingency enlarge, so that you have a medium sized halfling that you threw as a small.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Take leadership, obviously, for more gnome ammo. Have your gnome cohort be a dragonfire inspiration bard so then you could have flaming gnomes (better if you can go with sonic from Battle Dragon heritage).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strider24seven View Post
    A Goliath with Knockback, Fling Ally/Enemy, Shock Trooper, and Improved Trip (and all the prereq's, of course) with levels in Dungeoncrasher Fighter and Bloodstorm Blade.
    Why do people keep suggesting these horrible feats? You want to avoid Fling Ally/Enemy, because they require a standard action to throw, and this limits you to one Flung Ally/Enemy per round. Dip a level of Hulking Hurler for Throw Anything, and you can throw as many allies/enemies as you have iterative attacks and can get your hands on.

Or is Hulking Hurler almost always banned?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

almost always, but so is gnome flinging in most games. I am fairly sure that use as ammo is considered mistreating your followers. What you need to do is use Psy war to go into thral heard one level. Now you don't care about mistreating them, or even if you run out of gnomes for a day. They all come back the next day!

PS give them armor spikes! Flameing armor spikes! Vow of poverty says nothing about follower wealth!

PSS blood storm blade is for getting around the attack economy for the feat I think. It's to late to look up how though.

8. - Top - End - #8

Hurler will probably pulverize the gnomes on impact.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think "Throw Anything" might have limits (though I'm thinking hard on this).

Back in the day (it was a Tuesday) their existed a thing called a "Halfling Handle". We didn't toss gnomes back then we tossed Halflings. Mine had a +2 Dragon Slayer short sword. This worked out great with the party's barbarian, when fighting dragons. I could add the Barbarians strength damage to the 2x damage done by the sword when hitting a dragon! However the Barbarian critted once, but the poor halfling fumbled...We had to get a new halfling after that. Sad times...

O ya anyway "The Halfling Handle" was a magical device. It was a simple handle, but when affixed to the back of a halfling (or small sized creature) it affixed like super glue and allowed the wielder of the handle to fling the attached person with the Strength of a giant (I believe like a Stone Giant). Worked out great, but we tended to go through a lot of Halflings this way.

And a note on Leadership feat. It sais in the book that if your mean to your henchmen they will not follow you. Using gnomes as ammo is kinda mean, so you might need a slightly, dare I say, dumer munition.

Consider switching to snotlings if possible (those of you that know 40K are laffing your ass off right now).
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

+1 to thrallherd idea! thrwo liitle balls of steel (AKA GNOMES IN SPIKED FULLPLATE)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    +1 to thrallherd idea! thrwo liitle balls of steel (AKA GNOMES IN SPIKED FULLPLATE)
    Waste of good fullplate. Spiked Padded would probably be optimal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn080 View Post
    You are a thrallherd, t least one thrall can craft the fullplates
    Just call me Dusk

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

But you can't put armor spikes on padded armor...
    Edit: It has to be medium armor or greater, IIRC.

And the only reason I suggested Fling Ally/Enemy is to have versatility.
    "Oh, I ran out of Gnomes? I'll just throw this handy-dandy enemy wizard!"

Of course Hulking Hurler is more powerful. I suppose this is a theoretical build, so every little bit helps. And a dip in Thrallherd provides ammo. How nice. "Follow the jolly green giant, little folk..." Although the character is exalted...

Also, I'm AFB now, so would any of the Master Thrower Tricks work on Gnomes?
    Last edited by strider24seven; 2010-06-15 at 08:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

But you can't put armor spikes on padded armor...
    Edit: It has to be medium armor or greater, IIRC.

And the only reason I suggested Fling Ally/Enemy is to have versatility.
    "Oh, I ran out of Gnomes? I'll just throw this handy-dandy enemy wizard!"

Of course Hulking Hurler is more powerful. I suppose this is a theoretical build, so every little bit helps. And a dip in Thrallherd provides ammo. How nice. "Follow the jolly green giant, little folk..." Although the character is exalted...

I suppose so, IIRC Master Thtower abilities only refer to throwing weapons, and due your gnomes being considered throwing weapons If I were your DM I would say yes, mainly on the grounds of rule of funny/awesome
    Just call me Dusk

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trip Shot? :) Deadetye shot will increase the crit multiplierof your gnome/hobbit, Doubletoss will allow you to throw two at once.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

So a level or two of Master Thrower to get Doubletoss may be in order.

Just out of curiosity, can you use MT throw tricks with the Bloodstorm Blade abilities? Bloodstorm Blade lets you treat your throws as a melee attack at range, so would that exclude your MT tricks?

