New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5] negative levels question

just a quickie, was readin up on negative level rules, and its all good and well how it works, but it doesnt specify if it can kill someone, and if it can, how exactly?

also, from other DM's experiences, howre reactions and opinions of negative level bestowing monsters from PC's? because they really seem like they could annoy the players

thanks again
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Elf Paladin was made by BRC

Dwarf Barbarian made by Silversnowe

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 93: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] negative levels question

Negative levels kill a target if their negative levels are equal to or greater than their HD. Also, you can die if they reduce your HP below -10, but you'd have to have a really low HP total for that to work.

As for how they work in games...well negative levels are quite possibly the single most powerful effect you can impose on an enemy.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flail_master View Post
    just a quickie, was readin up on negative level rules, and its all good and well how it works, but it doesnt specify if it can kill someone, and if it can, how exactly?

also, from other DM's experiences, howre reactions and opinions of negative level bestowing monsters from PC's? because they really seem like they could annoy the players

thanks again
    " A character with negative levels at least equal to her current level, or drained below 1st level, is instantly slain. Depending on the creature that killed her, she may rise the next night as a monster of that kind. If not, she rises as a wight. "
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

Edit: and ninjad =p
    Last edited by Rannil; 2010-06-16 at 04:48 PM.
    ~~And now I'm moving... Shouldn't change that much in my posting... But Hitting is still allowed when I slack off.~~

Thanks a lot to GreenMuffin, again, for another awesome avatar. Steampunk warforged ftw!

My dragons:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Yes they can. There is a clause which states that if a character's negative levels ever equal their HD, then they die instantly. Essentially, if a fourth level character ever gets more than four negative levels at the same time, they die.

Edit - Man, double ninja'd?!
    Last edited by Viskocity; 2010-06-16 at 04:48 PM.
    "This house is invisible to the ignorant."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD: Energy Drained
    The character gains one or more negative levels, which might permanently drain the character’s levels. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies. Each negative level gives a creature the following penalties: -1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks; loss of 5 hit points; and -1 to effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities). In addition, a spellcaster loses one spell or spell slot from the highest spell level castable.
    That what you were looking for?

Link: SRD
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Negative levels kill a target if their negative levels are equal to or greater than their HD. Also, you can die if they reduce your HP below -10, but you'd have to have a really low HP total for that to work.

As for how they work in games...well negative levels are quite possibly the single most powerful effect you can impose on an enemy.
    thank you very much all of you, thanks for clearing that up, but my second may have been misunderstood, i understand its very powerful, my question is how (from your experience) players have reacted to the negative levels or what they think of them? overpowered? an unnecessary hindrance? etc
    Last edited by Flail_master; 2010-06-16 at 04:51 PM.
    My Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Elf Paladin was made by BRC

Dwarf Barbarian made by Silversnowe

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

DEGENERATION 93: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

my question is how (from your experience) players have reacted to the negative levels or what they think of them? overpowered? an unnecessary hindrance? etc
    A good reason to stay away from undead and/or keep a Restoration on hand.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Permanent negative levels without a local way of getting rid of them can be a real pain. Enervation is temporary, but it's also usually more dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Negative levels are often abused to turn RHD into real class levels, or to insta-kill people with Twin Maximized Split Ray Enervations. Getting your hands on the Gravewight template on a Hill Giant with Astral Vambraces nets you 4 attacks that each drain a level if they hit, and Savage Vampire applies to anything with lots of claws likewise drains an unholy amount of levels. Since Vampire is much easier on CR than it is on LA, you should avoid doing this lest the DM launch a few at you - with the advantage of sticking it on even worse monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10

Which book has the Gravewight template? I know Savage Species has the wight template, but I don't think that's the same thing.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #11

Standing Stone. It's an adventure module, to it's pretty obscure in that regard. I don't think it's actually got an LA listed, so it might be difficult to grab, but then neither does the regular Wight and SS makes it playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

thanks again
    Negative levels also deal 5 damage/one. So they can kill in 2 ways.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Depends. One Negative level? You'll be fine. Enveneration? It's basically a signal to leave immediately, unless you're above, well, at least 8th level.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune