New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Emotionless Character Effects

What sort of bonuses/penalties would an emotionless character get? I've already given immunity to fear and no morale bonuses/penalties, penalties to several skills, situational bonuses to Intimidate and a bonus to Bluff. What other stuff would an emotionless character receive?

I'd also like some thoughts on how one would roleplay such a character.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Emotionless Character Effects

What's the LA on this?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    What sort of bonuses/penalties would an emotionless character get? I've already given immunity to fear and no morale bonuses/penalties, penalties to several skills, situational bonuses to Intimidate and a bonus to Bluff. What other stuff would an emotionless character receive?

I'd also like some thoughts on how one would roleplay such a character.
    Thoughts on how to roleplay one? take a look at the Races of Eberron chapter on Warforged. sure, they do have emotions, but they're such an odd race that you should be able to glean some inspiration from them
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    This thrown DMG is not whacking you in the face. It's violently caressing you.
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd actually penalize bluff. Some of the best lies get people wrapped up in the emotions you're faking.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
    What's the LA on this?
    Aiming for as little as possible, I think it's done, I just don't know what sorts of things an emotionless creature would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    I'd actually penalize bluff. Some of the best lies get people wrapped up in the emotions you're faking.
    Yes, but if someone who never raises, lowers or otherwise changes their voice tone tells you something, how do you tell if it's true or not?
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2010-06-16 at 04:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

I played a semi-emotioinless Psion in one campaign (he wasn't really emotionless, but between losing his parents, then his sister, and then seeing all the horidness of the world he had become jaded and hid his emotions so well that he forgot he had them, except for with one person). He got a bonus to saves against emotion effects but a penalty to diplomacy checks due to a lack of empathy. I think it was a +2/-4.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Rage and similar effects wouldn't work.

You might grant a bonus to concentration checks that don't involve explicit outside distraction (for example, a bonus for using Diamond Mind maneuvers, but not for casting after being shot in the face).

An emotionless character doesn't have an emotional attachment to anything he 'likes.' You could make him immune to charm effects, or if this is too much, grant a bonus to those saves (and have him act like a normal friendly person for the duration if he fails the save). The same goes for a bard's fascinate.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To roleplay an emotionless character, you may want to try saying everthing using a monotone. Emotion tends to cause most of the voice inflection people speak with.

The character's actions should also be very controlled. Don't make the movements stiff and jerky, just make him move with a sense of precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    I believe the point is that your not faking an emotion, therefore your lies can't be detected through your emotional response. If the character was trying to fake an emotion on the other hand, it would give him a penalty. Thats only if he believed the emotional response would give credence to his story.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

People don't respond well to emotionless people.

Emotionless people should get negatives to intimidate, bluff, diplomacy and charisma.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Your presence alone gives other characters +2 to Perform (Comedy) as long as they use you as the straight man in their antics.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Your presence alone gives other characters +2 to Perform (Comedy) as long as they use you as the straight man in their antics.
    This. Just this.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoriph View Post
    People don't respond well to emotionless people.

Emotionless people should get negatives to intimidate, bluff, diplomacy and charisma.
    Why to intimidate? Wouldn't you be afraid of someone who was completely calm while killing your allies(and even when their allies die)?

And how do you tell if someone is lying if they never change their tone of voice, don't feel anxious about being caught, etc.?

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    Why to intimidate? Wouldn't you be afraid of someone who was completely calm while killing your allies(and even when their allies die)?

And how do you tell if someone is lying if they never change their tone of voice, don't feel anxious about being caught, etc.?
    Nope. And neither would any other human. A large part of what we feel is based off of what we perceive others as feeling. I'd be far more afraid of some angry Viking running up to me and yelling in my face about how he's going to chop me up, while brandishing his sword with barely subdued rage, then I would of some guy calmly walking up to me and saying the same thing.

There's a reason all animals and human armies try to look mean and ferocious instead of calm, cool and collected.
    Last edited by Theodoriph; 2010-06-16 at 05:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. And neither would any other human. A large part of what we feel is based off of what we perceive others as feeling.
    Hmm. Because I know I'd be more afraid of someone who expressionlessly slaughtered my allies as opposed to someone who seemed to act more normally while doing so.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The emotionless interrogator should get a bonus to intimidate if he questions while he tortures. That monotone would then be quite unnerving.

I agree with PersonMan when it comes to bluffing, although RP-wise no one should really know when he's telling the truth either.
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

16. - Top - End - #16

I believe a study was conducted where people were told to be completely monotone and give no facial expressions and were then told to have several interactions with people who were not told about this study.

The "emotionless" group had a much harder time getting people to donate money to their charity or pass a lie off as truth to (diplomacy and bluff) than the second group which was asked to do the same thing, but as they would normally do so.

I imagine intimidate would also suffer. If a guy calmly killed several people in front of me, it may be unnerving, but that's not what an intimidate check is. If a police officer interrogated me and told me I was going to jail so I'd better fess up, but he had no emotions, I wouldn't take him seriously.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

There's a difference between someone trying to act emotionless and someone who is emotionless, especially when it comes to bluffing (tells).

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeSoberDay View Post
    There's a difference between someone trying to act emotionless and someone who is emotionless, especially when it comes to bluffing (tells).
    Except there really isn't when the other party has no idea that the emotionless character really is emotionless. Most people would assume that the emotionless character just wasn't even trying to interact with them.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Does emotionless imply expressionless? If not, such a character could fake the appearance of emotions, the effectiveness of which depends on charisma. Essentially, operates as a normal character, if somewhat psychotic.

