New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Spellcasting Question [3.5]

Can a caster that's currently in the process of casting a spell with a long casting time (let's say a 10-minute one, like Control Weather) cast a Feather Fall in the middle if he starts falling? What about a Quickened or Swift-action spell?

Edit: Should have probably posted in Q&A... wasn't thinking.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-06-15 at 11:45 PM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Spellcasting Question [3.5]

I can't find anything in the rules about this.

But I'd say, sure, why not. Just for the pure fun of it. I like the idea of a spellcaster having to concentrate hard on two magical actions at once. It has a nice dramatic feel to it. I'd count a quickened/swift/immediate spell as a disturbance, and have the caster roll a concentration check to hold onto the other long casting time spell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtide View Post
    I can't find anything in the rules about this.

But I'd say, sure, why not. Just for the pure fun of it. I like the idea of a spellcaster having to concentrate hard on two magical actions at once. It has a nice dramatic feel to it. I'd count a quickened/swift/immediate spell as a disturbance, and have the caster roll a concentration check to hold onto the other long casting time spell.
    I would second this ruling, and also agree that I have never seen anything in RAW that addresses this.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Players Handbook Page 174 would seem to say otherwise.

A spell that takes 1 minute to cast comes into effect just before your turn 1 minute later (and for each of those 10 rounds, yuou are casting a spell as a full-round action, just as noted above for 1-round casting times). These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.
    The other spell may be a free or swift action, but it is interrupting the casting of the first one. And I don't think a concentration check will suffice since the PHB states AUTOMATIC failure.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Players Handbook Page 174 would seem to say otherwise.

The other spell may be a free or swift action, but it is interrupting the casting of the first one. And I don't think a concentration check will suffice since the PHB states AUTOMATIC failure.
    Hm. So does this mean taking a 5-ft step interrupts my casting?
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're casting a long spell, then yes. Generally you don't want to be in a position where you need to take a 5' step while casting these sorts of things, because anything that would force you to take a 5' step would threaten you for the 10+ rounds you can't cast other spells (unless you're willing to lose the long spell).