Edit: Trip shot would be cool, but Bloodstorm Blade+Knockback+Shocktrooper lets you trip multiple foes AND bullrush them. Battlefield control with GNOMES (or halflings).
    Last edited by strider24seven; 2010-06-15 at 10:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

What happens if your partner is a Barbarian with Battle Jump?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm, yea, that would be an interesting idea. If you threw gnomish barbarians with Battle Jump, and you threw them in an arc with a little bit of hang time, the resulting fall would give them enough powah to execute a Battle Jump. Granted, you'd probably lose YOUR Str bonus to damage, given that you are using most of your strength to heave them vertically, rather than horizontally, but at least the falling gnome would deal double damage due to Battle Jump.

There was an old trap in the 2e netbook of tricks and traps that involved a long dungeon hallway with a high ceiling, a couple of cheaply crafted catapults, a like number of ogres to operate, and a couple dozen kobalds. The resulting kobaldapult did equal damage to the target as it did to the ammo, but if the shot missed, the kobalds could tuck and roll, generally standing up in a position to flank the party. Hillarity ensues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Hmmmm, yea, that would be an interesting idea. If you threw gnomish barbarians with Battle Jump, and you threw them in an arc with a little bit of hang time, the resulting fall would give them enough powah to execute a Battle Jump. Granted, you'd probably lose YOUR Str bonus to damage, given that you are using most of your strength to heave them vertically, rather than horizontally, but at least the falling gnome would deal double damage due to Battle Jump.

There was an old trap in the 2e netbook of tricks and traps that involved a long dungeon hallway with a high ceiling, a couple of cheaply crafted catapults, a like number of ogres to operate, and a couple dozen kobalds. The resulting kobaldapult did equal damage to the target as it did to the ammo, but if the shot missed, the kobalds could tuck and roll, generally standing up in a position to flank the party. Hillarity ensues.
    You might lose your STR bonus, but you gain falling item damage in addition to double damage from Battle Jump. Throw the gnomes high enough for 20d6 fall damage to whatever they hit. Whirlwind attack might be useful too, so you can throw the gnomes into the middle of a pack of enemies and hit them all at once for double damage. At least if those two stack.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    Just for personal style reasons I'd try to use dwarfs or hobbits. I'll admit that dwarfs would be harder cause of their medium size but still. Don't forget to take leadership for limitless ammo.
    Hobbits, maybe, but nobody tosses a DWARF!

Also, make sure you enchant one of your throwing gnomes with Brilliant Energy, so you can toss them through walls and let them go scouting. (The "significant portion" part may be up for debate, but since the whole gnome is an improvised weapon I'd say you have a strong argument for it's entire body becoming energy.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know why, but now I have the image of a druid throwing summoned dire badgers...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Better than throwing Dire Badgers would be throwing Dire Weasels. Weasels have a nasty Attach ability, and Con drain is ALWAYS a bad thing. Super Lunar Mega Esanguination Attack GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Query: If you use Gnomes as improvised melee weapons, and use Kensai or VoP to enchant them with Dancing (Not sure if that works), what sorts of attacks do they get?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

What if you took 2 gnomes, handcuffed them together, and wielded them together? Gnome-chucks? I think it would be safe to assume that its an exotic, improvised weapon, and stack on the penalities unless you took Martial Weapon Proficency (Gnome) and Exotic Weapon Proficency (Gnome-chucks)...

I sense much yo dawg jokes and lulz approaching.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Query: If you use Gnomes as improvised melee weapons, and use Kensai or VoP to enchant them with Dancing (Not sure if that works), what sorts of attacks do they get?
    Doesn't work with Kensai. That requires you to be using a natural, or masterwork weapon. Gnomes aren't masterworked, or natural

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by VirOath View Post
    Doesn't work with Kensai. That requires you to be using a natural, or masterwork weapon. Gnomes aren't masterworked, or natural
    Gnomes are natural. Pseudonatural Paragon Dire Gnomes aren't.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone care to actual stat out eat level? What classes/feats to take at what levels?
    This statement is false.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Personally, I would be a Goliath and go at least 6 levels in Dungeoncrasher Fighter, then probably some levels in Hulking Hurler and Kensai, and take VoP as late as possible so you can buy tomes of strength. Take Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper, Knockback, and possibly Combat Expertise and Improved Trip. That's a lot of feats, though, so depending on the availability of flaws, you may need to pick and choose.

I'm pretty sure any DM who is willing to let you have Weapon Focus (Gnome) will let you have levels in Kensai so you can have Weapon of Choice (Gnome). Either way, VoP lets you have up to +5 Gnomes anyway. I'd love to have Brilliant Energy Gnomes, just so I can have LAZER GNOMES!1!

You could also throw a Gnome with Battle Jump that has levels in Black Blood Cultist, to grapple your foes and Savage Grapple them. Then you throw Savage Gnomes.
    Last edited by strider24seven; 2010-06-15 at 02:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

What if, instead of levels in Kensai, you make the Gnome take levels of Monk and Kensai and enchant himself?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

If a gnome monk/kensi had brilliant energy though, you'd have no where to hold him by, and he would fall through the earth if he ever stepped off the lawn. Hmmmm....lawn....gnome....LAWN GNOMES! Thats why they can't escape! Egads!