However, if a character is simply unable to express, I'd expect there to be penalties all around, even to bluff and intimidate. (But still keeping the immunity to emotion-based effects.) Being expressionless may make a great poker face, but that seems more like it would confer a penalty to an opponent's Sense Motive check than even a situational bonus to bluff.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Nope. And neither would any other human. A large part of what we feel is based off of what we perceive others as feeling. I'd be far more afraid of some angry Viking running up to me and yelling in my face about how he's going to chop me up, while brandishing his sword with barely subdued rage, then I would of some guy calmly walking up to me and saying the same thing.

There's a reason all animals and human armies try to look mean and ferocious instead of calm, cool and collected.

my thoughts on angry/emotional vs. calm
    Spoiler
    Show

as someone who went through a few years as a bully (and as someone messed up enough to enjoy scaring people)

i promise both over the top angry intimidation and a lack of apparent emotion can be used effectivly to scare the living hoo-ha out of somoene.

its all about knowing what buttons to push

*note: i have outgrown those juvenile tendencies.... i think

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say there is no penalty or bonus to any social skills. You see, reactions differ A LOT, meaning that the roll is the important thing there. Some people will be scared of a dead-eyed, emotionless, unnervingly calm person, others might see him as really bored. Such a variation demontrates that there is no innate advantage or disadvantage, it will change in each situation/interaction.
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

22. - Top - End - #22

Devil

IT seems that the benefits and penalties are essential contextual. YOu *can* intimidate someone with an eerie calmness, as well as appear weak and unimpressive if your demeanor is too unassuming. So it seems like they should get +X/-X (2 or 4 depending on extremity) depending in each instance. I would probably penalize skill rolls that rely on emotional recognition or communication (sense motive in many cases, bluff to convey secret messages, etc)

And I would probably penalize will, because emotions are a strong part in willpower--if you have no attachment to this or that, its a lot harder to struggle to achieve it.

Of course then there is the issue of Charm. best friend to this person is pretty much the same as worst enemy, aside from utility. So it would severely hamper the effects of charm, though the char would not be specifically immune, per se.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say you should gain a bonus to bluff against people who know you, but a penalty versus those who don't. Being completely emotionless means that those who know you can't get emotional tells from your voice and won't have any way to recognize whether you're lying or not. Against those who don't know you, they'd just be unnerved by your lack of emotion and distrust what you have to say on instinct.

Alternatively, it depends on the situation. If you're trying to convince someone you didn't commit a crime, it should be easier since you're neither angry nor afraid of getting caught. If you're trying to convince someone of specific facts, however, it might be harder because they can't empathize with you.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

This thread has gone on far too long without the mention of Spock or Vulcans.

Spock doesn't really talk in a monotone voice, he always has a calm demeanour. I don't think he gets a penalty or bonus to social skills. Even though he cannot appeal to the emotional side of people, he can still present well constructed logical arguments. (It's really hard to argue with a Vulcan). You also see Spock not lying, but rather omitting details or implying other things.

So no penalties/bonuses to social skills, though maybe a few circumstantial ones. Immunity to fear, and a bonus to charm and mind-effecting abilities.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

given thel iberal interpretation of bluff including both quirks and "poker faces", I'd say a creepy monothone character would be as good a bluffer as he trained himself into. It's probably easier to make the default initial reaction a step lower, before the person becomes actively hostile.
    The "Unfriendly" attitude fits quite well the first impressions of such character: Mislead, gossip, avoid, watch suspiciously, insult

Guidelines on immunities would count basically immunity to fear (maybe just nonmagical?) effects and stuff related to strong emotions(like rage, or anything a Calm Emotions would sate)
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-06-16 at 07:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you mean? Think about it, most of the best armies try to look calm, collected, and disciplined. Take the revolutionary war british for example. I mean they would wear red just so that it was hard to see their soldiers bleed, and the effect of watching them calmly continue fighting as their allies dropped dead after every barrage had to be terrifying. It seems to me that most of their intimidation was by saying "you can't hurt us", and then doing their best to show that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    What do you mean? Think about it, most of the best armies try to look calm, collected, and disciplined. Take the revolutionary war british for example. I mean they would wear red just so that it was hard to see their soldiers bleed, and the effect of watching them calmly continue fighting as their allies dropped dead after every barrage had to be terrifying. It seems to me that most of their intimidation was by saying "you can't hurt us", and then doing their best to show that.
    Most warfare, however, was barely composed of trained troops. Effective spread of discipline is a very post-gunpowder concept. When swords won wars, infantries were, basically, "hit here", "charge there" and "don't move from here". The most soldier-level organization was the proper lining up and replacing downed ranks. Archers and cavalry was much more disciplined, but that's because of the intrinsic need of lots and lots of training for those units. Playing "raging horde" was a powerful intimidation technique for infantry-infantry situations.
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-06-16 at 08:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I've got to query whether or not a non-emotional character would think to try to bluff or intimidate. Straight diplomacy would surely be a more logical approach.

Let's not forget that one unable to feel emotion would also be completely non-empathetic, so would have compromised sense motive/perception and would likely lose some ability to bluff/intimidate as you'd need to guage how effective the tactiv was

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ubercaledor View Post
    I've got to query whether or not a non-emotional character would think to try to bluff or intimidate. Straight diplomacy would surely be a more logical approach.

Let's not forget that one unable to feel emotion would also be completely non-empathetic, so would have compromised sense motive/perception and would likely lose some ability to bluff/intimidate as you'd need to guage how effective the tactiv was
    that is rather tricky. Psychopaths are, by definition, completely non empathetic to other beings, and don't feel most emotions the same way we do. That's a major factor in how they are so good at not looking like freaks without close observation.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Joystealers can create emotionless people by CHA-damaging someone to 0. Those people can't rage and aren't affected by morale penalties or bonuses. I forget what else it does, but I think that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting